Developer Update - 22 September 2022

If avatar Haptics is being updated, will it be a good idea to add a camera-based player collider system, too, since the avatar system is being touched? Just make it so that the world collision is associated with player height rather than the ANCIENT capsule that has been in play for nearly a decade.

1 Like

Can you guys implement something similar to the IK tweaks mod. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, tldr: the IK tweaks mod had a good selection of customization features where people can adjust their FBT tracking to however they liked(i.e. spine adjustment, neck adjustment, choosing between T-Pose calib and A-Pose calib, etc). It was so useful esoecially for the dancers. Just a thought~

2 Likes

please add a button binding to switch between sitting and standing mode

3 Likes

Kung has a really good post for this, but when they told me about it, the short version is that changing those settings in-app means that there’s no such thing as a “target rig” that avatars should aim for having (proportionally speaking, of course). Those settings make that rig a moving target and really tough to deal with from a development standpoint.

That being said, there’s definitely some places we could have knobs you could turn to get it “just right”. We’ll explore this eventually. It isn’t off the table to add more customization and settings to advanced features like FBT-- just not planned for the immediate future.

We’d like to add binding capability for all kinds of actions! A lot of the reason we haven’t is because we’re waaaaaaaay overdue for an input system overhaul, so anything we add now will have to be redone later.

We’re OK with that to a limited degree, but not for everything.

4 Likes

So far the patches that’ve been coming in have done very well on improving the issues that the new Main Menu had initially shipped to beta with, very pleased with the progress so far. One of the biggest things still nagging at it though is stuff like wings and other settings (at least those that’d make sense to) not retaining their settings/states per new instance of VRC. I’m sure this was noticeable while dogfooding the new UI though. Hopefully that gets addressed pretty soon as I’ve developed a routine every time I startup VRChat because of it~ ^^;

1 Like

Fixed in 1242

(at least for wings idk where else)

2 Likes

I know some settings like the avatar haptics sliders resetting their values on launch for example, I think there were some others as well. I believe there’s a canny for it somewhere, it’s just been tough to keep track of since there’s an increasing mountain of feedback/reports growing and Canny’s search engine leaves a bit to be desired. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That’s good to hear that it’s even being considered tbh! I know the results with IK update at the start was a heavy hit or miss with FBT users that relied on the mod. So them hearing that would bring some kind of relief back. Ty!

If its any help, people that had to make MAJOR adjustments via the mod to get their avatar to work correctly almost always have some serious issues with their avatar’s rig that they need to work out. Once those issues are worked out, though? All works well.

I don’t want to volunteer for them, but Kung often answers questions in the #ik-2 channel in the Discord when people ask.

(again, I don’t want to overload them with work that isn’t really in their job description, so if you ask, please ask nicely :smiley: )

Any plan to look into the Safety systems? I’m still getting problems of audio playing, shaders showing, and other annoyances from players that are not on my friend’s list. I have literally everything but “show avatar” (and the usual stuff so I can hear the player) off.

You mentioned something about camera animations using keyframes a while back, do you know how far in the future that might be implemented if its still on the table?

1 Like

Of course, it’s just that the EAC thinks they’re dangerous.

Software name: OpenVR FSR Foveated Rendering

Third person???

You guys reverted back to an icon, but we want the icon like in the live build where when unlocked it is green, and locked it has a red cross. In the beta version, the icons are white and are still really hard to see, and as a person who uses gesture toggle very often, I find it very frustrating. Please either make a toggleable option to change between the beta gesture toggle or the current live build or revert it back to how the live build is (green when unlocked and red cross when locked).
The HUD element being resizable is probably a good idea too.

1 Like

Ok, but, the chatbox does not serve its intended purpose, right now, and can’t for one reason and one reason only…it’s defaulted to friends only. And, some people think it’s exclusive to friends or doesn’t even know it exists and can be set to everyone. So, mutes can’t properly communicate with people in public worlds. I said it on a canny post and I’ll say it here, too. The chatbox needs to be defaulted to everyone and an option to set it to friends only or mutes are gonna keep struggling to talk in public worlds. And, the only me option…what is even the point of that???

4 Likes

Please consider a launch option or something for advanced users at the very least, :sob:

Changing a setting every time the game is launched is, and always will be very annoying.

2 Likes

But boofy! Think about the extra support requests that they’ll have to tend to! That’s surely more important than QoL features!

It should at the very least be tied to whether or not you’re able to hear a person’s voice through safety settings and muting and such.

1 Like

I had the same issue on PC. You have to manually scroll the bar to the left by grabbing it and sliding. If you use the arrows to move it… it’s exactly in the center and is skipped. Which is clearly a bug, as the arrows should move a PAGE at a time to the right/left… not all the way to the end as that would be a >> or << icon according to every other UI out there.

In a way you can already block movement if you want to, just open the main menu, it blocks movement. :smile:

You might want to look into setting the deadzone in SteamVR if you have drifting Index controllers though.