Hello and welcome to the Developer Update for September 15, 2022!
Since the last Dev Update, we’ve pushed another update to VRChat 2022.3.1, which is the current Live Beta.
This update mostly addressed various bugs. Specifically:
- Fixed button on the Controls page that’s meant to open your logs folder
- Fixed an issue where the Allow Cloning toggle wasn’t being respected in some of the new UI
- Fixed the initial display of color correction slider percentages
- Updated the Worlds banner to not have a hover effect
- Disabled the “Current Instance” button on the World tab and adjusted UI elements to get more categories above the fold
- The “Current Instance” page can still be accessed via the Profile menu, Profile wing, or Here QM menu
- Fixed an issue on Quest where performance blocking was not working as designed
2022.3.1 is one of the largest (if not THE largest) releases we’ve done in quite a while – and so we expect we’ll be continuing to squash bugs and polish features for the next week or two. We’re making progress by the day.
Importantly, thank you to all of the Live Beta testers who have provided feedback! We’re working through the feedback and bug reports as quickly as we can. There’s a lot!
Expect a Live Beta update soon, perhaps on Friday (16 September).
A huge amount of work we’ve been doing recently has been focused on the Main Menu. So, that’s mostly what today’s Dev Update is about!
There was a server bug where people were getting stuck in a loop loading a “58.00B” world. We fixed that!
It also sometimes caused avatars to load as errors. If you saw this recently, it should be fixed now.
A lot of the work we’re doing right now is fixing bugs with the Main Menu Live Beta. We do have some improvements on the way, too! Let’s cover some of them. You may see a Live Beta update from us soon!
We updated the Microphone Settings in the main menu to replicate the Quick menu! That means you can access the microphone sensitivity as well as the noise cancellation option in the MM, too.
Some creators have pointed out that the new Worlds menu has some issues with discovery of worlds. We agree! Popping users directly into Trending has side-effects we aren’t totally OK with.
Right now, we’re exploring some concepts to help this out! One concept is a “Launchpad” or other type of landing page for worlds, where users start out.
Whatever pathway we take to improve world discovery, it likely will make it into VRChat in the update after the first Main Menu release.
We removed this button to make room for more categories, but really underestimated how much we used it! We noticed pretty quick dogfooding the Live Beta over the weekend, and also got a lot of feedback that the button was missed.
We did some re-arranging and the “Current World” button is coming back without too much lost space.
Let’s just rapid-fire these. These are the bugs we’ve fixed-- there’s a bunch more in development and in QA.
- an issue with the mic icon transparency being initalized incorrectly
- not able to rejoin the current world through the main menu
- the menu getting scrambled if you click around a lot
- the Avatar menu wing not retain settings
- certain characters not appearing in UI, nameplates, etc
- clicking on buttons playing sound on KeyDown, but taking action on KeyUp
- “Open Logs” button not opening the log folder
- Swapping between User and World search is difficult. Fixed by adding a selector to the keyboard when searching
- Social menu Friend Locations: Update location header text to show instance type instead of number of people in instance
- Background images memory and disk usage needed improvement and optimization
- Fixed Sorted By dropdown on friend location social page so it doesn’t appear interactable
- Put VRAM estimation metric into Quick Menu
- Gesture toggle reverted from a notification back into an icon
Some more we’re definitely aware of and are working on:
- Audio % values change suddenly and apparently randomly. If you can come up with a REPRODUCABLE case of this (as in, you can make it happen on purpose and can provide steps), please let us know!
- Merge Account token is missing from the new UI
- Background “highlight” moves around when pointing at world UI or personal mirror
- Many settings from the “Gear” tab in the Quick Menu should move to the Main Menu
- Search only loads two pages of results in some modes
- Clicking and dragging across MM tabs breaks tabs
- Decling a friend request notification doesn’t sync with the user details page
- General MM performance improvements
- Lots, lots, lotslotslots more
We’ve continued work on some more Chatbox improvements! These aren’t scheduled for any particular update, but we hope to get these features and improvements in soon.
- Fixed Chatbox distance check to match max voice distance per player
- Dynamically adjust chatbox width to fit text
- Improvements to chatbox appearance in mirrors
- Implemented a chatbox sound effect when someone sends a message, and settings to adjust the sound effect
/chatbox/inputendpoint updated to include additional
MessageComplete, which is used to trigger the message sound
- Added a custom input binding for VR to open the keyboard for chatbox input
- Added a Desktop keybinding for opening chatbox input. Currently
Y, but we might update/change before release
- Adjusted nameplate and chatbox scaling behavior to prevent avatar clipping
- Improved usage with updated keyboard for input
- Added new chatbox position options (we’ll talk more about this later!)
This section was added after the initial post.
Since we introduced Secure Instances, some of you might be familiar with this error:
It’s a pretty annoying one, mostly because you have no idea why you can’t travel.
We’re going to add more descriptive error messages that, at the very least, should help you diagnose the problem and help you join your friends more reliably.
That’s all for this week! We’ve been VERY busy crunching on Main Menu bugs, mostly. Those don’t typically have flashy GIFs or videos we can show off, so apologies for having a Dev Update full of lists!
In repayment, we’ll try our best to update the Live Beta for you tomorrow. No promises, cross your fingers that it passes QA!
Thank you as always, and talk to you again next week.