Welcome to the Developer Update for 22 November 2023!
If you’d like to catch up, you can read our previous Developer Update from 9 November.
The VRChat Creator Economy is in OPEN BETA with our first creator support feature: Paid Subscriptions!
You can see the full Terms of Service here, as usual.
Many changes were made to the Terms of Service in duty to enabling the Creator Economy. We have further terms in another document, visible here. Together, the Terms of Service and the Creator Economy Program Rules enable us to provide you with Creator Economy services, and lays out the rules of that system.
As far as other changes, Section 13.4 of the Terms of Service states that we monitor activity on VRChat (server logs, Recent Worlds, Recent Avatars, analytics, etc), but also that we may make audio and video recordings of VRChat. These recordings may be made in an automated manner to maintain the security and integrity of the Platform, or may be done to investigate a violation of the Terms, or of a law. This section was added to account for future systems where moderation and reporting systems require this data to operate, such as (for example) an audio/video buffer included with a moderation report.
You can check out the full text here. Our changes are effective November 22, 2023.
Most of the changes involve restructuring and re-writing existing sections to make them easier for you to understand. Some additional notable changes are:
- We moved our California Resident Privacy Notice to a new page, here. The new page includes disclosures required under California law as well as details about the rights available to California residents regarding their personal information under the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020.
- We describe our collection of information about the movement of your body and eyes if certain in-platform features are enabled. This covers features like Full Body Tracking and Eye Tracking.
- We describe situations in which we will use and share your information if you engage with the VRChat Creator Economy.
- We provide additional details about how we use your personal information.
- We provide additional details about situations in which you direct us to share your personal information, such as when you use the Open Sound Control protocol (“OSC”) to connect to third-party devices and services.
- We elaborate on the rights available to users in the European Economic Area, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, and Brazil regarding their personal information.
- We talk about how we use your personal information to enforce the Terms of Service. We talk about using artificial intelligence (AI) in particular. This is in reference to image scanning technology we use to analyze user-uploaded images for Terms of Service violations such as hateful imagery.
We value transparency and hope this update allows you to better understand our privacy practices.
Here’s some features and improvements we’re dropping with 2023.4.2:
- Content Gating filtering is in, which allows you to filter content based on how its labeled
- It’s off by default for everyone 18 or older, and forced on for everyone 13-17.
- … except for “Extreme Horror” because I don’t think we defined that tag very well and people are over-applying it
- Impostors are in, providing a perfectly unsuspicious way to have your avatar show to everyone, even if they’re not on a platform you built for
- You can generate an impostor manually on the VRChat Home right now! Go to Avatars on the left, click on an avatar, click Generate Impostors. It might take a bit, we’re under heavy demand
- This’ll be automatic later on, and hopefully faster than 20 hour turnarounds lol
- Updated search UI, allowing for faster and more intuitive searching for content
- Improved shader features like a better Shader Fallback system, improvements to the “Standard Lite” shader, and a brand-new “Supersampled UI” shader intended for high quality mobile UIs
- Improved interactions at high speeds and with small objects. You can interact with your menu again while flying around in Test Pilots! At least, until we break it again.
- Arguably the best change in the whole release: The Quick Menu Here page no longer starts out scrolled to the bottom. whoever fixed this, hmu, i need to buy you a drink
Our submissions are still open for the VRChat New Years Eve celebrations!
Each New Years Eve, VRChat opens up the VRChat New Years Eve Square for everyone to party and ring in the new year!
While you’re enjoying each successive New Years across the world, you can also explore the New Years Square! we’ll have posters featuring various parts of the community, booths and storefronts with familiar creators, and a video stream playing the VRChat Entertainment Network, which is a pop-up video stream featuring VRChat videos created by you!
Get your video, poster, or logo in ASAP!
The Creators team has been testing VRChat worlds on Android Mobile devices and making notes of all the ways we can improve this experience for everyone, by improving the tools available to Creators. We found that World-Space UI is one of the most difficult things to use in VRChat in its current state, designed for VR and Desktop. We identified two goals in our approach to improve this:
- Improve accessibility of existing World UI for mobile users.
- Require no setup from creators to enable, let them opt-out if they don’t want it.
With the above two goals in mind, we’re designing a feature to show world-space canvases as if they were flat on your screen. Here’s an early prototype:
Here’s the current feature list:
- Present world-space canvases in simulated screen-space, maximizing legibility and usability.
- Calculate ideal framing based on canvas bounds, physical screen size, etc.
- Ensure interaction works as usual (select, press, copy/paste, enter text, etc).
- Enable Pan and Zoom via familiar gestures.
- Enter Focus View by pressing on a UI element - or could be press and hold?
- Use existing interaction distance to decide whether an element can be Focused.
- Exit Focus View via screen-space Icon.
- Opt-Out of this feature via website (similar to Avatar Scaling)
We’re limiting the scope of this feature to get it out as soon as we can, here are some additional features we’ve considered for later inclusion:
- Enable on Desktop and VR.
- Catalog all canvases, allow selection via new menu (like an instruction booklet or mobile device you can pull out).
- Enable Creators to set default view parameters.
- Enable Creators to opt-out per-canvas.
This is the first item in a series of improvements the Creators team is making to bridge disparities between our platforms.
That’s it for this Dev Update! Woah, wait, why so SHORT??
The Creator Economy Open Beta took most of our resources these past few weeks! So, that’s where all the activity’s been!
Our next update is scheduled for 7 December, 2023. Since we’re getting ready for the holiday break, that will probably also be a fairly short update.
See you then!