Developer Update - 22 September 2022

You think they care about accessibility or convenience? They only care about their own issues or pretend to care about others. Take the visual accessibility features for example. A broken fov limiter, half baked color filtering with a dev team that thinks gamma and brightness are the same. Sadly until they realize not everyone cares to have the same eXPeRIEncE the world author wanted none of these features will be added or improved

We’ve definitely read and understand all the feedback that you have given so far. We are taking it all into account, and may make changes in order to alleviate some of the problems that you are describing.

In some cases, we may make decisions that are not in line with feedback that you give, or we may choose not to implement delivered feedback. We will not always decide to implement something, and if we do, it may not be in the way and shape that people ask for it. There are multitudes of reasons for this!

aside: (click to expand)

A lot of the time, however, we will simply implement what people ask for, or consider it while we are designing and implementing features. But not always. Providing feedback is not a guarantee of something being implemented or changed!

In this particular case, it is primarily out of a worry of breaking content. This worry is legitimate, tested, and proven to be a problem, but there may be other ways to work around it. It isn’t a high priority since it is a relatively niche, enthusiast setting that not too many people use, but it is being considered, because those users interested are also highly engaged.

However, when discussions devolve to the point of name-calling and stating that the development team is incompetent, it makes it a lot more difficult for me to reply in a constructive manner. I hope that makes sense?

You might feel very strongly about this particular feedback-- which is fine!-- but delivering it in that manner is not useful for anyone here.

TLDR? Let’s keep it civil, please!

2 Likes

so if it’s a enthusiast setting that not many people use what is the problem with making it save exactly? I dont think any ‘‘enthusiast’’ that uses this setting wants it to reset every god damn time atleast I have not met a single person who does.
and since it’s a ‘‘enthusiast’’ problem I think people will be able to manage to turn it off when it breaks, vrchat being broken is nothing new and people adapt but to intentionally make vrchat more tedious to use is just crazy to me.

Purely in the vein of keeping it constructive, two data points:

• This kitten regularly does public worldhops to show new peeps the magic of headpats. Populated publics generally have their nearclip set badly (eg black cat). Unless kitten patiently explains to them to go to their settings menu, and turn off both “comfort zone”, and turn on nearclip settings, people don’t get what headpats are all about. Once explained, they go all “oooooh, this is magical”. With the new settings hidden deep in the menu, it is excruciatingly difficult to explain why this is a thing, and what this thing is.

• Friends who like to be comfy, are now regularly defaulting to just go to comfy worlds with well-configured nearclip settings, because it’s easier than having all of them having to mess with the menu. This is as compared to pre-EAC whereby we used to go visit other new worlds as well, knowing that it’s possible to be comfy anywhere.

For these reason, I strongly suspect the casuality not going “long-term engaged user” → “wants nearclip settings”, but rather “have experienced / want more headpats” → “long-term engaged user”. The current UX puts a heavy roadblock in the very thing we both want (for vrchat to succeed). For these reasons, I strongly suggest coming up with a different way to tackle the support / content issue.

Thank you.

As noted previously in my post, the feedback’s been received and we’re looking at ways to best address the illustrated problem. In short, what needs to happen is happening.

I do think that hinging VRChat’s continued success on the persistence of a custom Near Clip setting and headpats is a leeeeeeetle hyperbolic, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well, maybe not the headpats. those are pretty important. but I don’t use nearclip personally and i get plenty of headpats fine! then again, my avatar isn’t 4 inches tall :thinking:

We’ve been over this a few times ITT and in previous threads, but basically people (especially newer users) loooove slamming buttons and settings without thinking about what they’re doing, and very often forget about what they’ve set later.

We’ll try to find a way to a happy medium, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.