Developer Update - 15 December 2022

I remember earlier in the year when physbones was in beta, there was a ‘climbable’ component that didn’t seem to be functional and eventually disappeared once out of beta.

I had a feeling it might of been something being worked on for the world sdk that accidently got mixed into the avatar sdk.

Was that something being worked on to go with Udon2?
Or some new feature for the world sdk in general still being tinkered with?

can we have feature function that return the data when the player change their avatar?
Also the avatar mesh data. By this I mean the kind of way to store their uv, so we can make some kind of game that interact directly like chop off the part of their avatar in game world.

1 Like

Certainly a tricky balance for sure, cause the triggers didn’t allow for a whole lot of flexibility that opened up with Udon. But at the same time, it sure would be nice if there was some premade systems for plug in play for a lot of basic functionality that those of use non coders can tinker with.

Like they could even look to Playmaker for inspiration since it was what they were originally working on adding support for before they decided to make their own.

i’m really happy to see the updates VRC is going through. change is a little scary as usual, but i’m sure it’ll be alright in the long run.

little feature request: i’m hoping we can get a feature to have our saved photos be used as loading screens. or at least, show up in the loading screens so we can look back at good times we’ve made with our friends along the way.

4 Likes

Udon 2: Electric Boogaloo

4 Likes

Speaking of camera stuff linking straight to your computer, I’m not sure if this is even possible but i’ve been thinking about like for VRCLens, how awesome it would be if we could just skip the middleman (having vrchat camera out) and just save the images that vrclens sees straight to our computer. VRCLens is still loads better than the current cam and I use it all the time for photography, but it’s a pain having the huge fps loss with using 2 cameras at once. Maybe these new features could do this?

3 Likes

Do you have a ballpark on how much slower? In my emulator it runs along the lines of 30,000 times slower than normal C#. Will it now be, 10x slower, 100x slower, or 1000x slower?

1 Like

I bet no phase 3 release in 2023.

That’s egregiously worse than the estimate i usually hear (in the 600x range) - you sure your emulator is working right?

1 Like

It depends a lot on the use case, if your use case is 10’s of thousands of times slower than regular C# I can’t really provide any reasonable estimate since that’s far out of the ordinary from Udon’s current performance characteristics. I’d still expect it to run faster under Udon 2 in your case, but I couldn’t say how much.

In general it can be a few times faster or more. I’m sure you could find some case where you’re able to make it perform a bit slower due to needing to marshal a ton of data or something too frequently though.

2 Likes

Are you asking for a challeeeeeeeeeeeenge?!

5 Likes

When VRChat will come out of beta early access?

1 Like

When it’s done. :smiley:

4 Likes

There are already some udon based packages you can get that implements the old SDK2 style trigger functionality for people that would rather use that, so nobody is missing out fortunately.

2 Likes

The sneaky part is that you totally could do this unless VRC makes some serious efforts to prevent it. There is nothing really different from an HTTP request that you expect to return something, VS one that intend to save something. Just put the data you want to send as part of the url (either in the path itself or as search params) and your server can parse and save or do whatever you want with it. Technically data exfiltration is possible right now and worlds do it all the time if you have untrusted URLs on.

2 Likes

any word being able send variables through network events? From what I heard it was on a to-do list somewhere

1 Like

Question about the NYE world: Was there a reason you guys moved from a fairly realistic looking time square 2 years ago to the more cartoon-like look now? I enjoyed last years and this year looks great too but it was quite a jarring change from all the years prior. Just curious what lead to a seemingly sudden swap. Thanks!

2 Likes

The new camera features for worlds sound awesome. Hopefully they are able to encode video with alpha natively, I’ve been having trouble getting OBS to record alpha channel video from vrchat (even though it will ingest alpha just fine!)

1 Like

At least partly because we didn’t want to be in Times Square anymore, we wanted to be in something that could truthfully be called “VRChat Square”, a place of our own.

The previous model was just a representation of something IRL. That’s… not quite right. That isn’t what VRChat is about.

So instead, we made something new, unique, and properly suited to VRChat, instead of an archviz that we chopped down. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That makes sense! Like I said, I enjoy the new look, it was just a big shock when I first saw it lol. (Still wish I could easily search for those older worlds tho😭). Can’t wait to run around and check it out!

2 Likes