Developer Update - 17 November 2022

That’s fine, you don’t need to. Give it some time and someone will provide an implementation – or alternately, build an implementation yourself!

The examples given in our posts were just proposals of possible implementations, not completed-and-ready-for-use applications. Writing up pose detection in Python using OpenCV and driving tracking via OSC using a webcam will be possible, but you’d have to write that software yourself.

That’s the nature of opening up endpoints like this. “Some Assembly Required” is probably appropriate. :smiley: If you’d like to have a full, low-friction full-body solution, Lighthouse + Tundras is my personal favorite. Of course, in trade for that low level of friction, cost does go up.

SlimeVR is working on an implementation right now that should be available by the time this goes into Open Beta.

One day, but not any time in the near future.

I have no money to buy trackers. And also, I don’t know the first thing about setting up a complicated Python thing to read and transmit the tracking information for a webcam which is why I’m asking for some detailed documentation on how to set it up.

I would encourage you to wait for a community-created solution.

It’s important to understand that what we’re doing here isn’t building a single solution-- we’re opening up a way for anyone to make their own solution, for any hardware. It may take a bit longer for “turnkey” software to exist, but the advantage is that basically anything will work as long as it follows the basic format.

As a side-note, this week’s Dev Update will be skipped due to the Thanksgiving holidays.

2 Likes

I understand but I wonder how many people will actually DO a webcam based program. I say that because people seem to like to only use trackers.

A bunch I’d bet! Actually I think someone in the closed beta threw together a somewhat functional webcam + OpenCV implementation. Last I saw it wasn’t really in a releasable state, but it’s absolutely possible.

OOH! I wonder if that person will:

a. improve it
b. release it publicly with instructions on how to use it when the OSC full body tracking feature releases publicly

On a slightly unrelated note, i was surprised to see there wasn’t even a canny post i could find for it, and a strange lack of mention around:

The fact that there is severe head rotation clamping in half body (and desktop) that is limited far beyond what you can actually do with your camera. One of the mods fixed this, as it was something that users run into annoyance with ingame sometimes (and myself a lot because i tend to look around and move more than average) . . . It’s so severe that you aren’t even able to have your avatar’s head look straight up if you are looking straight up, i run into this issue all the time if someone stands behind me or hugs me from behind and they loom right over me, i can look at them just fine but the avatar’s neck only angles up maybe 60° most. So i don’t look like i’m looking at them even though i am.

It probably gets limited outward vocalization because it’s hard to realize what is happening unless you have a personal mirror on at the right angle or someone happens to clue in you were actually trying to look at them directly. The issue is this results in a social disconnect.

I made a canny for it too:

I don’t really understand the disproportional concern for some things for having “potential social implications” and neglect others that actually do have widespread and measurable social implications, such as the lack of better IK (straight back in double lock would be nice, maybe a way to opt-in for higher ik update rates for friends or by distance even if vrc+), view nearplanes, eye/face tracking, chat boxes that everyone can see easily by default, some kind of calibratable visemes etc.

I know that FBT and finger movement are separate I just think that if VRC was to add external finger tracking support then this update would be the one to do it in

You had me convinced otherwise:

I think we’ll see finger tracking in the future, but not in the next update.

Thanks for the update! I’m not sure this is still being monitored 5 days later - but I was wondering if we have any developments around avatar performance rankings including texture memory yet? Do we have any ballparks that can be shared of what to expect for very poor?

No further development on that at this time.

1 Like

any word on persistent world data ?

Nope, no updates at this time.

hello! i have a question how do i send pc tracking data and send it over to quest?? and also is there is a date when is the osc full body tracking is gonna be out??

3 Likes

Regarding the NYE video submission. I am running into issues getting my bit rate low enough to meet standards. Will not meeting that disqualify my video? Thanks!

4000kbps at 1080p/30fps is quite a lot of room! What issues are you having?

I cant seem to get it down lower than 10000kbs and the only way it seems to want to lower is if i reduce to 720p. I’m still looking into it though. Using Premier Pro btw. Thanks again!

EDIT: I fixed it! Just couldn’t find the settings jeez lol.

Yes, bitrate is something you set, not something you get as a result of other settings. Glad you figured it out!

1 Like

4000 kbs should be enought. twitch recomend use 4500 for streams Twitch Streamers - Twitch Video Encoding/Bitrates/And Stuff