Developer Update - 3 August 2022

Really fond of these ideas here! Content creators would rejoice just at the idea of being able to animate the camera as it’d enable you to do so much more with your recordings.

I’m sure a large amount of players would benefit from the other camera functions greybell has suggested adding too though. VRChat Twitters content for example is packed with people taking nice photos of their avatars or with their friends and I know they’d appreciate some of these changes to the camera (though I think you can already hide the camera UI). Not to mention streamers, world photographers and people creating other forms of media via VRChat as well!

There’s one more avatar related feature I’d also like to suggest, again it’s mostly for content creators but…
The ability to freeze a clone of your avatar in place/record your movement then create a clone that plays it back like an animation would be phenomenal.

However I realise this kind of feature is quite niche and would likely only see real use by content creators (though I imagine a lot of players would definitely enjoy messing around with it, especially if you could enable a feature to see each others clones :sweat_smile: ) but I figured I’d throw it out there as this feature combined with the camera changes would REALLY open up filming/photography capabilities in VRChat!

Also first ever post so sorry if I’ve formatted this poorly or anything, lol. I’ve been reading along with these dev updates somewhat and wanted to add my 2 cents (also apologies if my suggestion has already been made and I missed it)

4 Likes

Hide Avatars by Distance - from the video I don’t think this is proper testing, some avatars are 100MB and cause lag spikes when they’re loaded in. There should be some built in deadzone where avatars are hidden at a further distance and loaded at a closer distance to reduce the frequency of loading / unloading…

Waiting for FSR since this fixes a lot for high-res headsets (varjo aero)… mirrors have apparent better quality when upscaled with FSR.

I have made a canny post with some feedback. I think adding avatar viewpoint scaling would be a good addition to the game. https://feedback.vrchat.com/feature-requests/p/feedback-regarding-concerns-over-viewpoint-scaling

1 Like

Is there going to be a way to adjust the View point in game on the fly?
That would be really nice when testing public avatars with messed up view points.

Especially since this also affects mainly FBT users, if the view point is too far forward your Avatar will bend its legs when you look down, which does not look good and can be a hassle to fix of a mix by bending your legs slightly IRL at the right height to prevent this.

(This can easily be fixed in Unity by aligning the Viewpoint sphere with the Avatar Spine and hip bone with a small shift forward. Kinda wish there would be an easier way to do that.)

Keep it up! You are all doing amazing <3

1 Like

I’m glad to see stuff on a pseudo roadmap we would’ve never got. Some people in VRChat went too far recently. I’m just happy we have an open beta full of features and certain issues are mostly solved now.

Can we move cannies to here? It actually updates my PFP

1 Like

well i want to be able to scale my avatars bigger or smaller how ever i want, and some of my friends dont have a vr so if they could scale the avatars then they dont need to upload the same avatars 5 times in 5 different sizes. its kinda fun to be small sometimes and when i wanna cuddle with my friends i wanna be able to adjust my avatar size properly so that i can cuddle with them in the avatar i like using at that moment.

2 Likes

Steam workshop would be an awesome idea

[ Avatar Search ]
Where you can search for avatars by there “Avatar Name” cuz it helps a lot

ofc you can only search public avatars sense privat avatars can not be shown sense “privat”

1 Like

Keep up the good work! And keep communicating!

1 Like

First, I’m still very upset about your horrendous rollout of the EAC update, and of not only banning all mods but eve sending threatening cease and desist letters to pillars of the modding community like the EMMVRC team. These are fans who love your platform and working to make it even better for no profit – and even driving up your own subscriptions by requiring VRC+ subscriptions to unlock key features of their mods. Killing the work they did was bad enough, but threatening legal action against them after the fact is disgusting. Shame on you.

My wife, myself, and another 10-12 people in our immediate friend group have all cancelled our VRC+ subscriptions both in protest of your conduct and in belief that the benefits it provides aren’t worth it without the functionality added by the mods – especially avatar searching. What point is there in extra avatar slots if I can’t find any avatars I like?

