Developer Update - 29 September 2022

I’ve seen people use cardboard headsets connected to their PC before, it works as well as it can, which isn’t the greatest since they lack any 6DOF tracking and proper display and optics, as well as controllers.

Standalone cardboard will definitely never be a thing, most phones can’t handle the performance requirements, and the Cardboard platform itself has been discontinued for years. ^^"

Tupper has already addressed this in the previous update. Due to the nature of the feature it tends to break worlds and UI interaction. This can lead to unnecessary bug reports, which waste dev time ( even for world creators, not just the VRC devs). For now it will not be saved so that these reports don’t flood them.

Probably not a wise idea to link all of that here tbh, especially with an instruction video.

Any updates on video players instantly shutting down AMD drivers? The issue has been persisting for a while and some users would really like to benefit from the newer features offered to them in their newer driver releases.

It’s been discussed on before and acknowledged by users that EAC flags false positives on any recent AMD encoders for HW Acceleration as malicious.

Hey @tupper - do you guys read the VRC subreddit sometimes ?
Well here are my suggestions I posted there in the “most wanted features” post:

1. Native support for communities and events in the in-game client and on the website. Both can be browsed like map instances. Communities have event calendars and members with roles and rights (just like guilds in Wow). Events are tied to communities and have a calendar entry you can subscribe and automatically managed instances for their events.
  2. More instance settings. Avatar performance level to enter, 18+ instances, roles and rights for the hosts and DJs (see 1.), Auto-clone map state & instance settings to overflow instances
  3. Customizable hotkey bar under the quickmenu (just like in the UiExpansionKit mod)
  4. Asset workshop, in-game and website (just copy paste the gmod workshop), so we can actually contact content creators, leave feedback, contribute together, search for content (avatars!), Pay / donate, subscribe to content etc

Those are the building blocks for thriving communities and staying relevant in a Metaverse future. I am really puzzled why the Vrchat team does not realize this and its nowhere on the agenda. I mean, even the smallest and simplest online RPGs / social games have things like “guilds” / some sort of community organisation (it seems to be on the agenda now, so I am not puzzled anymore).

Also regarding the “avatar scaling” feature. I spoke to quite a few players about it. The consensus: please do not overcomplicate it with world creators being able to turn it off. At this moment you can use very small avatars anyway as a user. It only hurts the creators (like me), because we have to maintain 3 different versions of every avatar to match different sizes.
So please - do a quick and simple implementation first (“Avatar scale” radial button next to the “Reset Avatar” in the radial menu) and give it a 1 minute cooldown for safety reasons. The advanced options can come later. How the developer would say, YAGNI! KISS!

1 Like

I’m glad that VRChat is looking into the issue of toxicity. It can be very difficult for players to get video / audio evidence of malicious behaviour. And I think VRChat has a responsibility to make it easier to keep ourselves safe. Thank you for starting the conversation!

Rec Room uses ToxMod to let human moderators more easily find toxic behaviour.
Since it was introduced, I think it’s has a positive effect on their community. Does anyone have thoughts on it?

2 Likes

By the way, in regards to toxicity and trying to address it, I assume the team knows about and has looked at tools such as ToxMod? Oh lol, Fax beat me to it. :v

1 Like

Hmmm, would you mind sharing your experiences with it? I think it may be a good way for human monderators to find the most toxic 1% of players.

1 Like

YES! A lot of fixes and improvements that I was looking for so much! Keep it up! :heart:

I want also suggest a very important feature for Worlds Creators about hte moderation.
Please please please, give to worlds creators the possibility to give a “moderation ability” to a friend.
I mean, the possibility to kick a user directly like you’re the owner of the world, but only after the owner it self gave you this ability and you’re in his firend list.

1 Like

So this is nice and all, but when are we going to get a left handed portal placement option? I have a canny post on it, btw.

