Developer Update - 2 March 2023

loving seeing that eye tracking is coming this way soon :3

i understand there will be an sdk update for adding winking/independent eye blinks, as someone who uses the extra tracking extensively and contributes to VRCFT that will be supplying data over OSC, i hope that there will be a way to prioritize some parameters for the faster IK sync for face/expression tracking as well

also while the current eye look system works great for bone transformations and some blendshapes, i hope there will be consideration for blendshapes for all directions as part of eye look. the common case now is using animation clips for bone transforms and for blendshapes to get a combined look, and it’d be a real shame if the faster synced new system can’t replicate that

keep up the good work!

1 Like

can we prioritize friends first and not small size avatars first ?

3 Likes

I assume this is also a decision made with future user base in mind. Quest 3 potentially has eye tracking, future other headsets as well. I don’t think I agree with the choice personally, I think it would be better for the stability and longevity of their platform if they focused on their core userbase first, but I understand why the choice was made.

Is there information available on the different Execution orders of VRC components? I had to use trial and error to find out which DefaultExecutionOrder to use to have my code execute before or after certain VRC components. I was especially thinking of UI related code. The VRC UI is for example updating before the player is moved making it jitter all over the place when the player is moving rapidly. Mine is rock solid with the order values I found.

Size will always be on, but the last thing considered - you can configure near distance, prioritize friends first, and prioritize manually shown.
So for example if you have friends and near distance configured, it’ll go:

• nearby friends, smallest size to largest size
  • nearby everyone, smallest to largest
  • distant friends, same as above
  • distant everyone, same as above.

Why distance before friends? We’re optimizing for ‘most avatars seen as quickly as possible’, so your friend on the other side of the map won’t matter until you get close. Fear not though as the priorities are constantly reevaluated, so if you start walking around and get close to your friend (and you aren’t already downloading another smaller nearby friend) they’ll start right away, in parallel with the existing download.

3 Likes

i just want the game be optimize :cry: tried open menu to have major frame drop!

1 Like

Is Download Prioritization an option? that we can toggle on/off?
Can we get a test with a graph for downloading avatars with fast internet like 1Gbps? To ensure there is no regression in this case? As im still worried that new way will be actually more limiting

1 Like

Gonna bring that up, thanks :slight_smile:

im out of train what is “Web Creator Companion” and what about current vcc

The camera sound is tied to the UI/HUD slider you will find under the main menu sound options.
Hope that helps.
The pin thing is annoying though, and will probably generate you a few unwanted pictures! Will look into solving that.

Thank you for the reply, I switch between pins alot. Good to see I was wrong audio camera audio being tied to world slider.

How would you know if the person who is being reported is actually using clients and not just OVR?
Since I had been accused of hacking for simply levitating above the ground (in some cases even being kicked out of the lobby).

1 Like

Btw you know how the arrow buttons on the Camera used to skip over the Focus settings, which was fixed a few weeks back?
Yeah that is back, it skips over the Focus setting again xD

1 Like

VRC uses OSC endpoints for these things, so when VRCFaceTracking (third party, open source, tool) updates you just need it, and the Pimax plugin, to make this better eye tracking work (note, you’ve been able to do this since the OSC update early last year, but the eye tracking was just a bit stuttery and not very responsive for others).

Just saying, but don’t get your hopes up, leaks and Meta’s own words point to the Quest 3 lacking any eye tracking.

1 Like

Excellent news! I wonder, does this make all Ready Player Me avatars have eye tracking by default?? I’m going to have to try it when I get off work. Thanks!

From previous threads I know that specifics won’t be mentioned, but the Trust and Safety team will do the needful.

Any update on the mic selection bug from end of January dev blog

IE: “Fix on the way: The microphone selection bug where the client would use the wrong mic when starting in VR”

This is still occuring every time I start up vrchat in vr. Was just wondering if the fix was still on it’s way or not.

Is Download Prioritization an option? that we can toggle on/off?

It’s currently slated to be core functionality, with the toggles just being for the priority options (to keep things simple).

Can we get a test with a graph for downloading avatars with fast internet like 1Gbps? To ensure there is no regression in this case? As im still worried that new way will be actually more limiting

I’ve been primarily testing this on my faster connection! The only point where slower speed could creep in is between one download finishing and the next starting, which is less than a millisecond. Even on gigabit connections it should be noticeably (though, less than on 8mbit) improved, since everyone in the room you’re loading in comes first - and this time, not all at once, so your machine isn’t struggling to keep up. Generally speaking the only time parallel downloads will net you higher throughput is if the remote end has rate limited individual connections, which isn’t the case for our data host.

I did do one earlier A/B test with my full connection speed in a lobby of ~15 people, but everything happened too fast to really discern a difference.

3 Likes

Does this mean we might see more VRChat native parameters being available to make custom “fake” eye tracking set ups?

2 Likes