Specific to your announced update plans: I’m glad to see you prioritizing the critical accessibility and some of the easier QOL mods that until now modders have had to provide to make your platform functional and comfortable for disabled, atypical, or easily overwhelmed players. There’s a LOT more to do, but it’s a good start at making things functional at a minimum level for them.

Moving forward, the one question on everybody’s lips is the obvious one: when will we get avatar searching? While the features you’re working on now are definitely more critical, the ability to search avatars is desperately needed to make the experience better and more user friendly.

The most general reason why avatar searching features are needed from an experience standpoint is this: if I want to look for an avatar now that you’ve killed the functional search features from mods, I have to stop spending with my friends to do so. Searching for an avatar right now is an isolating, individual experience because rather than being able to browse through avatars while gathered around with my friends and talking, I have to leave the group and go do it on my own. In a social platform like this, that’s counterintuitive. It’s also just boring. My wife and I play this, and I am much into looking for avatars than she is. I don’t want to have to drag myself away from her and my friends to look for cool new avatars. I’d rather just not get new avatars, but that takes away a huge part of the fun for me too. I LOVE discovering awesome new avatars to use!

As for actually FINDING the avatars you like, “avatar worlds” just don’t work. They don’t. Not if you’re looking for anything specific, anyway. I have particular tastes for avatars. I love puppet style ones, and little drones and cute hovering robots and such – and even among them I’m really picky about what I like. When I had a search feature, even a clumsy modded one, I could find ones I liked with enough digging and trying different terms and such. Now? I just can’t. Avatar worlds feel like trying to find a needle in a thousand random haystacks. Instead of looking for a cool new avatar being fun, it’s extremely frustrating! I load a world, which may have only two or three avatars in it or may have dozens of random ones completely unrelated to what I actually want to find, look around, and try another world. Over and over and over. And eventually, I give up, because I want to spend time with my friends in VR chat – not aimlessly wander through a bunch of abandoned avatar piles.

Without search, the entire game experience is just not as good. By a lot. Until we get search back, I see no point to a VRC+ subscription. Neither does my wife. Neither do my friends.

So, please, tell us when we can expect an avatar search feature. It’s better for us, it’s better for creators, and it’s better for your revenue. Even if it’s going to be a while, give us a roadmap. What features do you need to complete before prioritizing avatar searching, and approximately how long do you expect those features to take to develop to a degree where you’re willing to start moving resources towards working on the search feature?

Are we looking at weeks? Months? Within the next year? Do you even have any intention of a search feature, or are you deliberately avoiding mentioning it because you have other plans to monetize an avatar marketplace that excludes free avatars – putting profit before players?

2 Likes

None of them.

1 Like

So, this isn’t going to be a comprehensive reply, by any means, but I keep seeing it a lot, so I want to make sure it’s at least acknowledged.

So! Avatar search.

Avatar search is something that we want to do, but it’s going to require a lot of design. It impacts almost every aspect of VRChat in some way. It’s also a massive change for creators, and fundamentally changes how avatar are distributed.

So… yeah. We’re looking at it, but we’re looking carefully at it. If we start to make progress on a feature like this, there’s a good chance we’ll discuss it at great length in these updates to gauge what the community thinks.

6 Likes

Cool cool, but i see you guys missed Avatar search as an option on that list there, you might wanna fix that and get that patched up as soon as possible. :wink::+1:

1 Like

real news

Are you guys going to add Avatar limb grabbers? That was my favorite part about mods, being able to hold my bfs hand…

2 Likes

1 Like

I am happy to see communication between the DEVS and Community once again, Keep up the good work,

Setting VRC Priority will have little effect on High end PC’s but when you have a 1650 GTX every frame counts and this is why changing Priority is important.

We also need some kind of Down scaler Up Scaler system. This will give more FPS to lower end PC’s.
The link bellow is a Youtube video that will give better insight to this Tool. I hope it can be helpful.

1 Like

Agreed, don’t make it be used in the menu like you always do. Stop listening to people tell you to let the modders do and fix your stuff. Be creative with it. Don’t make exactly your own design. Who cares if you stole if from the source code just make it assesible.

It’s best to be more specific on the things to fix for them to be able to actually do so :sweat_smile: