Developer Update - 10 November 2022

We’re unfortunately waiting on Valve to resolve some crash fixes for Steam Audio so we’re kinda stuck on ValveTime™ currently. :pensive:

4 Likes

That Texture2D announcement might actually save me. Since I am planning to do something similar to making on-the-fly in-world profile pictures (similar to how other worlds do it), but I could not figure out how they did it. And when I attempted to make it, Texture2D was not exposed in udon at the time. This, however, would be perfect. As long as there is a way where I can transfer the image/texture/picture from one texture to another in some way (even if I have to create temporary textures to do this), then it will be perfect.

Don’t forget to expose the constructor CustomRenderTexture aswell, and ComputeShader would be nice too if possible

No news right now, no current replacement, but we know this is a big deal.

long long awaited…

Nice! Any updates on VRS?

you seem you plan to do this the hard way to try your best Well I hope your Teams VR Chat is doing the best the way to do. :+1:

One way to do this is to use a vrc video player that loads just long enough at the beginning of a world to display a single frame, then disables. You capture it on a render texture, and then display it.
There’s a few prefab implementaions i’ve seen (I usually just do it manually), but here’s a community supported calendar one:

One other thing you can do is use google GAS scripts to create a public drive link that is self updating to a psudo video with just a few frames. This is a little trickier and requres knowhow for GAS, If this is something people want enough I can release a prefab and maybe a google collab you can clone into your account to do it.

There’s other ways using ffmpeg cron jobs to update videos on a simple self hosted server or free hosting with google, etc. We can jam on it sometime if you want split!

1 Like

Ik you say the toxicity discussion will continue with a future update, but can I just note that I think it would be incredibly helpful to list the number of blocked (in either direction) players who are in the instance with you?
Not being able to know this without doing the maths based on the entire lobby leaves individuals who aren’t fond of blocking open to harassment that their friends might not be able to recognise because they HAVE blocked an individual.

It gets a bit ‘Black Mirror’-esque having the potential for entire distinct groups of people in the same world who have blocked each other and it just seems like an easy thing to implement…?

We really need the ability to record a drone moment in world and repeat it. Drone really also needs to work in portrait mode. The camera is really nerfed for video production at an avatar level. There are a bunch of us that are producing content on this platform and I really hope the dev team listens. Lots of TikTok content and elsewhere.

2 Likes

Piling on to the video recording discussion which I know is still super early…

Udon already has the ability to retrieve Bone positions and Bone rotations, but will there be a way to retrieve vismemes movement? Like to see the shape of ones mouth as they speak?

Quoting myself.

ToxMod:
-Keeps timestamps of when the violation happened
-Knows who made the violation (your username or user ID)
-Which session it happened in (even providing a session ID)
-Transcribes what you said that triggered it to report you (highlighted in red or yellow)
-Records a clip of your offenses, with moderators being able to check the previous minute or the next minute
-Gives you a score based on how bad the violation was
-Knows which type of offense category you fall into
-Has signals that can be triggered by your offense

In its dashboard:
-It keeps specific time periods
-Said time periods can display data about the # of offenses detected, sessions with offenses, actioned offenses, dismissed offenses
-In terms of 24 hour periods, it can keep track of new offenses and sessions with offenses, active and disruptive users and new moderator actions
-It can detect what the most common offense is, keep track of avg offense response time and offense action/detection %

Cannot wait to see further dev updates, crossing fingers for news on implementing quest pro compatible features for eye and face tracking
:pray:

i know what it does, thats why i call it toxic, horrible for privacy, and knowing stupid vrchat logic they will implement something like that for friends+ instances too and you wont be able to play without hiding in private.

I’m hopeful that it costs more to monitor even friends+ and the cost different helps VRChat do the right thing. Unrelated, I actually kicked someone from a friends+ instance last night. Worked perfectly.

Just want to say i think you guys are crazy and works i Cant say here for actually wanting sdk2 avatars to be fed. I sure hope my old Avis that i payed money for will keep working. Othervise its just more bs just like physbones

“knowing stupid vrchat logic they will implement something like that for friends+ instances too”

From a business POV, do you think monitoring public instances makes more sense for the moderation team, or are Friends+ instances more of a problem?

If you look at these posters on loging screen and other communication from vrchat team when they say “public” it usually means “public and friends+” like they actually state this

Public worlds == public and friends+

and the link you added… does not say anything good about it. Randomly decides to send data if it thinks its bad, as well no way to check without sending it and can be included in training data. Just horrible for privacy

Better solution: Have people be able to apply, and then have users vote on the people that applied. This can let you have a better representation of the communities and users that have an actual impact on VRChat, especially those that actually want to attend the NYE event.

At the very least, I think a default permission for worlds to record should be asked on each world join. It is a bit weird to me that there’s a lot of features that are missing from VRChat (even just a clock for god’s sake), but this feature is already being tested without concerns over privacy and safety.

@codel1417 @VoicesShiature
Just gonna leave this here, and hope that VRC doesn’t implement it.

This image is back from April 2022. It has since then been removed from the modulateai website.

In this case, it would take the voice audio from VRC instances (no idea if this would be public-only or all) and run it through an AI to determine moderation actions. I also believe the audio clips are stored temporarily for a human to listen, in cases where the AI found a match.

You could host the video on a server rather than YouTube. I mean, LS Media exists on VRC, so I don’t think you guys would have an issue with sharing your NYE VOD, lol.

Oh yeah, once again I am asking for persistent dynamic near-clip settings in VRChat pretty please, with sugar on top.

Also, please add a clock. This response was hilariously bad. How does a clock have a negative effect on social experiences?

2 Likes

I would recommend against using that as a reason for anything