2 Likes

The changes to the Hide/Block system are very concerning to me. I have been playing a long time and have a long list of blocked/hidden users. these are not simply people I don’t like (I value opinions, even ones i don’t like), these are people that have/were coming into public lobbies and using crasher avatars or spamming extremely loud noise through their microphones. This is a list I do not want to lose under any circumstance or else playing in public lobbies will be impossible for me. Will there be options to import/export these lists from the game? if someone buys/builds a new computer then how will the lists be transferred over? what happens if someone’s computer just up and dies? how will this impact the trust/rank system if blocked/muted players are no longer reported to the server? I have a feeling this will lead to people maintaining their own ban lists externally and we’ll just have a list of 10,000 users that are blocked by everyone.

1 week for the migration is an EXTREAMLY short period. With this kind of change it should be a 1-2 month period for the migration. Consider the people that are on vacation, those who are traveling for work, those that just don’t play often, there may be other reasons. 1 week is far too short.

1 Like

But if the constant is toxic visitors, and those making new accounts to bypass a ban, then this system would dump new people who aren’t used to VRChat in a concentration of the worse offenders on VRChat. Most likely intensifying the odds that new people would have a horrid first time experience and never return. :cold_sweat:

I think it’d be better to allow new folks to have access to veterans, and they can be easily shown the ropes in a personable way. Aaaaaand, who really likes being forced to sit in time out/tutorial when they first boot up a game? :sweat_smile:

Oh, one thing I haven’t seen mentioned yet:

Sometimes I talk to players who are not aware of how useful the ‘report’ feature is, thinking that their reports are not being processed.

Perhaps something could be done to make it more obvious when action has been taken against a user. Maybe with an in-game notification?

We’d need to be careful not to encourage users to report each other falsely, but a system like that may already be in place.

5 Likes

Regarding the toxicity issue; I’m always wary of the potential of over regulation.

I find the hide avatar/mute/block functions to be perfectly suitable for personal moderation in public servers (in fact, I rarely block, as I find the other two perfectly suitable for my needs).

Not everyone has the same level of tolerance or idea of what is “toxic.” I’ve been blocked simply for disagreeing with someone’s opinion. I would rather err on the side of people being able to freely say whatever they want, even if I find it offensive, than to possibly get to the point of speech policing server wide. Self moderation allows people of different tolerances to chose how strict or lax they want to be.

Maybe people don’t understand the value of self moderating bad actors?

The only toxic behavior I had true difficulty with was last weekend, when a group of immature children repeatedly tried to vote kick my friend group out of a game world, because we asked them to either play or leave (they were just talking). We eventually won the “vote kick war” when some of us started calling in random friends to out number them. :laughing:

No problem. Nobody’s soul is getting aliased on my watch!! :sunglasses:

(unless I make a world that aliases your soul; that does sound like something I would do)

1 Like

Hi, @desmoulins, @darkpowers - You’ve misread what Tupper wrote. He didn’t say that “Block” and “Mute” player moderations would be affected. He only said that “Show Avatar” and “Hide Avatar” player moderations will transition to locally saved data.

I have a question about this: Are the majority of the “Show Avatar” player moderations, by any chance, being performed by Quest users?

I think you might guess the reason I ask this. :wink: I rarely play on the Quest native version but, when I do, I cringe at the user experience that regular Quest users endure regarding Very Poor rated avatars. Perhaps it’s time to remove the ability to override the soft blocking of Very Poor avatars on Quest. If Very Poor avatars were totally blocked on Quest (including from being rendered as the player’s own avatar), then it would finally force avatar authors to achieve a Poor or better rating.

Alternatively, do the opposite and just add the “Don’t Block” option that the PC version has. Perhaps include a large warning message when the user selects it. The warning message could recommend the use of the new ‘hide avatars based on count’ feature.

Either of the above options should reduce the behaviour of Quest users choosing to “Show Avatar” on everyone they encounter.

Also, shouldn’t the “Performance” section of the Settings Quick Menu be duplicated in the Performance Settings Main Menu (directly under the “Block Poorly Optimized Avatars” section probably)?

