Developer Update - 20 October 2022

I don’t see the point in necessitating yet another step/tool for the process of doing vrc sdk management, AND it requiring you to actively migrate your project. Why does it need to change your project.

I’ve tried discussing VCC familiar with advanced developer/users and not been able to get any sort of satisfying responses. This feels like a large case of reinventing the wheel which will make years of tutorials obsolete unnecessarily. Most things i’ve had described to me that VCC can do – existing video/written stuff by VRChat themselves fails to give adequate explanation why anyone should want or care about this new sdk thing – i am left only confused and baffled due to everything i’ve heard of being not particularly difficult to do without needing entire external applications.

Stuff like having a backup function is nice for the uninitiated, but for more knowledgeable users like myself, i already use task scheduled robocopy for this which is infinitely better and more efficient than any other backup software.

Auto updating doesn’t need a completely separate program, i’ve already seen and used sdk addons that include 1-click downloading of common tools and sdk updates from within the unity editor.

Adding complications and confusions to the process of getting started in developing avatars, worlds, etc, is not good for creators that are trying to get and stay familiar with methods of doing things that everybody knows. Even the transition from 2.0 avatars to 3.0 avatars, we’ve had well over a year, where people could still use the old just fine until they managed to get the hang of the new system. . . . We need perceivable simplification in the actual steps required for things.
ps: this includes the new 2.0 menu, it needs reduction in the visual clutter and steps required to do everything, it’s not newbie friendly, burying stuff to avoid people accidentally pressing stuff isn’t the answer, it just makes everything more difficult.

3 Likes

Any word of if the VCC is coming to Linux? From what I understand the command line of it is functional in Linux, but if usage of VCC is going to be mandatory, I would like to see full Linux support as well

6 Likes

While the command line itself works on linux it has in the past had broken dependencies and not been a smooth integration, to the point where even after trying for a bit I couldn’t get a valid project out of it. It honestly seems like it’d be a great tool if I could use it reliably.

These tools updates look great and should make it easier to pull out a mirror when I need one quickly. Thanks Devs!

But I do want to ask you to please let us search both our own avatars (I have over 300 and it’s a pain to go scrolling for specific ones) and a search bar for finding public avatars. If I know the name and creator of the avatar I’m looking for and it’s public I should be allowed to find it quickly and easily without trying to figure out if it is in a random world somewhere. We can search worlds so why not avatars?

This is a very highly requested feature that I hear a lot of people talk about in game. I strongly feel that it should be prioritized.

1. Current FSR progress?
  2. We should be able to use the radial menu while the camera is active.
  3. I find myself accidentally taking pictures while adjusting the camera up and down. Can you please find a way around this?

Tupper talks a bit about that in the previous dev update: Developer Update - 6 October 2022 - #85 by tupper

There’s currently rumors spreading around stating that vrc is removing the private feature on avatars? Is it true or is it bogus?

With smaller features slowing down a little and developers moving back to longer term features, is there a list of what is in the works or planned? It’s sometimes a bit hard to keep track and you then wonder ‘What happened with X?’, for example there hasn’t been any Avatar Dynamics update in some time, PhysBones still aren’t available for worlds for example.

The other thing, will we get more tutorial videos? Docs are fine, but a video is always easier to follow. You already had some for uploading avatars, so why not expand. VCC seems to be very important, so a video introducing and explaining it would be nice.

2 Likes

I used to be able to run dancing animations from the circular hub (I’m in desktop) and then open my menu to send invites, look at who is in the room, change safety settings ect. while still dancing. Now if I open the menu the dancing animation stops. Do we know what is causing that and can we go back to not having animations interrupted by opening the menu please.

Ok so i’m trying to make my first avatar for VRC i only managed to import my Garu model from Blender to Unity and already have the SDK3 for it, i din’t do that much cuz i’m new on Unity, but if is to keep everything ok (which i can say yes) i’ll migrate my project to VCC as soon as possible, thanks for advicing about this situation with the SDK currently

TBH idk, i never knew about it, where do you hear that?

To be fair, I understand the appeal for a native third person view for desktop. The community made ones that simply overrender your view with a camera is less than ideal tbh.

That is completely false yes. Just another baseless rumour. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

What do you mean? You’re able to move the new menu. Look for the lock icon in the lower right corner of the main menu, as well as responsive menu in the settings.

Thank god is false :smiley:

Ah I meant to comment on this in the main post.

The engineers investigating implementing AMD FSR have stated that, due to technical issues previously discussed in Dev Updates, FSR is on indefinite hold. We do not plan on pursuing it further at this time.

The last update I received, we were still investigating nVidia’s foviated rendering solution, but that’s also stalled somewhat due to other higher priority projects taking precedence.

The logic of how packages work is not going to change, that internal mechanism is stable and you can start making packages now, it’s just the GUI framework that’s going to be changing.

If you take some time to read in to the docs and try making a simple package you’ll see why it’s rather useful for those who are tool makers and creators. I keep running in to major avatar builders for example who somehow never heard of lyuma/Av3Emulator for example that saves tons of time making avatars. Exposing all the best tools to all new creators will help remove a lot of the pain of learning every layer of Unity to get something basic working.
For those just focused on avatars and world building, this can slot into a workflow just fine, makes sure you always keep your avatars up to date rather than having them languish on old SDKs where if the self-update goes wrong, could leave the project in a broken state, and make it easier to distribute your creations without having to provide as complicated readme’s about making sure all various dependent third-party packages are installed and all that other stuff.

We Pimax users were suddenly kicked away from the FFR/DFR feature that we were using out of necessity, and the last status report was on July 30th.
Both the Quest2Pro and the Pimax 12K are on the verge of launch, they are very high resorution, but it’s very uncomfortable to keep without this feature.

我々Pimaxユーザーは、必要に迫られて使用していたFFR/DFRを突然取り上げられ、最後の状況報告は7月30日です。
Quest2ProもPimax 12Kも発売は目の前に迫っており、どちらも非常に高解像度ですが、この機能を取り上げられたままでいるのは快適さを非常に損ないます。

1 Like

I agree.

The old mod for the mirror had an option for it to be in the QM. My controllers have bad analog sticks, which is a common point of failure in controllers. It takes even longer for me to access tools due to having to struggle through action menu navigation which depends on having functional analog sticks. Having it in QM relies only on having VR tracking and a way to click in the menu. You can pick things directly via this method rather than mispicking because your stick was just a little off.