VRChat should implement Oceania servers

VRChat should strongly consider implementing Oceania servers into the server listings.

:australia: Australians and :new_zealand: New Zealanders have long struggled with the high latency issues and transmission delays between USA, EU, and JP servers. On a really good day, we would be lucky to achieve a minimal ping of around 250 on a Japanese server. The next best would be the USA West servers hovering around 270 - 310+ ping.

For example but not limited to; karaoke worlds are a highly disadvantaged activity for Oceania players to get involved with as our voices can severely delay with the songs, and sometimes cut out audio while singing. Not to mention the sometimes constant disconnection with worlds, even when using high-speed Australian internet. This is certainly off-putting and sometimes not even worth playing VRChat.

If the northern hemisphere players have the advantage and enjoyment of being close to their own local servers, why can’t the southern players enjoy it too? The Aussie and Kiwi player base will surely increase on the VRChat platform if the devs decide to include new Oceania servers in their budget. A VRC developer may not read this, but I’m sure it’s a good start somewhere for us Aussies and Kiwis to be heard.

Please upvote this Canny so we can be heard! :slight_smile:

Thank you for reading this! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One thing I’ve been wondering, is that if having a server on Hawaii would cut the latency in half between mainland us and Australia.

OP made a Canny for this, so go upvote it if you’re interested in Oceania servers.

https://feedback.vrchat.com/feature-requests/p/vrchat-to-implement-oceania-servers

Oop, yes I just submitted a canny for this! Thank you so much for pointing that out! :smiley:

I’m not aware of precise demographic, though know several users in oceanic regions… friends even :slightly_smiling_face:

As to what percentage are VRchat+ users contributing to operating costs, or devs or staff based on the region that are known contributors to the platform, this I also don’t know…

I would assume that, renting datacenter servers and Internet pipelines isn’t free, so would be cool to know if such an idea was economically viable :thinking:

I feel like VRC+ isn’t justified in paying for it if we don’t have the reliable ping and latencies to do many things in VRC that others could. I certainly wouldn’t because I don’t play it enough due to the high latency from Brisbane.

It should be a case of trialing by renting a datacenter server to observe the demographics for Oceania players. I honestly don’t see many JP and EU servers around either, certainly not as popular as USA servers.

Setting aside VPN usage, I think that VRChat has stats on whereabouts users are.