And, also - unrelated - my latest feature request: Add random background design selection

It’s good to see that major changes are being made for server stability. It’s been kinda sad for a long while that when the servers are having troubles, it seems like ability to login is the first thing to go. Friends list and favourites and such not updating adequately is much more workable than being unable to get on period. Worst case scenario people can use the website ow web apps to invite themself where they wish to go, and use the more reliable location information there.

. . .
As far as toxicity, i’ve actually made commentary about this before in a number of groups and on the canny, various things that can cause arbitrary toxicity or antisocial behaviours. The primary of which being the nature of the blocking system, and the current behaviour of orange status. User blocking can be disruptive or even used to incite social drama. Not sure how common this is overall without seeing report statistics, but i’ve seen it happen in my midst plenty of times.

Orange status can lock people into public instances more because they are impeded from going elsewhere due to psychological side effects of friends lists being populated by orange status users who are attempting to hide from said toxicity, which creates more of it. I had proposed a possible solution for this, by having orange status provide more information as to where they are so that there is incentive to request (lack of info makes it a strong deterrent).

More robust/detailed moderation functions could be very useful, but there’s also the trouble of api requests, which efforts have been made to reduce upon… But if there was more metadata for things such as user volume, avatar blocking etc - so that if someone gets their volume turned down by enough users, they’d have their volume automatically reduced when you first load them. Same as avatar, if everyone blocks a specific avatar, it would make sense for it to initially default that avatar as hidden (ofc having a toggle for enabling or disabling this function).

As much as people don’t like it, in the past, while it had been used maliciously, people used to very often (especially back in 2018) use crashers as vigilante moderation. It was like the wild west, or a USA with open gun laws. If a felon entered the room people could deal with them if necessary out of self defence. This was often done for community identified avatar thieves and so on (communities could keep track of who people were if they used alt accounts or ban evaded). Not saying i recommend this methodology, but it did have a degree of effectiveness. VRChat’s official moderation needs either more concrete information on something, else has to take someone’s report for it’s word, whereas communities would vote on the maliciousness of individuals, and provide that information. On the flip side, this also enabled a hell of a lot of ostracization, if someone behaved in an unpoular way, there was the infamous “kos lists” were people would crash said user on sight simply because their homies said to.

Overall it’s a difficult thing to balance to increase general comfort and safety, while minimizing generation of tools that can be used to further toxicity.

The most harmful types of toxicity are not the insults or racial slurs or whatever (or even being obnoxious or crashing), the most harmful ones are the insidious gossiping and favouritism/discrimination amongst groups. VRChat is a small world, and it’s easy for things to get out of hand as word of mouth can spread far. I’ve come across more than my fill of drama between people i’ve had to swat down for it’s childishness, in defence of social harmony. This form of toxicity is unfortunately also the hardest to fix. I had made some commentary on this in the past (you’ll have to ctrl+f my username in the comments) about how the idea of Groups could actually cause more avenues of favouritism/discrimination, encourage people to have places where they can sit and talk about others and disallow from their circles and so on. I don’t think this is as much of an issue now, as the toxic “gang” scene has faded into obscurity. Conversely, Groups could also allow individuals to more easily identify who their antagonists are and do damage control. I suppose we’ll see how things play out.

Unrelated, I will friendly remind about the issues people have regarding the NearClip issue.

Is avatar scaling planned?

2 Likes

Liking the small little improvements on things and looking forward to what Spookality brings us. Also liking how we have more control on the website for manage favorites, that’ll help immensely, and improvements and added options to the IK are always welcome. Really liking how progress is going.

As for the toxicity problem, a good way to get the community to be more pro-active in reporting bad actors is letting them know their reports are being heard. Several online games and many social platforms shoot you a ping if action against an account they’ve reported has be taken, with no details or specifics. Would go a long way in combating the perceived notion that the in-game report function feels like it doesn’t do much.

Also I’m still looking forward to progress and or work being started on avi rescaling, camera animations, freeze frame features, and avatar search as well. I know a lot of people are excited for these. Have been excited for the news that you’ve given on rescaling that you’re brainstorming a system that allows world creators to enable/disable it. Hope that’s going well.

Or an option to pick how long to save information like that, more power to the user!

1 Like