Developer Update - 16 August 2022

It’s like if you have read my feedback and you’re going to implement it, i appreciate it. There’s no however, but it would be amazing if you add an extra placement besides showing the text “in the middle”: on your right or left hand.

And it’s going to me CRAZY if you can make the displayed text grabbable or following your hand, i know you want to make it good and not very disruptive, but i think this could be nice. After 5 years playing this game i will finally have a direct way to communicate (i have been mute since the first day) so i appreciate all this.

As an extra foreseable feedback, i hope the chatbox placement depends on the person who is typing it, so i decide to make it show in front of me, and that choice doesn’t depend on the other people.

I am so happy to have the 8K camera resolution! I love love love it.

While you’re working on camera things, could it be possible to make the camera screen larger/adjustable?

Now that we have all of these pixels, when you’re taking a group picture of your friends it can be hard to make out some of the people in smaller avatars for pose/clipping purposes. If we could resize the camera screen and make it larger then we could make out the smaller details.

I would greatly appreciate it!

1 Like

Regardless if they’re “work-arounds” and there’s other solutions in the works; I still think they should be implemented.

Given the limits of Quest, Avatar Hider being enabled by default makes sense. “Poor” ranked avatars are disabled until you change the setting for it, I believe this falls under the same logic.

And I know many people would want a Safety setting for physics on avatars; I recall multiple cannys having been made.

The “Load Avatar” concept also has a place on PC; I keep my own Safety high and avatar download size around 25mb. I know I’d make use of this feature by loading the avatars of friends of my friends, without needing to bypass my safety. Basically; “I trust that loading your avatar won’t crash me, but I don’t trust you enough to let you have particles and shaders”

Honestly, I’d love a lot of new safety settings. I assume many of the settings that have been getting added lately that are “Friends, Everyone, and No-one” will become regular safety settings after the new menu arrives.

My main concern about avatar search is that you can find private avatars that have been ripped and reuploaded and made public, this way people can use avatars that doesn’t not have the rights to use.

In my case i have private avatars that have to stay private because they are my own VR identity, and a lot of content creators have had their avatars made public. There’s also the NSFW avatars which are the 20%+ of all vrchat avatars… I hope as well there’s a constant hunt to wipe and ban those avatars and people who use it.

So i hope there’s no public avatar search, there’s a lot of cons. If people want avatars they should go adventure avatar worlds.

I’m just gonna shamelessly plug this canny

1 Like

Hello! l
love the fact you guys are being so transparent about things, im mute, i do not speak because it makes me extremely uncomfortable, i feel like the chatbox is too small, and it may be VERY easily missed, a way to make it stand out more could be great!

i don’t know if anyone else wants this, but i used to have a thing that let me create a frozen clone of people’s avatars on the local side, including myself, which i mainly used it for. it helped with seeing how my avatar looked to other people, and it also helped taking photos, from normal pics to absurd ones, such as holding myself, let alone comparing and contrasting settings.

Some ideas I’ve been wanting. since yall put a eac why not put a avatar search
for you not to go world after world spending hours hoping just to find a avatar your looking for. And a good anti-crash for quest players cuz most of the players are quest user.

Love these updates. Will there be plans to do these weekly going forward into the future? I’d love for this communication to keep going.

1 Like

I know this has been a big topic since EAC and has been reported a lot, but it affects a lot of my friends. Some graphics cards are getting recognized as mod by EAC and they really have issues getting in VRC. Being basically told to buy a new $500+ hardware has them pissed. Is there anything new on that issue since this happens ONLY with VRCs EAC. Other games that use EAC don’t have this issue. It really would be good if this gets fixed soon and not treated with silence. I really want my friends who have this issue to be able to play again without needing to try for an hour to get the right instance where it works.

Hopefully getting a helpful response on this…

Ps: I am only playing the messenger, my friends would have used other words in their anger, which is understandable.

When you drop a portal you have option of making it friends+ instance and allowing anyone to join, so if you’re already in a group you can keep it going. Only the initial gathering requires chaining.

You can have world creators set maximum or minimum limits, but you need to make so that animations can change both the mesh size and the bone/world scale.

It can be used on fun animations like turning into the hulk, as well as just the normal rescaling down to talk to small people or up to talk to big people.

