Developer Update - 30 March 2023

That’s strange, because I could’ve sworn Fax mentioned that:

Most notably - some user avatars may lack mipmaps, have them disabled, or have a maximum priority. This would adversely affect mipmaps with streaming enabled: Once you run out of VRAM, they’d appear blurry and stuck at a lower mipmap. Users might run into this issue maliciously, or accidentally.

The issue is that the mipmap may be stuck at a lower level. I don’t really see this as an issue, personally, since it would be prioritizing runtime performance over quality. Is it not possible to have mipmap streaming as a client toggle-able option like many other games? I know “Texture Streaming” is a setting that can be set in the quality options at least.

I think mipmap streaming is really important and is the last piece of the puzzle that VRChat can implement to help with client performance/stability before we need users to optimize their worlds and avatars. Besides, as far as I understand, most avatars should have it already enabled, right? It is a VRCSDK warning that auto-enables it if mipmaps are enabled on textures (which I think is the default behavior, no?).

I have a canny post asking for this feature.

1 Like