Developer Update - 5 August 2022

Hey I just want to budge in here and ask/suggest with all these cool features to maybe directly impliment echo cancellation. In my own testing I’ve noticed vrchat depends on driver level echo cancellation which is fine, but I think it’d be nice to at least have the option to use in game echo cancellation in case someone’s audio driver’s implimentation of it aren’t so great or they just don’t have it at all. Unless maybe this update will indirectly address this hopefully?

Really cool stuff so far, and am excited to see what else will be added. I’d still love a way to scale your avatar in VRC. It would be really useful for game worlds that have height recommendations, so if your avatar was too big or small, you could just change to the recommended size.

Shooters, driving, flying, there are a lot of different worlds where your height really matters. There are already great safety settings for it anyway such a toggling animations for other players, so it wouldn’t even be intrusive to other players!

Sadly has a camera problem for fbt :frowning:

I am thinking the same thing as missstabby-san.
I and my friends have a number of Public avatars that we only want to show to other trusted people.
I would really like to be able to choose whether or not to show my avatar in the avatar search, and for it to be hidden by default.

If avatar search were to be implemented officially. You can have it to when an avatar is “published” or an existing one, it can be added to a “public search” tab. So like its up to the creator to allow their avatar to be searched. And with that have a button that can report avatars on that search if its against TOS.

1 Like

That requires the SRP officially and thus cannot be supported to my knowledge; Essentially it needs a newer toolkit than what the entirety of VRChat is built upon, and theoretically would break all existing VRChat content if moved to, from what I was told.

Actually, I am very much curious if you could write up a technical post on how current and suggested methods of Avatar Hiding, work.

Really good to see you guys stepping up! Any idea for amd fsr?

On terms with avatar distance hiding, I honestly think the simplest middle ground to deal with animators being broken on reshowing is to have an option like “reload avatars on show”
Something like that could be a simple fix that people whom have trouble with many avatars having write defaults on

Well the loco thing is kind of just using what they can to do, but an avatar scaling built into vrchat itself should be able to get around that issue and work with full body too.

NeosVR has avatar scaling and works fine in fullbody.

Even the lesser known High Fidelity had avatar scaling built in, though I can’t personally say how well it’s full body worked with scaling as I didn’t have it at the time Hifi was around.

A couple things I’d like to put my input on:

In regards to requests for Avatar Search; When Avatar Cloning was introduced as a feature, It was announced/recommended that anyone who does/doesn’t want their avatars clone-able, should go through their Content Manager in VRChat SDK in Unity, or the VRChat Website, and use the Make Public/Make Private option on their avatars, would it be possible to add another API tag that would add another check if the Avatar is set to Public, then give the option to make searchable/not searchable? and also naturally give that as an option when uploading Avatars with the SDK in Unity when you Build & Publish a Public Avatar?

Secondly, i’m bringing this up for friends who heavily relied on this as a mod feature; possibly consider adding the feature for a togglable menu option “Player Joined/Player Left” announcement feature; I know some world creators add this feature to their world, but that doesn’t say the same for all worlds; This feature would be helpful especially if someone shows up in your instance that you definitely don’t want to be around/exposed to/have conflict with, you’re at least aware of their presence, and can immediately go seek safety elsewhere/in another world away from said person. This feature would also help people who are running events, and keep tabs on known troublemakers who join instances, so people running events can keep tabs on said person(s) and take appropriate action if need-be. Just my two-cents.

Hide Avatar by Distance

Avatars need to fully download and load before you can see them when you get close to people (unless this happened already). I don’t like this, I want that every avatar gets downloaded when I join a instance and maybe even get loaded in, and then hide when they are to far. This is really annoying as I walk up to people and need to wait before I can see their avatar and movements. During the loading you can’t see what they hands and so do. So I have no idea if they wave to welkom me.

Other things:

• Sometimes it takes a secs for avatars to appear.
  • A visualization for the radius (like Earmuffs), but maybe in a different color.

that’s good, it’s changing and I can’t wait to see all this but what I’m even more excited about is the search for avatars which allows you to see the avatars and the worlds that the creators have made for the public

I do like the sound of a lot of these implements.

This is off-topic but I think if you were to implement avatar searching, to prevent people from getting mad you could add an option to the SDK to allow it to be searchable.

A suggestion I have had is for PC players to have access to 3rd person as well as the desktop camera. These are two mods that made my life a lot easier when taking photos for avatars etc.

Overall I like the updates coming out and I’m excited to see what the coming updates will include.

You basically just summed up what everyone keeps saying for the avatar search function.

Kudos!

To add my own two cents, it should have the same requirements the user made public list of avatars had for submission with high rating and quest compatibility to be able to upload an avatar as searchable.

Found the face mirror by accident before reading the changelog and got hyped. I feel like the only features I am missing now are Scale goes brr, Camera Animations, and Freeze Frame.

very cool

Closing, opening new thread soon.

1 Like