Developer Update - 8 September 2022

Please work now on the chatbox, it needs a lot of improvements!

Could be nice to have for sure, but I feel like it needs restrictions like having to be Good/Excellent rating and have a PC and Quest version.

At the minimal though it should be an opt in toggle when uploading an avatar.

• Mic unmuted state should have an option to make it invisible when not talking, and also adjust the mute/unmute icons separately. Ideal for most people would be having the mute state be very visible, have the unmute state invisible when not talking and faintly visible when talking (so you know if it’s picking you up, but not distracting).
    Canny

…Currently people are getting confused by their mic state because they turn down opacity to make the white icon not glaring, but then in many worlds the mute icon is almost completely invisible too. There is also issue of the mic open/mute state being erratic when changing worlds, it seems to sometimes keep the state it was in last world, and sometimes default to whatever you set it to in options (Canny).

Additional improvements:

• The mic should be able to be toggled by pressing the trigger on the hand that has the quick menu open. This would be best for easy mute toggling without needing 2 hands and without needing to waste a button on your controller for it.
    Canny

• The menu needs a basic recolour option for all users (not just vrc+), a slider for hue and brightness for both the background and “accent/highlight” colours. Accent being icons, text and outlines. This should also apply to nameplates. This simple addition would vastly improve ui visibility without damaging user experience outside of ui.
    Canny

• Ability to drop portals from invites (especially when self-inviting places from the website or vrcx)
    Canny

They probably have reasons for avoiding this? I can see some world creators complaining that people are using it to access their unlisted private worlds that they were in earlier (world creators know when their world has been visited). I very very much want world instance history for ease of rejoining, though that said, i used it responsibly, not everyone will.

2 Likes

please add support to see how the VRAM usage is calculated!
im using the Thryrallo VRAM calculator to test my avatars and trying to aim around 100mb VRAM for my avatars for small groups.
but the Calcutation between Unity with the addon and VRChat is sometimes complett different.
in Unity is says 115mb and in VRChat its says 460mb ???
how can i aim for something i cant even see?
i have even a Quest avatar that says its over 857mb VRAM but its only 9,6mb big???

1 Like

Everything is compressed very efficiently when packed into a vrca for upload. You need to look at the uncompressed size. 30-40MB target is a bit ridiculous, considering a single 4K texture (regardless of if it’s DXT5 compressed, BC7, or DXT5 crunched) is like 50MB once decompressed.

PS: unity has it’s own memory profiler, which lets you narrow down per draw etc. this will give the most accurate information.

Quest 2. Try New menu. easy. Fixer world all PC. Cross quest 2 and PC more

I would feel like we should add the avatar sound for quest just like pc players can hear the sound from previous avatars that were made with sound but I know it’s a hassle for creators to go back to all the models and fix the sound. So how about avatar sound compatible for quest and pc and if it used to be pc. Now quest can hear it. Also a avatar search is nice but also not good because of people might rip off A private avatar from creators who made it for them . But Ik that’s also another problem people might take a avatar that cost money. So maybe minimize the avatar searcher. But the new main Menu but I would miss the old one though

Is there any plans to allow turning chairs off?

@tupper is there any plans to add the VR streaming camera to desktop? It would be great if we could also have the recording camera so we can use the unique features it has

EVERYONE GO TO OPEN BETA!

This new stuff is the best!

I doubt it is being worked on right now, the main problems with it isn’t actually coding it probably, there’s lots of things to think about with avatar search.

Live Beta currently has a bug that lets you force clone, people complain about that, well, avatar search for all public avatars would be even worse than that, unless they make it so creators have to select that they want their avatar to be searchable on upload.

That’s just one idea on a solution, I’m sure they’ve thought of a bunch.

This breaks game worlds that use stations (seats).
Vertex Battle Royale uses them for the plane, and probably for death animations.
Laserdome uses them for color changing and emission strength on supported avatars.

It’s hard enough to get people into a game already, disabling chair would just frustrate people who don’t know they need seats for a game. :confused:

1 Like

@tupper The patch notes is missing about desktop camera UI improvements completely.

A Suggestion, Adding the option of Sort By: Date Added in the New avatars menu will be a good idea ^^

7 Likes

This has been bothering me SO much. +1

2 Likes

I’ve given it a try and it looks good, there is an issue that when the new menu opens it’s quite far away (I assume because it’s wider this was needed to make sure the whole thing is in view). For me this is a bit of a problem because this, combined with thee smaller text on the new menu, means that it’s extremely hard to read because of my visual impairment. Normally I’d just move closer or grab the menu and pull it closer but that doesn’t work well at the moment. I’ll drop some more detailed feedback into the canny but I hope this is something that can be addressed at some point.

Just please don’t let people grab avatars from other worlds in a menu. orz

thank you for fixing the menu bug. and i wanna know if its possible to see who is in the same instance as me. cuz i cant see everyone in the map im in and i wanted to take a look into the social list of the instance but its kinda gone, or is it just me?

ok i was stupid, i just found it :X

Omg! Yes! Portal placement! Been wanting that for forever. Thank you!

I’m also very excited for the ability to organize my avatar favorites. It’s kind of scary switching to avatars, unfaving and refaving them to organize. So easy to accidentally switch before refaving and lose the avatar. And without Avatar Search, for the moment, it could be utterly lost. :scream: Since we got all those new folders and space, I’ve been wanting to reorganize~

I got to see the chat box in action with one of my mute friends and something I noticed was that the chat box doesn’t show up in mirrors. So I had to learn to notice when her hand was moving around “typing” and then physically look her way. It took a moment for us to realize we were missing what she was saying.

Could there be a way to show the chat text in a world mirror, or toggle to allow it?