Developer Update - 22 September 2022

Hey, can you guys add a way to sort worlds playlists by latest addition to said playlist?

that’s how I keep track of the stuff I visited with the old UI

1 Like

I’m sure they have their reasons.
Probably afraid people will decide to use text instead of speaking out of convenience, I totally would if it was a feature back in 2017.
I wouldn’t have forced myself to speak and gotten over that anxiety if I could just go around it.

Either way, mutes can just find a pen in a world and tell people to enable chatbox that way.

P.S. totally forgot, the chatbox doesn’t have a profanity filter yet, that might be a big reason. xD
Don’t want hoards of people with slurs over their head chasing you.

From my experience, 90% of people don’t change the default settings, and I think the people who want to change this would know better than to make false reports. Surely the Dynamic setting is safe to save? I’ve yet to see it break in any world, can you provide some examples?

4 Likes

Actually, it’s the other way around. I have to speak instead of text but not out of convenience. Rather because I have to in order for the person to even know what I’m saying. And, there are worlds mutes go to that don’t have pens, ya know? Profanity filter isn’t a big problem like u make it. That will be a nice option but not necessary. U don’t like what someone’s saying, turn their chatbox off, specifically, or block them…simple.

A big portion of the miss in the initial hit or miss was due to the introduction of per-tracker IK and max range to ignore distant trackers when IK2.0 came out. It’s now possible, for example, to just not even have your hip tracked at all. So some people who were used to using incorrect “User Real Height” (which affects the range that trackers will bind at) would log in with the hip binding point in the wrong position, bind into FBT with a completely un-tracked hip and assume that is just how bad the new IK was. After many cycles of troubleshooting with users I believe this was the main cause of the two-sided “new IK is horrible” - “I don’t know, works great for me” that sometimes comes up. Using the new calibration visuals should make it clearer when something like that is going wrong.

Another big portion were people who had their base animation layer doing things that disturbed the IK, for example when crouching. I believe mods went as far as to mess around with your animator as well, so people might not have understood what was causing things to shift when they crouched, just that they liked mods better. This should now be solved for those people if they use the new option to disable locomotion animations.

As far as I know, the mod’s spine behavior didn’t allow full locking of both/either head or hip, but was in between. You can approximate this by using IK2’s lock-both mode but looking down when you bind, this will give a bit of a higher binding point on the hip trying to pull it down but to a limited extend (less than lock-head mode would). I don’t consider that our final solution though and I plan another polish pass on the spine behavior, but for now doing that workaround should get you really close to what you were used to.

As far as config options, those have been held behind the new main menu release, but once that’s out I want to get more IK config into the menu, however more spine config (if added) would likely come after the above mentioned spine polish pass. At first, instead it would likely be lower hanging fruit like getting some launch options into the UI and possibly some basic angle config on the knees or wrists that people have been asking for.

The post that Tupper is mentioning is here if you’d like to look at my advice for how to get things to “just work” with the current setup: Developer Update - 5 August 2022 - #35 by Kung

And as Tupper mentioned, if you have any specific feedback / feature requests, feel free to hit up the #ik2 discord channel or especially the IK2 canny

1 Like

Knee angle config! Yes!
The one thing I miss from Neos’ full body.
The lack of knee adjustment is the only reason I’d want knee trackers, to force them in the right direction.

Can we please have a parameter that allows us to stick our chatbox on the avatar itself? It’s very annoying when using the chatbox to try to physically move my body in front of the person I’m talking to, and while a notification sound is helpful, being able to pull out a sign with the chatbox on it and hold it in front of someone to get their attention specifically would be very nice, in addition to Cool Avatar Things it would enable.

Also, avatar scaling when?

2 Likes

I’d suggest keeping anything that would be needed to “quickly make performance room” when running low on frames to stay in the quick menu.
The last thing you’d want is getting stuck at 5fps because of someone spamming particles is having to dig through multiple menus to reach for the particle kill-switch

2 Likes

I really hope you guys fix the bug that doesn’t save slider values before punting things out of the quick menu. Haven’t tried 1241 yet but I always find myself needing to redo my avatar touch haptics settings whenever I start the game.

A hacky mod and a published game have two different levels of standards to meet. :person_shrugging: A mod user would (hopefully) be aware of the issues it might cause, whereas if it was native, it would be harder to figure out the cause. And you shouldn’t conflate what you want with what “the users” want.

Spending a bunch of engineering time and QA time for a half-baked implementation isn’t really ideal. This isn’t <insert game company you hate here>.

This. Do you guys run analytics on the menu? I wonder if it would be possible to get actual data on which settings get used more often, and keep those in the QM.

(Or have a “pinned settings” section where we can choose which settings go on the QM: Canny )

1 Like

My friend and I have also been having this issue. I don’t know what triggers it.
My friend became mute for hours and restarting didn’t fix it for him. Where as when my mic stopped working, reseting did fix it for me.
Neither of us are using the Open Beta. We’re standard players.

This has been mentioned once in the replies but is something I’ve heard quite a few of my friends talk about so here it is :

While it is true the the quick menu is overloaded with all the new settings, the user experience to go find one of those settings if they are moved into the main menu like you plan on doing takes way more time and simply isn’t as convenient, especially for settings that need to be often adjusted or don’t save states. This is why I would suggest looking into making the gear tab into a “quick settings tab” (no idea how to name it) that you can populate yourself with some of the settings you personally use the most (See this Canny for an idea on how that could work).

Overall very happy with everything that has been added so far, this is the only point that has been bugging me and some of my friends. Keep it up!

1 Like

It’s not just you, I’ve had the same issue and so have several people I’ve hung out with.

Ok good so the reskin wasn’t the new keyboard

Can avatar haptics be adjusted to not be boolean pulses when interacting but instead increase in intensity as velocity increases? Currently it just pulses more as velocity increases and feels wrong.

I hope the new algorithm focuses solely on newer worlds and not trying to shove old worlds in. Maybe 6 months or newer. Encourage new worlds to be created and explored. Yes the new tab exists but it can’t be sorted by anything meaningful

1 Like

Why not show a warning when enabling haptics considering users are allowed to show very poor avatars and the average performance of most worlds that are featured on quest. Is the performance hit really that significant?

Do you have the sensitivity turned up? I recommend Strength at like 10~15% and Sensitivity at 90%.

I think a watch might be useful for quest users. On PCVR I can have the Oculus system attach a watch to near the controller, so its mostly at the wrist, so I’m not in VRChat too late.

2 Likes

I once had a clock mod on the top left corner of my quick menu, nexts to FPS. After mods died, I downloaded OVR Tool Kit just so I could look at my and to see the time.

Yes. A native clock has always been a must for me.

1 Like

Then this setting should not at least be hidden like that, im supposed to click 20 buttons each time i start the game to be able to play? Thats worst UX I could ever imagine, but I will probably see even worse in future from you guys, you never stop surprising me with disappointment