Developer Update - 3 November 2022

Nice :+1:

I’m sorry if this has been mentioned before and/or in multiple places. But any word on Texture Memory (Vram) Limitations? Like hiding avatars over 200mb, or adding these into avatar rankings?
(Gotta love those green stat avatars with 600mb memory texture!)

3 Likes

Kung’s funky today

kungfu

5 Likes

Makes some sense logically, however i’ve never seen anyone use 4 point tracking yet. However i’ve seen plenty people use 5 point tracking.
Imo people just want to be able to move their legs first, be able to kick/dance, than to make weird hip movements or hump the air (lol)

And even when one of my trackers die with the 5 point setup, i just make the remaining one last controller stay on one of my legs.

It’s also a lot harder to mount a tracker to your hips, especially with DIY solutions. Mounting to shoes/crocs/your feet is much achievable DIY style, than modifying a belt to hold a tracker good.

Also, thanks for the quick reply and mentioning it to the team. ^^

Reminder that a lot of people initially just get a phone with owotrack as a faux hip tracker, which works fairly well, before they jump into vives etc.

The wrist position adjustment specifically helps out a friend of mine, thanks for getting that in.

weird thing is, i’ve never seen people do that regularly in the wild.

could be just me tho.

But yeah it makes sense.

My point is that current 5 point setups look weird, especially when not standing up. The hip just functions very weird as it just follows the avatars regular animation. This could be improved, as i can think up a lot of very easy methods that would perform a lot better than what the IK currently does.

Any update on handtracking for PC? This will probably the one thing all Quest/Quest Pro PC Users are waiting for… This has been possible via OpenXR for quite some time now - Oculus Runtime also has it integrated…

Any chance drone mode will be fixed in portrait mode?

Die hard is a christmas movie lol

1 Like

Am still amazed how Kung has been able to get the 11 pt working so well, glad to see settings that let you adjust things a little more. Looking forward to how this can help those who don’t have the most standard armature/setup. Settings regarding chest tracking would be nice, though I know it’s probably one of the more complicated things to work with.

Also happy to see acknowledgement of avi scaling again, hopefully cam animations and freezeframe are in similar situations.

If the poster doesn’t work out maybe a business card :slight_smile:

Graphics.Blit for avatars?? While it is helpful in worlds i see it having a lot of benefits on avatars as well - especially for optimizing certain things that are sometimes used.

I’m still wanting to hear if old SDKs will be blacklisted on the network-side or if they will just be unsupported. Being able to make worlds using the SDK methodology is critical for me, Udon is way too much for me to learn/handle, regardless of how many prefabs are made for it.

1 Like

Several little nice things as usual. And glad to see performance improvement being mentioned, though that should always be expected. It seems to me that the last big update has made performance a bit worse, I remember like a year ago when I had almost no lag anywhere but not it happens more often, makes me worry.

I’m wondering if the wrist adjustment helps with the elbow too, my elbows aren’t in the best places all the time. I’d like to improve that.

I’m hoping to be able to submit a video on my VRChat Japan Club.

Not yet, because the way we have to detect those numbers, by the time you know how much VRAM an avatar uses, its already gobbled it up.

We could make a hacky solution to work around this, but we have a better idea. It’ll just take a bit longer.

Counterpoint: I’ve seen several people use 4-point, and you’re the first person I’ve heard of using 5-point. :stuck_out_tongue:

That being said, it’s been noted!

Working on it, no news yet.

It’s broken? Do you have a Feedback post up?

Worlds was an easy sell. Avatars? That’s a whooooole lot of new crash methods we have to worry about!

We’ve talked about blit on avatars internally until our faces have turned blue for the past 3-4 years and our general attitude so far is “no, that’s probably not wise”.

Also, it’d only benefit PC users, Quest wouldn’t be able to utilize.

We have the ability to blacklist old SDKs, and may do so at some point. We’ll tell people beforehand if we plan to do so, and when we plan on doing so.

