Developer Update - 17 November 2022

Will the OSC-based FBT also support driving finger motions so you could use something like a leap-motion to get something more similar to the new quest finger tracking on PC?

Put me on the record too for wanting world/player persistence :]

very interesting insight thank you for info
i wasn’t aware Quest version of VRC can receive OSC data from anyone

Main post seems clear to me: FBT is different from finger motions

I wonder about specifics about that. For the most part everyone using a quest will be behind a NAT router, so I’d guess that even after you explicitly turn on OSC, it has to be on your local network.

I don’t see why not, but you’d still have to create the application.

Absolutely, its been capable of doing so from the start of OSC integration.

We expect that basically all OSC traffic for VRC is coming from your local network, notably. OSC via the internet is pretty uncommon I think?

Agreed – I realize some people have “clique” fears regarding groups, but the fact of the matter is that people being able to form groups socially has been around for… well, tens of thousands of years. :smiley: We’re well aware it can cause people to separate themselves out and organize themselves into groups, because that’s kind of the point.

This is personal opinion, but I think in cases like this, attempting to completely delete human-created social drama via social system design is unwise. You end up hamstringing your own functionality to solve a problem humans have gotten pretty good at dealing with. But… that sounds like a podcast topic, or something. lol

You can do things to avoid troll vectors, absolutely, but as soon as you start approaching “don’t have the feature to let people interact, because bad things happen when people interact”, I (again, personally) start to lose the thread a bit.

3 Likes

Some segregation isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The internet was in it’s prime when everything was forums and communities for certain groups of like-minded individuals (that were usually not inaccessible by any means). These days everyone is obsessed with fitting in and being part of everything we got these dumpster fires that are facebook, twitter, reddit, 4chan etc. You can never expect every type of person to get along with every other type of person; such expectation is highly unrealistic.

Udon worlds already use username whitelisting or passwords for VIP areas (patreon supporters)… Those don’t cause that much issue.

With groups it’ll be easy to know what group is for what and whether you should try joining or not - do you want to be associated with these people or do you not want to be associated.

Good !

Hey,

Just want to check… this stand-alone capable FBT… is the OSC data driving a skeleton for IK (compatibility with existing avatars), or is an updated project upload required with OSC toggles/animator menus or specialized set up?

Thanks!! Have a great weekend!

I believe there are some considerations for FBT in general (Source: I’ve seen some avatars mention support of FBT in description), but other than that, no other specialized setup:

yay cheap full body era

1 Like

Zero avatar setup required. We’re taking the data that normally SteamVR provides (tracker positions, rotations) and opening up endpoints to allow users to provide their own data.

It’s completely avatar agnostic. Once the OSC-provided data hits the IK system, it acts basically the same as SteamVR trackers.

What would we need to get the OSC full body trackers to work? Do we just need a webcam? Or do we have to buy expensive trackers?

I already have TWO Raspberry Pis to handle tracking. And will there be a tutorial to set up the OSC tracking as well?

Is the new version of the Creator Companion going to be released before the end of the year? If you need more time, then it would be better for everyone to push back the deprecation date. Right now so many things are piling up on new years, and I don’t want to recommend the VCC to people in its current state.

Again, we are not providing any specific hardware support, we are only providing end points for OSC data to be pushed into VRChat. This data can be used to position the trackers in space.

Natively, without any external programs, this doesn’t do anything! In order to support whatever hardware you have, you have to have some external program that handles the tracking and the sending of data.

Either works! You just need to find or create software that takes the tracking data and sends it over OSC to VRChat.

We will have documentation outlining the inpoints that you can feed OSC data into, as well as best practices and how to use OSC tracking in general.

We will not have any guides for any specific hardware, no.

Unsure! Either way, the update being out or not will not determine if we continue with our plans.

If you have any specific bugs or issues that are showstoppers for you, please make sure that you submit them to the appropriate place: Bugs and Feature Requests | VRChat Creator Companion

I’m most excited for the release of Groups, to know that’s a priority right now gives me hope we will be seeing a beta for this soon!!

Well that sucks because I don’t know how to set up OSC for a webcam on a Raspberry Pi.

Having the default behavior be copy rather than convert in place is very much intended and not likely to change. You should only do that if you are using source control like github or plastic and have the ability to revert, and the instructions during migration are pretty clear on that.

Kinda curious to ask this, can one day maybe we have a different loading screen? This current one is just dull and boring, No offense to the team but it looks like a generic particle floating with a blue template from Unity.

Some people with bad internet and so forth could appreciate looking at something prettier (?)

1 Like

I don’t understand what sucks. VRChat builds thier part, and only thier part, and other people will build the other half. The people (VRChat community) making the other half are in a better position to provide tutorials. The community will piece things together.

1 Like