Horrible Download Speed

Download Speed is 112mbs but I get max like 500kbs in-game when I join worlds and for others avatars to load it’s really annoying can anyone help

I have cleared the cash
and no antivirus or firewall has it blocked
this is the only game I have that does this
literally, normal downloads for everything else including steam have no issues and go super fast

Can you test your download speeds to Amazon CloudFront? Your connection could be having issues with AWS.
(Note: The link below will immediately start a speed test to AWS)
Amazon Web Services Network Test | CloudHarmony

As for possible fixes.
You can try disabling AutoTuningLevel to see if that helps at all. If it does not help, you should re-enable it as this feature can be quite important.
The link below is for Microsoft Flight Simulator, some users have reported success in disabling it for VRChat however.
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015761760-Slow-download-speed
EDIT (2021-05-19 JST): Some of the other proposed solutions in the link above with Microsoft Flight Simulator have been reported to help some users. If AutoTuningLevel doesn’t help you can try the other ones as well.

Another option is to try a VPN and see if that helps any.
Restarting your router is another thing you can try.

Idk if this means anything did the tests and this is what I have, going to try to turn off AutoTuning

I’ve been having this problem too. In the past, I’ve been connecting to worlds and downloading avatars fine, but at some point, the download speeds just dropped just for VRC. My download speeds are 330mbs but I was just getting 500kbs-1mbs when downloading worlds ingame, making it a waiting game to download 100+ mb worlds. I’ve tried just about every googled solution around this VRC slow download speed issue, from disabling IPv6, manual DNS setting, wired ethernet, disabling firewalls, VPN, disabling AutoTuningLevel, restarting router, setting VRChat.exe to Realtime priority in task manger, ect.
After a bit of frustration, and no real conclusions to people facing this same issue, I can report that what fixed it for me was another proposed solution by @Eternal_Ohm with the Microsoft Flight Simulator possible solutions, specifically the Delivery Optimization, much to my surprise by just trying it.

• In the “type here to search” bar, next to the Windows Start menu icon, type “Delivery optimization”
  • Select “Open”
  • Click on “Advanced Options”
  • Check the box “Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the background”, I didn’t have a slider but I set the limit to 900 mbs.

The manual limit set there got me back to normal download speeds in VRC. Hopefully this helps anyone else out there trying to search for a solution as much as I was.

2 Likes

After months of wanting to slam my head on my desk I finally found my personal solution. I had a program on my computer called Killer Network Manager. I found out that in the settings for it an option called Advanced Stream Detect was enabled and it was essentially throttling VRChat because it was considering it to be of low priority for bandwidth. Once I disabled Advanced Stream Detect and applied the change what took me 15 minutes for a 100MB world turned into 5 seconds. I hope this helps some people who have tried all other options and forums like I have been doing for a while.

Still after trying everything its not fixed Going to try to disable AutoTuning

If you can, I would try a VPN. I have heard of many people getting way better download and world load in times using a decent VPN

1 Like

after trying everything nothing has worked my game still only downloads at about 500kb-1mb per second.

1 Like

Did you uninstall Killer Network Manager completely?

1 Like

Setting autotuninglevel to normal has fixed this issue for me.

2 Likes

I solved this problem by modifying hosts, but I don’t know if it will also work under your local network conditions

Hey all. Still have this issue on my part as well.

I’ve tried VPNs, a new modem and router, brand new PC as well. Running two M.2’s with one gigabit down, so there is no bottleneck physically on my end.

Was hoping someone found a solution by now because it’s kind of a pain waiting to load ‘larger’ worlds.

fixed for me :slight_smile:

still have the same issue lol at this point its 100% vrc doing it so they need to fix it

this one fix it for me, it was disabled, I changed it to normal and it works faster, thanks man

1 Like

omg thank you for this, it’s helped with download speeds across the board on my PC. Not just VRC.

I can’t believe I found a solution here out of all places.
Another application that I saw having similar issues of download speed was fixed with this.

I’ve also had this issue in VRChat as well, so I’ll keep ya’ll posted next time I boot it up

I live with my partner, we both have index and similar hardware, both on the same network (cat7, really high speed more than 1gbps) - It’s all routed through enterprise hardware and that kind of stuff… - I’m senior RHCE.

My PC will download 900MB vket world under 20 seconds.
My partner’s PC will download the same world over several minutes.

This is clearly not an internet connection problem lol. Seems to me like a random VRChat thing.

The Solution was in our case:

1. Run a command prompt as admin
  2. Execute netsh interface tcp show global
  3. Here you can check the current status of: Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level - this should be normal
  4. If it isn’t, change it with: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
1 Like

Thank you this worked for me!

Do you by any chance recall what the tuning level was set to make download speed slow?

I found a thread here where the person might be served well by having TCP connections slowed down, so they don’t time out while trying to load 30 avatars.

Band-aid not a proper solution, but better than nothing.