SDK2 in particular is a target for this eventually. It causes a lot of support and compatibility issues. The final stage of SDK2 deprecation is blocking uploads from it.

We’ve been over this in the past thread, though, so I don’t want this thread to turn into a repeat… :sweat_smile:

According to our analytics, average FPS did dip a little bit recently, but we’ve since boosted that back up.

Looking forward to it!!

1 Like

(This post is not one of being angry or frustrated, as the last few posts has been, as a heads up. Not this time.)

On the surface this sounds great, being able to find other people you get along with is unironically genuinely fantastic! And in general being able to painlessly filter out s###y people who are just there to be d###'s is nothing but a good thing.

But, the other side of that coin is creating a system of hug boxes and closed off groups of people you will never see in game because they’re squirreled away from public instances because they’re afraid to deal with new and unknown people, never forced out of their comfort zones or because of the one or two people who ruined being in publics for them. So in short, Twitter and Discord.

I myself would consistently be in public instances, very specifically because I play these kinds of games to meet new people and have interactions I would of never had otherwise. Just about all of the friends I have from/in VRChat I would have never met if I hadn’t “Dropped into the “pachinko machine” of public instances.” The encouragement should be to make public instances better, not side-step ever having to confront new and varied people.
If I had the option to just search up a group name and instantly skip ever being in a public lobby, and going direct to only interacting with like-minded individuals, I would not have made, just about any of the friends I did, who are all very different from the kind of crowd I probably would have seeked out directly on my own accord. And I’d like to think I’m a far more well rounded person because of it.
Many of those friends I met in public instances would eventually themselves become the types to squirrel away in private all-orange instances, never to interact with anyone new unless outright forced to, usually through me jumping between different such groups and being one of the few non-orange players on many people’s friends lists.

Absolutely improve the systems at play for removing people who are being obnoxious and are just there to try and s### up other people’s day for s###'s and giggles, but again, the functions of the game should be encouraging dropping into a instance of people you’ve never met, and knowing at the very least the instance populous are probably going to be a pretty solid group of people (Which, certain worlds have soft-been kinda doing that. You know what you’re getting into if you go to a ‘Furhub’ vs. “Virtual Furrence”), not diminishing that by discouraging users from intermingling.

That’s the pitfall of algorithms and matching systems to bring similar people together and only showing what people want, it closes people off from being introduced to new ideas and world outlooks. Having to go to public instances to meet people should be the antithesis to this for the better. Which unfortunately means, better ways of filtering the aforementioned d###'s being d###'s who are there to be d###'s.

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s a lot that could be done to improve 5point (feet only). Currently it’s just sitting in the state it was left in after the effort to add complete “any tracker anywhere” per-tracker IK. Which is as you mention, it just falls back to the underlying animation.

Small improvement could be made easily, and well received and more impactful improvement would be possible with more effort.

There are some other unrelated FBT things in the works that are ahead of that in priority at the moment though. One of which you should be hearing about pretty soon. And beyond that project, next up in priority for IK behavior polish is a more in depth improvement pass on the spine behavior. So 5pt hip might be sitting untouched for awhile, but in general everything we offer functionality for we’d like to improve if there’s room for improvement, and 5pt hip is one of those things.

4 Likes

I still find this argument silly. You can crash VRChat with pretty much any system that exists inside unity. Making it more difficult to marginally reduce it’s proliferation makes some sense, but others are impossible to prevent without sandboxed package sanity checks of some form. The easy solution would just be to have something that is default off and you have to opt-in to use it. Also, world creators can crash you with their worlds just the same as people can with avatars. There’s blocking features in place to prevent shader and particle etc crashing via safety settings, what makes Gaphics.Blit any different?

Depreciating SDK2 avatars to the point of blocking is justified but unnecessary. But for worlds, for the few people that still want to use it, should be allowed to work with it knowing full well what may or may not break and how to work around it. That is all i have to say.

1 Like

Will there be a video option on the game camera soon for the quest users?

• Appreciate the extra FBT options!