Stolen VRChat assets been ripped how to prevent not being ripped

I really don’t like rippers one of them used an Id downloader thay made them untraceable have stolen they selling them on the black market everything from me I stopped uploading them I’m the original owner of them it’s bad VRChat you need to do something about this I don’t know make I’d encrypted so this dos not happen again to everyone all this has been done outside of VRChat and resonantly my woulds wos deleted I did submit a cease-and-desist form rippers and hackers are developing new ways to steal your this needs to end
Thay needs to be something that VRChat can stop this for good it’s in the VRChat rules

1 Like

I’ve been seeing a few others complaining about having their avis ripped. I’m not sure what can be done or if EZ Anti-cheat can help here since the avatar needs to be downloaded onto your computer in order to display it in some form, and more than likely Rippers are pulling that local data rather than grabbing it from VRC.

Unity is kind of a known quantity and so it wouldn’t surprise me at all to know that there are reverse compilers or decryption methods out there that can basically reverse-engineer an avatar (Or anything else from Unity for that matter, like other peoples’ worlds!). :carrot:

Every thread I’ve seen about this someone comments that they don’t use their private avatar in public instances because of ripping potential.

I wonder how automated that stuff is, maybe you can upload an avatar with an ID and the right name, but an older avatar, wait for it to show on black market and then actually upload it. Or maybe change the name and see how many duplicates you can get.

I hope the developers find something that provides people’s priveit and public avatars and woulds
This needs to end not just me who has this problem the vrchat community way not just make the id.s encrypted

Gooogle somthing called

Avatar Protection systems (aka Dex protection)

its a neat lil way to scramble your avatar and only unlocks if it detects YOU in it.

If anyone rips it they have a huge mess to clean and all the logic is gibberish. is often or not will take way more time to clean/fix then just making a new avatar.

this uses OSC system to work

1 Like

Will have to look into that, does easy anti-cheat allow its use? I’m not well versed in the technicalities of that kind of thing.

I’ve read of protection system where the geometry is scrambled, and then a PC shader is used with a code to reassemble it. That method is fine post EAC.

its not a mod. its all done with unity and a osc app

Dextro is a friend of mine, and he got many people to greyhat it, and nobody is able to reverse it so far. DexProtect is extremely difficult to crack, so much so you’d need to engineer very sophisticated systems and AI to do so. It scrambles meshes, as well as gameobject transforms (so it derps all your bones etc too). It doesn’t do anything more than obfuscate when it comes to your animators though.

Ripping is extremely simple to do in vrchat. They tried to reduce it by hiding the asseturl information in the API, but all this does is make it less convenient. But if anyone uses network traffic logger tools (not mods, undetected by EAC), they can log download, and backup these assets. There are multiple databases that do this. Avatar ripping from cache won’t ever stop unless they significantly impact performance to implement package encryption (which would have to be decrypted every time the asset is loaded ingame).

Unity is a C# platform, which is very easy to decompile and dump the original code, which makes it a very open-source encouraged environment, as you don’t benefit much from trying to be secretive.

My advice is usually oppositional to being so fixated on protecting your avatar, and realize that this is the internet, and rather than upsetting yourself over people getting their hands on copies of your stuff, and try to live with the reality that if you put anything onto publicly accessible domains (like media platforms, google drive, amazon AWS that vrchat uses), somebody somewhere is probably going to get their hands on it at some point.

You can’t really stop it, you can only discourage it by making it more difficult, or making accessing the content in earnest more appealing/easy; they can’t steal it if you already let them have it, and they can’t resell it much if your product is a better deal.

Every company deals with this and they usually estimate piracy and black market losses into their profit projections, and just try to seek out copyright violators (AI will make this debilitatingly difficult in the very near future).

3 Likes