Developer Update - 28 April 2023

that’s actually rather sad to hear is the case, some of the best fun of vrchat is spending time with friends showing them things that are new to them, showing things that never were nor could be if not for vr. but good to know going forward

1 Like

I think that a dev update last year mentioned something about a new set of emojis, like one for low battery. Any news on that, or am I remembering incorrectly?

No updates or news on this.

Not sure how you can know that, what’s your metric?.. People i know that spend time in public worlds complain constantly about having to explain things all the time, and not just basics like avatar cloning, most people figure that one out before too long. It’s the more contextual settings that are buried in the gear tab or main settings.

I sort of agree with their comment on having to tell people how to exit guided mode to do anything outside of the oversimplified and limiting ui, on top of explaining the already complicated ui (which i’m sure you know is unpopular), adds another layer to things, and increases inconsistencies between user experiences which is socially dividing.

Having streamlined ui sounds great on paper, but really it’s the entire ui that should be optimized (i give that double meaning, it hurts the fps too), but if people start having completely different UI from eachother, it’s just going to cause a lot of confusion, especially so if it’s a very limited training-wheels UI.

An easier solution would just have a tutorial mode that overlays on top of the main menu with guides and tooltips, especially if you haven’t used a feature before, or just have like a tab for compact mode utility.
A more fancy solution would include automation, like if you switch into a publicly available avatar, have it detect that and ask “did you know you can share this avatar with others? here’s how!”, same if you are near a public avatar for the first time, just automatically being like “hey, you can clone that avatar, here’s how!”… first time someone sends you a friend request, have it pop up some tooltips on how to manage friends and join them etc.

You know you have a huge line of people that would come at almost no hesitation to help if there was any volunteer avenue to aid in development or design input (think github pull requests)…

And also, having a frequently updated detailed map, that shows current plans and what is being worked on, even if the direction changes a lot, as people have requested a lot before. So everyone knows what’s on hold, what’s being worked on, what’s been dropped, etc.

1 Like

Any word on infinite stretch being patched as part of the squish bones update, which ended up breaking a ton of user-created assets and prefabs? The behavior didn’t seem to have any discernible problematic effects (at least none communicated by the VRChat Team).

hfcRed on Twitter: “Infinite stretch bones got patched in the latest update. This tech has been around for over a year, used in countless assets and other tech, which are now broken. I hate to publicly post a canny, but here’s a link if you want to vote on it. https://t.co/31pyQg49As” / Twitter

This feels… hasty to call like that? I know my early VRChat days were mostly guided by friends who played it before, and I feel like a lot of players with higher retention rates are people who were guided by friends.

If you want higher retention for users who AREN’T being guided by other players, I feel like it would make sense to have a sort of “exit survey” for reasons why you’re disabling guided mode. Something like:

• I have a friend guiding me and don’t need it.
  • I’ve learned all I could from it and am ready to explore VRChat fully.
  • It was too confusing to understand.
  • It was too restricting/limiting to use.
  • Other (Fill-In)

That way, you can be sure you’re collecting good data, and not just making assumptions about your statistics. Having that exit survey would also help you adapt guided mode based on what’s needed.

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right! None of my posts have stated that feeling is incorrect.

Pretty good feedback! I’ll forward it along. I’ll note that some data is better than no data.

The Canny post appears to be tracked, so that’s a pretty good sign.

1 Like

Heya! I tried to get the role filtering out today but it couldn’t quite make it through the entire pipeline before we broke for the weekend. Expect it super duper early next week! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Any news about allowing physbones to world?

I am developing assets and tools for VRChat as OSS and have a question about whether I can host my project on GitHub.

It is about SerializedUdonPrograms that are generated when only the VRChat SDK is installed.
I cannot find anything in the VRChat Materials License Agreement (SDK License) about what license classification this asset falls under.
Can I include this SerializedUdonPrograms as a file to be hosted on GitHub?

That part in a video really looks like a progress towards one of the last updates we’re still missing from a dev-stream 2 years ago: separate cusomizable page in a main/quick menu for world settings or other player interactions with this specific world!
That brings a question - does it only looks like a progress and going to be for testing worlds only, or you guys actievly working towards “Udon-hooks”(as you called them back then) already? I would assume it’s time to bring that up since you are fully past UI phase 2(including several updates to discoverability) and started implementing proper localizations :technologist:

And on top of that, since we’re talking about last unfinished system connected to Menu update - is there any progress on custom UI skins and, what interests me even more considering recent popularity of shooter and "idle " gameworlds - is there any progress on player/world persistent? :male_detective:

Thank you for your time and consideration!

