Guide to VRC on Linux

First off i want to get something out of the way Experiences on Linux very on 3 things!

• OS Specifications
  • Physical Machine Specifications
  • Linux Compatibility Layer for windows (AKA Proton/ProtonGE)

My Specs

OS Type: 64-bit
Windowing system: X11
Gnome Version: 42.5
OS Boot: Physical

CPU: Core I7-8700K @ 3.70Hz x 12
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080
Installed RAM: 32GiB DDR4

How to VRC on Linux

First off if you are on any other distro Make sure you have all your drivers installed Like Graphics and what not POP comes with Nvidia drivers by Default so you should be good if you are on POP

You are problaby wondering why VRC says only available on windows Well we need to enable Proton for Non Native linux titles this is an easy set up follow these images you should be fine

And your done steam will prompt you to restart and you should be golden right well no

we need to see if vrchat Runs Smoothly Launch it and see if it runs smoothly see if the Multiplayer works connect to other worlds now there are 2 out comes

1. If you experienced horrible performance please consider your specs and if your specs are up to par Go to this Github it is GE Proton it is a project that aims to improve on the Base Proton layer provided by Valve
    GitHub - GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom: Compatibility tool for Steam Play based on Wine and additional components

2. if you ad no hick ups and everything worked fine we can move on to the next thing

Video Players
Now video players on linux isnt bread and butter some work some dont luckily for you i have found a video player that works under linux and this is a very Recognizable Usharp Video ill leave a link to the github for world creators

Nothing to serious here ive noticed sometimes avatars will just bug out just hide and unhide the persons avatar and you should be fine

Thats about it you should be set leave your comments with your personal expierence with linux and let anyone know of your solutions ofr the problems that you have

4 Likes

Everything has worked just fine in desktop mode me besides some worlds having music that won’t stop from the toggle. To fix this i just removed the audio source from my output with Helvum (Helvum | Flathub).

Also avatar audio clips don’t seem to work at the moment. Not your avatar sounds, the other players sounds.

I’m on Fedora 39, Gnome 45 under Wayland.

If you plan on playing VR Chat in VR under wayland i recommend KDE Plasma because it currently supports DRM Leasing and Gnome doesn’t.