Developer Update - 10 August 2022

I think people just want to know their feedback was heard, Setting canny status, responding if its something that might be added to the roadmap. Like me pushing for a total post processing toggle (including tonemapping/grading), which I will continue to do until I have a newer response to it.

13 Likes

User count used to be shown on home page. Now only the number of friends in a specific instance is shown. It provides almost no information: most of the instance show a friend count of one, they all look the same.

5 Likes

i’m loving the look of the new chat box stuff! i wonder if there will be improvements to the keyboard, as typing with the current main menu keyboard can feel somewhat clunky at times, especially with the fact it has no haptic feedback.

Appreciate the hardwork but you know, VRC could’ve postponed the Security Update in the first place so we could give you time to implement these.

And yes, people are impatient and VRC should’ve seen that coming. Anyway, I still hope all these updates will come very very soon

3 Likes

Absolute massive win for desktop players! The funny thing is I was mentioning a Desktop camera in the last two update posts, AND I AM HYPED to have it added! so excited

2 Likes

I offered some feedback for this in a forum post back when it was simply “Hide Avatar by ID” regarding being overridden by “Show Avatar”. Please consider giving it a look over!

Yes, that’s true. It’s just… a lot of feedback, and a lot of it gets repeated even though we make a statement somewhere. Part of the issue is that we allow people to submit feedback in a lot of ways, so there’s no central location to look and see if your suggestion has already been made and noted as “yep, we saw this, interesting idea”.

We talked about a version of this a few updates ago, it’s still in dev.

1 Like

Yep, we wanna redo the keyboard eventually.

6 Likes

I thought that was just bloom and other sliders? I’m talking about a blanket toggle for the entire Post processing stack

still would be nice if scalable avatars would be added back now that its no longer possible thanks to EAC, already was a feature in the AV3 beta builds but was chopped from the Release candidate.

3 Likes

I saw your post and we got your feedback! It was considered, but there’s a lot of hang-ups-- mainly that we don’t expect the majority of users to have so many showAvatar moderations. :sweat_smile: (Data supports this, for what its worth)

Show Avatar is meant to be a “screw it, show this avatar no matter what” button. Making any particular feature override Show Avatar gets confusing, because now you start getting into cyclical checks of “where did I hide this avatar? Why isn’t this showing?” that most users wouldn’t be able to detangle.

I think I know the answer to if it has a full post-processing stack disable option but I need to confirm it before saying it does or does not.

Definitely heard you and the many others stating that you’d like avatar scaling! As we noted in this Dev Update, we don’t have any info on what we’ll do with that feature request just yet.

2 Likes

Thank y’all for acknowledging the suggestions people have been making. Even if you aren’t currently working on it, people like to know they’re heard. It can be hard to centralize communication with your community when information is posted in various locations. Maybe you guys could look at starting up some PR streams or weekly videos that talk about what’s going on, the concerns and suggestions y’all have seen from the community, and just address that they have been seen and are planned at the very least!

Nonetheless, thanks for the update and I’m looking forward to future updates!

2 Likes

Neat, Desktop camera! If only you can tilt it or some sort, or has another mode where you can grab it as an item in desktop…

Overall, can’t WAIT for the update!

2 Likes

nice to see that the feature is being consider again then unsure why it was chopped from the Release Candidate, it was a very nice feature to have and im sure its saved a lot of space in terms of data without people having to upload multiple avatar versions of different sizes when that can be accomplished by one avatar, a float and an animation. though I don’t understand what you mean by “we don’t have any info on what we’ll do with that feature request just yet”

Understandable… :weary:

We’ve heard this one too a lot. Our idealistic point of view is “wouldn’t it be nice if avatar authors set their viewpoints properly?” Of course, this doesn’t seem to be realistic (:sob:).

Not working on addressing the problem this request points out, but definitely heard.

That means that “We see you asking for this, and we know you’re asking for it, but we aren’t quite sure when, how, or if we’ll implement the feature yet.”

2 Likes

A good point was brought up to me though, why can’t ‘Hide Avatar Globally’ work similar to ‘Avatar Distance Hiding’ in that there’s a checkbox for "allow override with ‘showAvatar’?

@tupper
ffr (fixed foveated rendering)

• this is already implemented in the native version for the quest
  • I would really like to have the same function on the PC
  • even if it disabled all custom shaders
  • and it would add performance

If I have one rebuttal to this though, it’s that I kind of really need to use ‘showAvatar’ often as I am fairly strict with my custom safety and perf settings, even affecting friends as well and I’d rather not have to adjust that to account for the fact. :sweat_smile:

1 Like