Hope someone can help me, I’ve played lots of hours on VRChat and all of a sudden in early August 2021 upon loading VRChat the white box for VRChat.exe comes up for 2/3 mins then stops responding and closes (see pictures in the link below).
In the error log it mentions;
UnityPlayer.dll caused a Breakpoint (0x80000003)
in module UnityPlayer.dll at 0033:89f976fb.
No mono DLL path set. This app is either running IL2CPP, or the crash occurred before mono was initialized.
I have been in contact with VRChat support, Microsoft support and now Unity support over the past month (almost 2 now). Hundreds of emails later trying all sorts of things to fix this VRChat Support team gave in and ask me to file a bug report with Unity support. But, and I quote Unity Support here “Unfortunately, I cannot give you further advice as it falls out of our area of expertise” blar blar blar. Not much help. I am still working with Microsoft support but we still can’t find any solution, so on the off chance I’m asking as any people as I can if they can help.
So here goes;
If you wish to see a copy of the Crash.dmp or error.log please feel free to use the links provided below.
Crash dump decoded
I have no clue what or how this error caused itself to occur, everything was fine one day and broken the next. Nothing had changed software or hardware wise, it just simply stopped working.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
MSI X570-A Pro
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Windows 10 Pro
Now for the fun list of things I have tried to solve this issue:
- clean driver install
- rolling back video drivers
- rolling back Windows
- full windows fresh install (6 times now)
- running the latest version of Windows
- installing on different drives
- video stress tests
- CPU stress tests
- memory leak tests
- running memtest86
- running System File Checker
- changing memory slots to pretty much every configuration
- temperature monitoring (all totally fine)
- no Citrix installed (this was a common issue with Unity)
- no firewall/antivirus enabled
- manual under clocking of RAM speeds in BIOS
- ensuring all OC was disabled in BIOS
- BIOS update
- running several CMD based scripts found on other Microsoft forums to find and repair drive issues.
- CMD regsvr32.exe /u UnityPlayer.dll
- CMD regsvr32.exe UnityPlayer.dll
- tried booting the PC in Clean Boot state
- uninstalling / reinstalling the latest NVIDIA driver - but choose to “perform a clean installation”
- restore defaults 3D settings in Nvidia control panel
- overriding high DPI scaling behaviour on the VRChat.exe properties
- running VRChat.exe with admin right directly (without steam)
- disconnecting all peripherals except for the mouse and rebooting
- verify the integrity of game files
- reset to default avatar and world
- clearing VRChat caches
- turning it off and on again
- reinstalling DirectX
- swapped out FX card
Ironically VRChat works find on my old PC. Short of spending another £3500 (I don’t have) on another new PC I don’t know how to fix this and nor has anyone else so far.
There is this one article pointed out to me about games that use UnityPlayer.dll that crash constantly and includes VRChat among other Unity game.
Its a little concerning as one of the fixes was to RMA their CPU as it was failing at basic integer subtraction (still only within the unity game engine).
Anyway I’ve gone on long enough, any input or help is welcome and I thank you in advance.