Developer Update - 2 September 2022

How is the current state on Avatar Scaling btw? Any news on that front?

2 Likes

Still Hoping that we get a Trello board to keep track of the updates. It’s much better for transparency and live updates

4 Likes

Notes on the Camera itself (Feature request, really):
The stream camera should have a “Hide” option, so I can just have the lens out without the annoying screen in view. As the moment, I put the lens where I want it, then use my playspace mover to move the panel very far under me, so I don’t accidentally grab/activate it and so I don’t see it.

4 Likes

A Trello would be nice… But I think the current forms do pretty good, from my opinion.

1 Like

Suggestion for that: What if you guys made it a toggle (for world developers) to allow collision or not? It would fix the “General Situational” issue…

2 Likes

I should probably also mention that even if the Camera has collision, the player can still look through walls, by simply leaning into one.

1 Like

It would be nice if you can implement Camera Collision settings with the previously mentioned “VRChat Travel”, allowing the users to choose rather than whatever the default would be.

1 Like

World designers have options to prevent such things, and udon can detect height to prevent vertical playspace or stupid tall avis. Up to them to add those. I used some black inverted cubes in one of my game worlds to prevent wall peeping back in the day

1 Like

As i’ve mentioned in my feedback, the camera going through walls and floor isn’t good, people can spy on others and take ‘private’ pictures without consent, you can even leave the camera under the floor and take pictures of other people’s panties! and they would never know becuase the camera is underground.

In the feedback i’ve asked to add the camera to Safety, so you can go poof in other people’s cameras (and stream cameras!), so they have to ask you for permission to take pictures, regardless the feedback that you’re waiting for, i think this should be the way to go.

Also, how are the chatbox improvements going? it’s been some time since we heard about it, hopefully we’ll see improvements with or after the release of the menu. The chatbox has been the greatest feature so far.

3 Likes

Nothin’ new. Locked behind something we’re calling “world permissions”.

I’m looking into this myself but have had very little time. :smiley: It’d also need to go up an approval chain, since we’ve considered doing it in the past but decided not to due to various reasons, mostly circled around us often having to change plans or roadmaps midway through. Transparency has costs.

If we had layers to spare, this would be a layer. But we don’t.

That’s not exactly where I’d see that living, but maybe.

I think its important to point out that these retroactive changes don’t account for the vast amount of old worlds that this change would affect. Authors aren’t always around (or willing, or able) to update old content.

We really don’t like breaking or degrading old content and try our best to avoid it whenever possible. We most certainly don’t like doing it intentionally for a (relatively) minor feature add.

3 Likes

I think maybe it should be an option for world creators to be able to force enable or disable camera collision in their worlds.

1 Like

Oh goodness that single feature alone just ballooned the dimensionality of what Safety effects to like a whole new level! It’s a cool idea, don’t get me wrong, but it’s already a pretty complicated system to a even a relatively experienced user. :sweat_smile:

We’re probably just going to add collision since the request seems to be there.

Also, keep in mind that the camera has a flight range of 15 meters.

3 Likes

Indeed. While having such an option added to Udon, it’ll not be forced “on” for older worlds, or even classic SDK2 worlds, so, it’ll have to be “make it globally collide” or “make it fly through” are the only 2 options that can be looked at now.

2 Likes

Since you guys are working on the camera implementations. It would be lovely to see a way to hide the camera locally for remote players. The same as it is for local. Have the option to see cameras solid, transparent or no camera. It is perfect for those streamers that have their cameras out and you don’t want to see that black dot on your face!

1 Like

nVidia’s VRS only works on RTX 20XX+ cards. From what I understand there’s not any kind of cross-platform equivalent that approaches its effectiveness. (Yet!)
For people on older GPUs, we’re still looking into solutions, but (again, from what I understand) there really isn’t much out there that’s a good solution. Most things we’ve found either don’t work with VRChat as-is (AMD FSR requires a Unity upgrade, among other things), or break stuff and doesn’t itself improve visual fidelity (the FSR OpenVR hack, as described last time).
We’re not done looking, though. Honestly, it might be best just to offer a “downscale rendering” option without upscaling, since that’s basically what gets you frames in the first place…

For me this really isn’t a good replacement for FSR then? The people who most need this are people with older GPU’s no? Someone with a 30 series is more likely to be bottlenecked on CPU rather than GPU. Meanwhile someone like me who is still running a 1080 isn’t going to see any benefit from this, where benefit could before be seen with FSR. For clarity I have always just run my game at a lower resolution because I preferred frames over visual clarity. But the fact that this limitation was not made clear in the developer updates themselves is slightly worrying to me. Why is this information only in the comments and not clearly stated in the update? Playing vrchat at 15-30 fps (even with a low resolution), then jumping into a game that supports the “modding” version of FSR and getting decent frames for once with nice graphics doesn’t feel that good for us lower spec VR users.

When AMD makes a variable rate super sampling feature that works with VR they can implement it. They shouldn’t be held back from making a feature people can use that would benefit the game just because other can’t. That’s like saying you shouldn’t let games use 4K as a resolution cause most people don’t own a 4K monitor.

As a content creator I really would like less collision. Nothing like having knocking over props and sets with your lens. It’s bad enough with the camera itself. I’ve knocked props off into the distance with my camera.

2 Likes

There shouldn’t be a lot of concern with the camera because everything you could do with that can already be done through OVR (peeking through walls without others knowing). I think cameras being able to go through walls would make making videos a lot easier, especially when the camera keyframing feature is back. It’d make it way easier to find a good camera spot and also be easier to navigate the world around you because there’s no depth perception on such a tiny 2D in-game screen

1 Like

stream camara for pc please

1 Like

Well, sorta. If you world lock the camera… walk 100m away, then local lock it… it’s range is MUCH MUCH higher for instance.

2 Likes