Group Public Instances (what can i do against them?)

so ive been working on a world for abit & i absolutely do not want group public instances to exist within my world due to people just being malicious with them eg. instant kicking for no reason, asking for personal information that some people may not want to give, forcing players to join &/ or friend the group maker, etc etc

my current idea is just having some people i trust to moderate my world by going into group public instances & shutting them down as this should already be something a world developer controls but for some reason dont

im unsure if i am allowed to do this but i think i am because its not banning anyone its more of just trying to nudge players into to not doing something i just dont want happening in my world(s)

There is no way to prevent users from creating and moderating group instances to their liking afaik. I also dont think there should be. Groups exist so that the users can control the instance the way they want.

If a group is being malicious, then users will eventually stop joining that group. If you want to discourage other groups from hosting in your world, or encourage users to only join your group instance, or non group instances, you could put a popup message informing them so at spawn. Thats what came to mind when I read it.

Something discouraging any group instance moderation outside of your official group, or just something like “Join our group instances for moderated lobbies” with a group join button or something.

Personally, if I was hosting a group instance in a world and the world owner came in and shut it down for no reason other than they dont want people managing their own instance, I’d never go back to any of their worlds and I’d spread the word about them lol.

1 Like

Booo

1 Like

something I just though after the fact, if you really only want instances of your world to be moderated by your group, just make the world private then host group public instances. If this isn’t possible, this should be.

I really strongly oppose preventing users from managing their own group instance in your worlds. This would prevent groups from abusing mod power, but it would also make it much more difficult for users to enjoy your world when the visitor trolls join, as most of the time vote kicks don’t seem to do anything unless everyone is in the same spot seeing whats happening.

1 Like

“it would also make it much more difficult for users to enjoy your world when the visitor trolls join” the same thing can be said about the group public host, but the only difference is that the VTK system cannot remove them, and they have a bit too much power over the instance.
(it would also be alot more difficult if a user joins the world then gets instantly kicked for no reason.)

“I really strongly oppose preventing users from managing their own group instance” Make a private group instance instead. It’s only the public group instances that I don’t want. I would much rather have groups that I trust host servers instead of randoms.

“as most of the time vote kicks don’t seem to do anything unless everyone is in the same spot” Try saying something, and if that doesn’t work, then that’s just how that instance is. It shouldn’t just be one person’s choice to remove players; it should be more of a “group” choice.

Allowing things like: instant kicking for no reason, asking for personal information that some people don’t want to give, forcing players to join their group &/or Discord, or forcing players to friend them just to play/join my world is something that I am uncomfortable with and is just awful behavior in general.

didnt see the first post you’d made so ima respond to it aswell :ok_hand:

“If a group is being malicious, then users will eventually stop joining that group.” thats not quite how it works, people arnt just a hive mind and will see a instance being malicious and just know not to join it. (if a world is popular noone going to really pay much attention to the group names and will join instances being malicious and have their time wasted.)

“Something discouraging any group instance moderation” I’ve put some slight thought into this and will maybe consider it. As an alternative, I could just say when someone joins not to be malicious with group public instances, or the instance would get shut down, as users could report that instance to a Discord server dedicated to removing bad instances.

“Personally, if I was hosting a group instance in a world and the world owner came in and shut it down for no reason other than they dont want people managing their own instance, I’d never go back to any of their worlds and I’d spread the word about them lol.” It wouldn’t really be for no reason, as it would clearly state before letting you into the other parts of the world that I don’t want group public instances to exist. If you don’t want to join that creator’s world(s) because of their own choice over the world that they made, then that’s on you, as most people probably wouldn’t mind that.
(“I’d spread the word about them lol.” i myself wouldn’t really mind as its more of just your own opinion just as i have my opinion about the whole group public instances being primarily used in a malicious way.)