Horrible Download Speed

I didn’t have a slider but I set the limit to 900 mbs.

So you’re supposed to set to some very high value (way above your real connection speed), right? Or it should be much lower? I don’t get it.

If you set something like this, make sure you have a note about it. In normal circumstances you would set it to something reasonable. If the computer is having to sit regulate, you’d want to figure out your internet speed, hold some back. For vrchat I’d probably hold back like 3mbps.

In most situations setting a high number is fine, because either your ISP or the servers will avoid downloads stomping your internet connection.

I tried every fix I could find online for this and nothing worked, but I finally found a solution for myself. If anyone has issues with this and none of the above has worked, I was able to resolve this issue by switching to a 5GHz wireless connection. I can not use a wired Ethernet connection in my current living situation, I have to use WiFi. 5GHz resolved the slow download speeds in VR mode for me.

Interesting. In general 5ghz doesn’t travel through walls as well as 2.4ghz, so there will be less interference from other people nearby. I wonder if the download process is not handling packet loss

The Solution was in our case:

1. Run a command prompt as admin
  2. Execute netsh interface tcp show global
  3. Here you can check the current status of: Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level - this should be normal
  4. If it isn’t, change it with: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

This worked for me, when I checked mine was set to ‘disabled’ so I changed it to ‘normal’ and my speeds are many times faster, problem solved.

Thanks Etsuko! I tried your fix and it seems to have worked beautifully. I’ve been able to walk into a crowded world and have all the avatars load quickly for the first time! Although now I will miss all the blue diamond ghosts, oh well. :sweat_smile:

In my case, the problem wasn’t slow speeds per-se, but that the downloads would sometimes take a long time to start, so it does look like some sort of connection issue specific to VRChat, and not a bandwidth issue.

Etsuko’s fix for those in need: