Developer Update - 29 September 2022

Yah you could be right. Its just a shot in the dark to be honest.

No worries, it’s a complicated problem. Thankfully, toxicity is a common problem so a lot of solutions already exist – some nebulous and policy-based, some more structured. Just a matter of finding the right one that fits VRChat, and molding it to fit our own needs.

2 Likes

I’ll report if the method of detection breaks, and if there is even still a problem with some systems after the change happens, whatever it entails. If the animator keeps running and components are hidden there is problem potential. The detection works by doing a self-interaction and if there is no parameter change, you’re assumed hidden. If a local parameter would still work, that’s my recommendation. I’ll still recommend a local parameter if everything is the same, so that someone doesn’t have to depend on self-interaction in the (rare) case that their system is sensitive to distance hiding.

1 Like

That’s true. I do feel the self moderation works pretty well and as you said, are numbers of reports have gone down, so something is clearly working. I personally have found VRC more pleasant after the security update so maybe it had something to do with that. but who knows for sure.

Though it is a hard thing to tackle. Seeing it being approached is admiral. Keep up the good work.

Please revert the icon back to this or make an option to switch between the live build and the one on beta. I still find it hard to see the indicator and it is frustrating.

4 Likes

Is there anyway the friendlist could be managed on website as well? I want to manage and comb through most the inactivity people to cut down on my friends list on who i wasn to get back in touch when they do return. My number count is getting too high for me.

Theres also seems to have a problem when it comes to friends list upon their activity within the client. I always have to look at the website for at live feed on whos actually on or offline.
Like a refresh button? I would really appreciate one installed.

I wish there was some type of sge restriction or some way the group adults and young kids separately as the one younger ones who misbehave drives off alot of people from public lobbies as well and some kids really have no filter on them : (. Sometimes i want to play games but there are so many kids in the lobby and no adults that it makes me feel uncomfortable and retreat to a private world all the time. Even though vrc is a game with alot of people with mature themes and topics, I wont say that vrc should ban kids, but make it a least more comfortable for the older audience to be and enjoy public worlds and games .:heart:

2 Likes

I find that the issue frequently happens when the game tries to load/reload the avatar for two different reasons, one while the other is still loading. For instance, if I hear an avatar with annoying sounds, I’ll quickly hide peoples avatars individually to find the source of the issue, and once I locate the problem avatar, if I hit the “Hide Avatar Globally” button and ALSO set that user individually back to using Safety settings before the avatar is finished reloading to the robot, it will instead load the avatar that I have just chosen to globally hide, on a user who I’ve chosen to only see if they’re not in an avatar I have globally hidden.

Also please free me from the hell of using the wonky gogo loco method and add an avatar scaling option.

1 Like

I kinda agree and dissagree.
The thing i disagree with is that
If we were to separate kids from adults, it would mean it will be easier for predators to groom children, despite what the age rate is about, irresponsible parents dont know the real gravity of the situation if they do not monitor nevertheless supervise what their kids do in vr as some sort of replacement of a babysitter.

I do, however, agree there should be a sort of filtration verification process program to be able to verify and be able to seperate real adults from the general population to be intergrated into the system and never be shown to non-verified members, Including options to include hidden 18+ verificated instances, forms, etc with US-standard age verification limit to make sure no adult will get mixed with any foreigners that are legally an adult at a younger age when theyre still children within the US since there can still a risk of prosecution internationally, and no adult wants to be involved with a minor regardless of other countries’ standard.

Another filtration system to be forced to watch a video that stresses the issues to adults/parents what is implied into this feature to stop any manipulation their kids might had try to trick their guardians to obtain such adult status, as well as an verification authorization Pin (once per log in) in place to stop any minors from gaining 18+ access through an adult’s account.

And finally I believe if there was ever a chance of minors slipping through on top of everything, to have that account follow broken tos rules that would be placed upon such 18+ filtration feature. To enforce monitoring on adults if they dont want to be punished or banned from their account.

1 Like

Your right i didnt think about that! Honestly, i just want a safe and comfortable environment
. The group thing wasnt really an idea for them to use, it was only to be just an example to imply for some type of system to atleast be put in place like you suggested, which your idea sounds pretty good<3

When can we expect some added tools specific to the user camera itself? These kind of camera tools such as animated camera movement or different ways to implement cinematic camera movements would be a game changer for content creators such as myself.

2 Likes

Does this mean if I use a different PC to log into VRC, Avatar display settings won’t be synced? I hope there’s some means of syncing this with clients on other computers.

2 Likes

For example, we believe that Groups will help reduce the “surface area” of toxicity by a large amount. Groups allows users to self-organize and self-moderate in various ways. The Groups system, which has been in design and development for quite some time, has features that we believe will help community leaders and community members create spaces that are ideal for new and experienced users to go and find like-minded friends.

Is group-only instance comming with this update?

1 Like

People will often use the fact that someone’s avatar is shown to mean that they have met that person before even if they haven’t seen them for a long time.

Rather than deleting them off the server, why don’t you just store it locally and back it up onto the server on close of the client instead of hitting the API on every show hide action?

If you switch moderation from server-side to client-side what happens to the “Nuisance” rank? How is that going to work, getting blocked/muted repeatedly used to lower someone’s trust to the point they would get the nuisance rank, without sending blocks/mutes to the server this would no longer work right? Also if block is no longer managed by the server relationship system, how does our client know if we are being blocked by someone now when checking the “Here” tab? Will getting blocked even still mean that both parties can’t see each other anymore?

Please, don’t add ToxMod lol

I wont

phew, thanks

Of course hun, lol no worries.

I mean no harm, we all have the same goal for all of us adults to be able to that peace of mind and enjoy vrc with more of a mature audience with the same mortality. I do hope they figure out a solution.

While managing and organizing favorites will be very nice I’d love to know if there are any plans to add the same functionality for the uploaded avatars/worlds tab?

1 Like