Developer Update - 3 August 2022

I agree with reversing this change. I think it works just fine the way it is now. Being able to grab it and rotate it efficiently seems better than having to keep going into the menu to adjust it each time.

I was going to edit my message but I guess you aren’t allowed to.

Edit: What am I even saying, this already exists.

I forgot to add this as well:

This doesn’t include the benefits it can have in terms of:

• The avatar author getting more exposure on the platform.
  • Avatar creators not needing to maintain a world every time they upload a new avatar.
  • Users not needing to world hop especially with their friends to find new avatars.

This is even supported by the fact that content creators can already manage worlds and avatars through the website. So these options can be configured there, and it even can facilitate features in the future.

For example, avatar creators could charge for their creations with a small cut from VRC on a marketplace through this avatar search. Especially if it provides a way for people to purchase an additional license to download the base and use it, referencing the original avatar creator on their own in some way (probably by some identifier embedded into the base or something).

The possibilities are endless when you enable searching and content management via some interface. We can already see that with worlds.

1 Like

In regards to the avatar scaling. I think the points tupper has made before dont make much sense. Like others have said youre not stopping that by not implememting it. People can still do that by uploading large avatars in general.
But it would be a large benefit for the people who like playing with size groups.
The near clip plane is great for tiny avatars. So why be against allowing people more freedom with their avatars to change their size dynamicly with animations.

1 Like

Yeah. Just gotta make sure that avatars made prior to such an introduction are by default not searchable. Like, they’re marked with a ‘0’, until they’re updated to 1 or 2 for searchable/not. I did make a fairly elaborate Canny that included this.

It would still be nice to have solutions such as cache encryption first. But you are correct that it’s an issue that is already far wider spread than the feature would have much effect on.

I suppose this is true. Like with the above, it would be nice to have a solution sooner than later to make up for the loss of mod. I suppose really when I say ‘before this feature’ I also mean it to say that these solutions are considerably more important while also being relevant.

Oh trust me, I’m definitely not against it. I have a big ol’ Canny for it after all. I’ve simply witnessed many fairly valid concerns that I’d like to make sure people are at least aware of.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be that hard to allow world creators to turn off the ability to noclip, mods were literally already doing exactly that.

1 Like

Remember kids, if you don’t leave positive feedback they silence you :slight_smile:

I want this also for Camera!

4 Likes

Hopefully y’all keep the upper limits uncapped when sizing up the mirror like it is now. It’s been handy especially when you have a large group of friends together~

3 Likes

Really like the solution for " Viewpoint Near-Clip", dynamic option is safe yet properly adapts camera to world if creator forgot about camera, and forced solves clipping in case in a moment you don’t care about far objects.
For camera - hopefully resolution slider/changer will be in a quick menu in a Camera Tab? it’s half empty anyway, and nobody would want to go to big menu to just change resolution >_>
And very nice on Speech Bubble part “consulted with some community”, would absolutely love more of that since it shows how much you guys try to be connected with a community!

2 Likes

Is there any way Avatar Search will become available? Since the update ive run into an issue of… new public avatars on my account are basically useless unless I have a world. Before you could make avatar content without having to make an avatar world to go along with it… and people would be able to search up for your avatars and find new ones… but now unless it is cloned directly off of me and spread that way, until I make a work people have no way to access my content. Im just not everyone would want they public content to be searched but you could make a search database… and have an option on upload like you do with “public/private” where you can choose if your avatar is searchable :c I dont like that in order to make avatar content for people I am now forced to also make a world.

1 Like

How many of these new features (originally for free with mods) that you’re adding to the game, are going to be paywalled behind a VRC Plus subscription?

