Developer Update - 29 September 2022

I second this comment, we haven’t heard anymore updates on the Avatar Rescaling. Any updates and/or news on this being implemented in a beta update??

2 Likes

Any plans to add sorting favorite worlds lists by “Most Recently Added” like how it was previously? Unless I’m blind and it’s already in there.

5 Likes

3 Likes

About player moderations, I think they should be kept for longer than a week server-side. Many many many players don’t log into VRChat for months at a time. That doesn’t make them inactive, or mean they should lose their data on this.

Additionally, VRChat should have an easy way to export and import your local profile data to migrate Windows installs, copy it on another PC and so on. This in general would help a lot with items being stored locally.

As for the show/hide moderations, couldn’t they be updated server-side only on game exit? As a bonus, this means if you enable someone’s avatar and it crashes your game, it won’t save it.

3 Likes

I hope old worlds are on by default instead of off if the world author doesn’t configure it

2 Likes

Any word on having the “Forced Camera Near Distance” setting in the Main Menu save? Everytime I get on the game, I have to set it manually which kinda gets a bit frustrating since the new main menu is easy to get lost in. (Open Beta)

5 Likes

That does make them inactive, even for a short while. But I agree there should be a route to get the data

3 Likes

I know that many people (myself included) are still annoyed about the EAC update and the fact that these important feature updates are happening after EAC was added, but I am not the type of person to ignore positive change when I see it.

These frequent developer updates have gone a long way towards repairing the damage done by the EAC update. Communication is key, especially when big changes are being implemented. I don’t know why there wasn’t more of a warning about the EAC update, but with the track record being set by these posts, I have hope that the community won’t be blindsided by a massive change like the EAC update again.

Keep up the transparency, the silent majority appreciates it more than you know.

6 Likes

Smooth First Person Camera Improvements

This is awesome! There is a similar problem with the hand-held camera smoothing too though. Does this update fix that as well? In-car shots of people would be so much better with it!

Can you explain a bit more about the avatar distance hiding changes? Currently, avatar distance hiding breaks some avatar systems, and the work around was to detect the hidden avatar and do the right thing in your animator. If this detection doesn’t work anymore and distance hiding still causes problems in specific systems, there will be no way to fix it in the animator. Maybe you can give us a local parameter to handle distance-hidden avatars

1 Like

I think you might not understand what I mean by that part of the post. What I mean is that at some point, we will implement the feature for local saving. After about a week or so, all server data of show avatar and hide avatar player moderations will be deleted, and no more will ever be saved to the server.

We realize this isn’t ideal, but there really isn’t any other way.

1 Like

epic!

1 Like

The current Avatar hiding system on open beta does not touch the animator at all, and leaves it running. It most definitely should not be breaking anything! It pretty much just turns meshes off…

The improvements that we’re talking about in this latest update have nothing to do with animators at all.

2 Likes

It breaks some systems because the animator keeps running but the components are hidden. It definitely breaks some systems, and you can specifically detect it and correct the issue in animator

1 Like

Holy smokes you guys had to deal with alot as of late. Im glad things kinda got sorted out with the down time and servers.

I think any long time users would agree Toxic people kind of come with being online and its really hard to avoid. We do have self moderation tools and I feel this works for the most part being users know how to use them correctly.

Honestly it comes down to us as a community looking out for each other and standing up to bullying. In my Mental health group in VRC, Toxic behavior does come up often and we discuss way of dealing with that kind of stuff.

Their is no one way to fix it when it comes to bullying. Everyone deals with it in their own way. I do find that some of the biggest offenders are Visitors. This is why I keep all Visitors muted and their Avi’s turned off.

Spit ball idea.

When someone is banned from VRC they will often just make a new account and come back to do the same thing. What if Visitors are place in a temp world with other visitors? They will need to spend time in that world for so many hours before being able to go to another world. We can call it the kinder garden (The world could be a garden lol) In this world you will meet everyone who is new and make new friendships. BUT this will also make it harder for banned users to just make a new account and jump back in.

The kinder garden will have VRC rules all over it so being this is the only place they can be for awhile, they will read the rules at some point. Along with the rules will be info on how to use VRC menus and what not.

OR

Make it so Visitors can only join worlds with other Visitors. This would only last for so many hours and then they will be allowed to go to public worlds with other user ranks.

Now I know its not just Visitors who are Toxic but for the most part I feel like it is. But IDK just a spit ball idea.

1 Like

a friend has a request on the canny for that exact issue. there’s a whole conversation going on about it if you want to join in. Canny

2 Likes

regarding the local file for player moderations, if there can be documentation available for an easy way to back that up and/or migrate it to a different computer you also use (like a laptop when traveling) that would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

I see. I suspect that there’s very few ways we’ll be able to solve this issue completely, and its starting to approach “close enough” level at least in my mind. I use Avatar Hide by Distance in fairly aggressive situations and have yet to run into an avatar visibly broken by the current version.

Notably, your post is also the first time I’ve been made aware that the “new” way (not touching animators) still breaks stuff.

Seems reasonable

This is a good way to quickly way to tank our retention rate :smiling_face_with_tear: New users meeting experienced users is pretty important.

5 Likes

Am i missing the area to add one of your personal avatars to a favorite category on the website. I can’t seem to see how to do that.

1 Like

You can’t add avatars to favorites on the site, I think. Only remove/manage.

2 Likes