2 Likes

What does a basic hello world type object look like after it’s gone through serialization?

If the serialized object contains material copyrightable by VRChat I consider this a bug that needs fixing. Take dynamic bones as example, if you use dynamic bones in an avatar it references a particular GUID and some parameters.

Any chance of a future update setting the default for portal mode back to manual? After one of the recent releases, particularly the one that included the rework for the main menu settings, portal mode defaulted back to dropping in front of you, leaving a lot of people confused.

2 Likes

your saying the patchnotes are wrong?
"Squishy PhysBones features are on Version 1.1. "

https://feedback.vrchat.com/open-beta/p/sdk-320-beta1-max-squish-is-shown-in-the-physbone-10

Sounds like squishing is available with 1.0 physbones, but as the SDK and running versions are both beta, VRChat can either change the documentation, or the SDK…

These updates are likely to be helpful to the VRChat community, as they provide new tools and features for creators to enhance their avatars and environments, and improve the overall user experience.

Overall, these updates demonstrate VRChat’s commitment to constantly improving their platform and providing a better experience for their users.
I am always happy to see new stuff coming out, Keep up the fantastic work.

That’s actually super cool of you to be willing to lend a hand to newer users and help them figure out the game. I would have really liked something like that starting out!

Your feedback is valid. As much as we’d like new players to stick around with Guided Mode, we’ve designed it to be free-to-leave at any time. Measuring how many people stick with Guided Mode and how many do not is valuable information for us during this A/B test as well, so no hard feelings to those that feel like they’d like to get right to the proper menus. Having the ability to exit Guided Mode will allow you to manually guide new players as you do now.

After we’re done testing, we may or may not make Guided Mode a standard feature for all new users, but that’ll depend on how well it performs with the metrics we are measuring.

Besides, having a friend like you to show new players the ropes is always going to be a superior experience, but like Tupper mentioned, not a lot of new players are afforded that luxury. We hope for Guided Mode to help (mostly) solo new users find fun worlds and avatars quickly to encourage them to experience what makes VRC so awesome. As soon as they start looking for “more” in the game, they’re free to graduate from Guided Mode to the full UI!

1 Like

How does the guided mode pick out the worlds exactly? As a world creator I’m kinda concerned it might hurt world discovery quite a bit if it gets used by a lot of people

Nope, no news.

I think this is fine.

That stream is so out of date, haha. We learned a lot of lessons from that Dev Stream-- one of which is “don’t talk about stuff unless it’s about to come out” :melting_face:

So many things from that stream have changed since then. It’s hardly something worth needling through with a fine-toothed comb.

The big, overarching ideas? Oh yeah, sure.

Specifics of features? Not as much. Be careful what you pull from stuff that old.:smiling_face_with_tear:

Udon UI hooks into the world’s Udon and can take actions, output data, input data, etc.

Not at this time, no.

Yes, but not ready to talk about it yet.

This is definitely a bug. I will check on it. The Settings UI refresh mistakenly changed a bunch of defaults.

Yes, they are. I’ve since fixed them

Thank you breaker!

Fervid put this better than I did initially! We don’t want to dissuade users from helping others out and getting them into VRChat. That is the most effective method to retain new users.

However, the vast majority of new users don’t have that experience, so we need to ensure our design works best for those newbies all on their lonesome :sweat_smile:

Curated set of worlds selected for a variety of factors. We plan to shift that set over time, and nothing prevents us from changing it later on to include some sort of automatic selection. (that’s just not built yet)

We know Guided Mode will affect world discovery, especially regarding lower-population and lower-popularity worlds that still deserve attention. We’re considering that when defining our parameters for curating those worlds.

1 Like

ah, I was hoping it was more on the lines of the vrcat’s variety box. Maybe it’s possible to present a few choices for worlds, and then pick how many people the user wants? The main thing I’ve seen new people get stuck on when joining worlds is all the buttons on the world page, not selecting the world itself