Great work so far on keeping the community up to date and adding these features in as well. Still a bit confused that Avatar Search has not been brought up yet though, maybe sometime down the road. I know it’s not a required feature of course but it is by far the most used and missed feature and being the soul purpose for many people going “not-vanilla” in the first place. Every conversation i’ve had for the past week about features they missed after the update with friends and many people in publics, Avatar Search is always the first answer and is also a feature that the other games already have. I would just like to hear if the team is working on that or something similar to that down the road. Thank you

I think I speak for many when I say that the worlds of avatars method becomes somewhat tedious and vastly annoying on any platform since although there are worlds and avatars infinitely and avatars that are totally public and cannot be achieved because they do not have world of the same and people like me and surely new people want a search method taking advantage of the vrchat api I will not be a programmer but I am one more user giving an opinion but I have the support of many when saying that a search button is already necessary Avatars may be limited to a specific number such as 20,000 by search for example, we do not also take advantage of their categories and also be able to search by author for those who are lucky enough to have an avatar without a world or an author without worlds

this is no longer necessary but a system like jetpac or multiple jumps would be quite comfortable to reach places that by udon systems and without any update track from the creator because those places are tireless

As well, it would be superfluous to say that a tracking/tracking system of the face in the avatar, such as vcface or similar vtubers programs for vrchat, would be perfect to have a little more interaction with quest or pc quest users being desktop
or at least to not feel so limited :smiling_face_with_tear:

even though I appreciate the implementation of the camera for desktop too much :sweat_smile:

Hi @tupper
First I wanted to say thanks to the VRC team, for finally focusing on the community more by implementing requested features and going into dialogue.

Then I wanted to suggest a few things regarding the new features:

Local Mirror
Would be nice to have quick and direct access to it, without going multiple pages through action menu. For example on the 1st page of VRC hand menu or some kind of Quick Menu (see below).
Just imagine a performer, who needs the action menu for avatar toggles and has now to switch between the options / mirror menu and the avatar expressions menu back and forth ! Like - I already grew tired of it and its just in Beta. Please hear us out on this :slight_smile:

Quick Menu
You probably know it from the UIExpansionKit - a customizable extension below the first page of the VRC hand menu. It just needs a small “edit” button there - to select buttons / toggles from a list. Very, very helpful for people who need to quickly toggle certain things (mirror, avatar hider, speech bubble, …)

You had concerns regarding polite chat behavior. So what about defining upper and lower scaling boundaries for players, managed by the safety system and connected to their rank. Also it should be really easy to implement (there is a mod) and it will save a lot of resources on content server (dozens of avatar versions in different sizes).
Also as a content creator - it is really annoying to maintain like 3 different versions of the same avatar, just to have different sizes. So please, hear us out.#

Would be nice to get a short response.
Greetings, Rei

The near/farclipping stuff made me wonder, what’s the how many bits is the Quest’s z-buffer?
I’ve noticed it has a higher near clip and still gets way more imprecision at a distance compared to PC.

I assume PC is 24-bit and Quest is 16-bit?

Those scaling issues could be worked around easily. For example, instead of having a slider you could rapidly make go up & down you could do it through buttons, kinda like how the mirror resize works in the current live beta. A delay could be added kinda like how emojis also have a delay.

Avatar scaling was my favorite modded feature, instead of having to upload 10 different avatars at different scales you could just add 1 float paramater and a radial and you’re ready to go. It really sucks being constantly either to tall or too short to be able to speak to someone face-to-face, especially when you don’t have fullbody and can’t just clip into the ground with half your avatar with OVR advanced settings playspace mover.

World creators could maybe set a size limit, which is a feature that should be added anyways because currently in some games you can easily cheat by using a very small or very large avatar

It’s kinda possible to do scaling using gogoloco, it looks really weird first-person because it can’t scale your viewpoint, only move it.

There really wasn’t any abuse of scaling as far as I know when mods were a thing, though I get there’s a difference to having a feature be avalible to avatar creators and the quest kids, but this could be worked around with ideas like mentioned above. Avatar scaling should absolutely be a thing IMO

Nice. Keept it up and make VRChat good with all of this “new” features please.

I wonder if this’ll work similar to the whisper bubbles from NeosVR where conversations outside the bubble were dampened to those inside, and conversations inside were dampened to those outside. I’d imagine though it’ll only be one way.

Can you add more privacy so i don’t have to install an epic games software with admin privileges and kernal access to play the game… certainly do not trust epic games with that stuff tq