Developer Update - 26 August 2022

First off, thanks Tupper for responding to my comment about video codecs last blog. Just so you know, iOS 14+ supports VP9, it’s just VP8 that is the issue. (My mention of AV1 was an example; I didn’t mean to insinuate you use it!)

Second, I noticed that you mentioned nVidia-related Fixed Foveated Rendering, and was wondering has the team looked into offering the ability to configure Oculus’ native FFR on Quest? Alongside requesting Boost performance mode on both the GPU & CPU, this could have benefits for, at the very least, second generation Quest users.

I posted a canny with more details if you’d like to look.

In limited testing using ADB commands to force Boost performance, high FFR, & 90hz, I saw performance improvements over VRChat after a fresh boot. This was a few months back however but I intend to do similar testing again in the near future.

Please prevent the camera drone from going through walls, or let Udon prevent such actions as it could be used to cheat in game worlds that relate to stealth mechanics and hiding information.

4 Likes

One day. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Does the Personal Mirror work for you? It’s in VRChat right now, in your Action Menu. The Live Beta has an updated version with a face-cam in your HUD.

A few months ago we made it so VRChat only runs as fast as your monitor’s refresh rate. Perhaps that’s it?

If you still have issues, please contact our Support team.

Bleugh, VP9 takes sooooo long to transcoooooooode. :sob::sob::sob: I’ll probably just stick with h264 and also probably start using external storage to get past the size limit if necessary.

I think we’re using all of this right now, unsure.

2 Likes

Perhaps a command-line launch option would be best, e.g. --use-fsr ?

3 Likes

What I’m saying is that I can’t get an easy 360 view of my avatar, due to the mirror only being useful if i look at it. The camera is the current best bet, due to the ability to pin it to the world/local.

To be clear and restate the OP, the native implementation of AMD FSR does not work for us as AMD defines and documents it, and the hacky OpenVR method literally breaks worlds.

3 Likes

Do you think we may get invitation or join request cooldowns in the future? It may help with all of the spammed invites some users get -w-

2 Likes

I’ve added a short video to the OP showing the camera effect, because some people were worried the flash was a camera flash.

That sounds like a pretty good suggestion. We’ve talked about social controls of various kinds before, including things like your suggestion, as well as the ability to control who can send you friend requests and etc. Kinda like Discord.

Not on roadmap, but eventually! Please write up your feature request and post it to our Feature Requests board!

1 Like

When the camera is set to “world mode” and it snaps to back to camera when changing world. Can that be an option? Not a permanent fix? Or bring back the old version as new option like “cross world lock”? Because I do abuse this features a lot currantly when filming of “alt world” sences or different version.

Example: both worlds are the same but different times of day and/or environment change. But the camera is still lock in same coordinates to capture character progression or time passing

14 Likes

I hope TCL was the one to write the FSR/VRS section

Also, it would be nice to have some of the other devs write about what they’ve been working on and share it in the Dev Updates. I’m sure they have a lot of interesting and buffering amount of information to keep these updates feeling full and fresh

3 Likes

I’m very happy to see VRS FFR being added. You mention a possible UI implementation for it, to avoid manually editing the config, but perhaps a handful of presets (and a “custom” option) would be sufficient?

2 Likes

I was mainly responding to DillyWolf, who was suggesting it as a “power user” feature for those who absolutely do not care if it breaks worlds:

Maybe implement it anyways for people on a beta or an option but put something that says to the user that turning it on may introduce artifacts or other things

Well. I have egg on my face. :sweat_smile: It’d been a few months since I tested and sure enough, at least in the Open Beta, the CPU level was a full 4 (Boost), with the GPU level trailing at 3 (High) and FFV at 3 (High). — Note to self: Don’t be lazy when filing feedback you can test.

I’m glad y’all actually chose to implement those. I feel silly for not verifying that it was still running at lower levels. Feel free to mark that canny as closed then.

It still runs at a cap of 72Hz though. As opposed to the Quest 2’s native 90Hz. I imagine the Quest devs already tested at least 90Hz, but thought I’d say it since I can now confirm that still hasn’t be implemented.

After 4700 hours, you’ve lost me. Not implementing AMD FSR is the final straw for me, can’t play without that. Thanks for nothing.

2 Likes

This is not true and you know it.

2 Likes

Are there any plans to add cas(contrast adaptive sharpening) to vrchat? or any other sharpening ?

3 Likes

A hack added on after the fact and official implementation are two things. The way they, the developers, have to implement FSR, in a way which works with the client and EAC, would break some worlds.

I’ve spoken to other Unity devs who tried and said the same thing. There is a reason the official Unity support for FSR requires the URP or HDRP, which VRChat cannot easily support. VRChat having an entire catalog of BIRP content means that, for the here and now, it cannot be easily supported.

The way people added it on after the fact may have worked in some cases, but it couldn’t be relied on, and did so in a way which modified the client on launch.

It has been suggested to me there are ways to apply FSR to SteamVR itself, outside of VRChat. I cannot confirm if this is true, but if you play VR, this may prove an avenue worth researching.

In simple terms: The version of Unity VRChat has to use for various reasons does not easily support FSR in a way VRChat can reliably release without problems. It only worked as a hack; a mod; a quick fix, and nothing more.

6 Likes

The solution would be to just allow the use of the particular mod and let the potential artefacting detriments be at the user’s discretion.

We definitely need more overall communication so it’s more clear what the whole community wants, instead of just the ones within the normal limited visual range of the team.

I don’t think it’s necessary to thin them out really though. Keeping everyone up to speed, or even better setting up a tracker thing (forget the name of it), as has been mentioned before, that shows all of the active features being considered or worked on, in one clean and concise place - the canny is a mess and difficult to navigate.

4 Likes

Since FSR and DLSS won’t work out I hope that at least FFR will, anything that helps my GPU frametimes would be great, my CPU always sits at 3ms whilst GPU is crying at 10-15 in the majority of worlds with a few people.

2 Likes

I used an OpenVR DLL and I use a Quest 2 with link cable. So I am confused by this statement. I really think anything that can Down scale and up scale would be fine but perhaps the Devs know something I do not as I found not problems with the OpenVR DLL.

1 Like