SDK Error preventing me from uploading world

Hello! I’m working on a new VRChat world, and this morning I pushed it to community labs without any issue, but just now I found that the VRC SDK is greyed out and I can’t push further updates.

If I delete the Blueprint ID from the Pipeline Manager then I’m able to upload, but that would mean losing my existing ID and having to wait a week to upload again :sweat_drops:

Any suggestions? Here’s the error I receive:

ApiErrorException: Exception of type 'VRC.SDKBase.Editor.Api.ApiErrorException' was thrown.
VRC.SDKBase.Editor.Api.VRCApi.MakeRequestWithResponse[T,TResponse] (System.String requestUrl, System.Net.Http.HttpMethod method, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] queryParams, System.Boolean forceRefresh, T body, System.String contentType, System.Byte[] contentMD5, System.Int32 contentLength, System.Int32 timeout, System.Action`1[T] onProgress, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) (at ./Packages/com.vrchat.base/Editor/VRCSDK/Dependencies/VRChat/API/VRCApi.cs:288)
VRC.SDKBase.Editor.Api.VRCApi.MakeRequest[T,TResponse] (System.String requestUrl, System.Net.Http.HttpMethod method, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] queryParams, System.Boolean forceRefresh, T body, System.String contentType, System.Byte[] contentMD5, System.Int32 contentLength, System.Int32 timeout, System.Action`1[T] onProgress, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) (at ./Packages/com.vrchat.base/Editor/VRCSDK/Dependencies/VRChat/API/VRCApi.cs:340)
VRC.SDKBase.Editor.Api.VRCApi.Get[T] (System.String requestUrl, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] queryParams, System.Boolean forceRefresh, System.Boolean allowRetry, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) (at ./Packages/com.vrchat.base/Editor/VRCSDK/Dependencies/VRChat/API/VRCApi.cs:357)
VRC.SDKBase.Editor.Api.VRCApi.Get[T] (System.String requestUrl, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] queryParams, System.Boolean forceRefresh, System.Boolean allowRetry, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) (at ./Packages/com.vrchat.base/Editor/VRCSDK/Dependencies/VRChat/API/VRCApi.cs:365)
VRC.SDKBase.Editor.Api.VRCApi.GetImage (System.String url, System.Boolean forceRefresh, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken) (at ./Packages/com.vrchat.base/Editor/VRCSDK/Dependencies/VRChat/API/VRCApi.cs:729)
VRC.SDKBase.Editor.Elements.Thumbnail.SetImageUrl (System.String url, System.Threading.CancellationToken cancellationToken, System.Boolean forceRefresh) (at ./Packages/com.vrchat.base/Editor/VRCSDK/Dependencies/VRChat/Elements/Thumbnail/Thumbnail.cs:142)
VRC.SDK3.Editor.VRCSdkControlPanelWorldBuilder.CreateContentInfoGUI (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualElement root) (at ./Packages/com.vrchat.worlds/Editor/VRCSDK/SDK3/VRCSdkControlPanelWorldBuilder.cs:1304)
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__7_0 (System.Object state) (at <eef08f56e2e042f1b3027eca477293d9>:0)
UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext+WorkRequest.Invoke () (at <b41119cc6741409ea29f63c7f98de938>:0)
UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.Exec () (at <b41119cc6741409ea29f63c7f98de938>:0)
UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.ExecuteTasks () (at <b41119cc6741409ea29f63c7f98de938>:0)

Thank you in advance for your help!

That looks like a stack trace. What’s the error message that it’s attached to? Unity editor gives a full stack trace for any error message which is great if you’re working on the VRChat SDK, but you’re working on a world today so just ignore that bottom section of the console

Sorry about that, is this what you’re looking for?

I receive this error when I try to open the Builder tab in the VRC SDK. Strangely, although the World Info is greyed out, I can still check the Right To Upload checkbox at the bottom and push updates - I just can’t change the world thumbnail.

This is what it looks like:

I hope this helps narrow things down!

EDIT: To clarify, I’m using VRChat SDK 3.5.3-beta.2, and Unity 2022.3.6f1.

That could be a beta bug then. I believe there is a section for bug reports. Else would be weird for it to break randomly after an update.

It broke before the update though, and I thought updating to the latest beta would fix it. Up t until yesterday I was able to upload this world without any issue.

Thank you for the response though!

I fixed it! I’ll document what happened for anyone who has a similar issue.

So what happened was that, somehow, my world’s thumbnail got deleted from the VRC servers, causing the SDK to throw the above-listed error when attempting to access it. I had this issue when trying to upload the default VRChat SDK scene in the same project, and also in a new project entirely.

The fix I found was using VRCX to update the world thumbnail from outside Unity (I couldn’t find a way to do so from the VRChat website), and that allowed the SDK to load my world ID without any issue.

I hope this info helps someone and that I’m not breaking any rules with the fix I found! :sweat_drops: If there was a more straightforward way to fix the thumbnail, please let me know!

Thank you folks for your help!

1 Like

Congrats for tracking that down.

You should also file a report on the feedback site under the SDK section. I’d also link it here so anyone with the same problem can upvote the Canny post to signify to VRChat that a certain bug is important