It’s hard to decrease the restrictions on a system with limits that are already far too lax. The Quest 2 just wasn’t built to handle the unoptimized user content that VRChat and other creative platforms allow. Even with the performance features that the VRChat team has been working on, the limits set are already well below where they should be. There just isn’t any more leeway that can be squeezed in for Quest avatars.

1 Like

Users who have your chatbox hidden will be able to see an activity indicator when you type, so it isn’t totally invisible.

I feel like this still cancels out the purpose of the chatbox. I’m gonna be heard only by people who bother to show my messages or even know how to do that. This isn’t helping much

That’s because those systems would log any public avatar that the user was in proximity of and would add that ID to a central database. Any search system that VRChat implements will require changing the way that we upload avatars altogether. I personally believe that it’ll most likely be an opt-in system; the avatar author will have to manually set the avatar to be searchable. This will allow avatar worlds to still be viable, and will also satisfy those who don’t want their public models to be spread around quite as widely (i.e, those who upload an avatar publicly to share with just their friends).

I have not heard of this issue reported before. Regardless, your friends can get help our support team.

3 Likes

I briefly summarized details on this here. I’ve spent time myself dealing with native transparency passthrough, but it is just not designed for this purpose. There may be a way to apply custom data to pixels when everything but a single layer (avatar layer) is culled, allowing to pass through alpha data while keeping the depth of overdrawn materials using scripting methods rather than shader hacks, but i’m not sure.

The issue i see is how we are getting cherry-picked key features, and glossing over a lot of little changes that benefitted people more than one would generally think…

There is so many little things that mods fixed that made things a lot better. Like:

• a bigger mic button in the quick menu
    (also being able to toggle mute with the trigger of the controller used to open the quick menu would be very practical)
  • removing those obnoxious dotted lines when you highlight a pickup object.
  • The mic indicator made invisible when not talking was also very nice (also disabling that blinking fade effect on it).
  • Unlocking the head rotation for half body
  • and being able to immobilize my feet (without having to open a fat menu or requiring or specific avatar).
  • An emergency respawn or go-home button in the Action Menu (saved me so many times when far off in wiggle land or just moving very fast where the quick menu is unusable)
  • Also the ability drop a portal from an invite (if legal) was very useful, especially when using website or third party tools to self-invite to certain places or instances that already have people in them. This should be safer now with the revamped portal/instance system.
  • I personally used a mod that disabled the Performance Stats system, which causes additional lag on avatar loading to scan for it’s values (i couldn’t care less what that system says, because more than half the time the actual performance issues with an avatar are not proportional to it’s stats, such as undefined bugs or overuse of bad shaders).
  • A clean menu-side floating list of all players in the instance, showing their ping and fps, as well as what platform they are on, and selectability of each user, for quick at-a-glance information of who is present and so on. (The here tab is too messy and out of the way and laggy as it loads everyone’s thumbnails, i still find people unaware it exists.)
  • Buttons to manually reload individual avatars.
  • Freely manually rotating playspace on any axis
  • Clock in the quick menu

. . . These were all were things i used constantly.

Features that i can see the need for advanced world creator permission systems:

• Ability to locally disable all chairs or pickup objects (this is probably what people complained about when they said x world not working, because they forgot chairs were disabled, easily solution is making it only disable them until you rejoin or leave)
  • ESP highlighting or drawing lines towards where other players are (immensely beneficial in very large worlds, as it can take ages to find people if they don’t just happen to have avatars with big effects/lasers and notice you joined)
  • Debug systems like highlighting triggers and pickups
    Which actually leads me to consider a massive loss to tools that greatly helped debugging (i used it all the time to debug worlds and avatars), that being tools like UnityExplorer, which lets you look at and dig through and locally manipulate the entire hierarchy of the scene of the world you are in. I have many times helped people find issues with their avatars using this tool. Because it uses an injector, it’s not available anymore and i can no longer help people easily.

Why? Limiting it doesn’t make any sense, someone can just switch into a giant avatar without the world creator being able to do anything about it. Being able to scale your current avatar makes zero difference.

2 Likes

About the Main Menu Revamp, a thing I remembered from that Dev stream was unique nameplates. Will that still be a thing in the future or are our current nameplates the standard?

Thank you!

This is awesome!
Finally VRChat will be cool with quality-of-life features and smooth visuals without mods!
Can’t wait for this big update, I’ll use all those things pretty much every time I’ll be online.

Please keep up qith the good work. I’d like a live release soon!

404 - world category not found
400 world slots are still not enough for the world explorer