What should non-English native speakers be aware of when submitting to Creator Hub?

In the Feedback forum, if English was not the native language, the content in the native language before machine translation was also included at the same time.
(I’m not sure if I remember correctly, but I think I saw somewhere that if you do that, machine translation is not a problem…)

Has the policy changed for submissions to Creator Hub as well? In other words, in the case of machine translation, is it sufficient if the original text is also mentioned at the same time?

Translation: DeepL

====日本語原文====
Feedback forumでは英語が母国語ではない場合機械翻訳する前の母国語での内容も同時に記載していました。
(記憶が定かではないですが、そのようにすれば機械翻訳でも問題ないというのをどこかで見た覚えがあります。)

Creator Hubへの投稿についても方針は変わっていませんか?つまり機械翻訳の場合は原文も同時に記載すれば十分ですか?

翻訳:DeepL

I like seeing both, I don’t understand japanese, but if the MTL is bad (can be random) then someone can comment on it if it’s bad.

The language we prefer for the forum is English, so please use MTL. However, it is OK to post the original text too!

1 Like

What is MTL? Machine TransLation?
This is a word that the person who will read this, that is, a non-English speaker, could not understand.

Yeah, MTL is short form of Machine TransLation. Whoops. I’ve seen the term enough I thought it would machine translate.

1 Like

I’ll do my best to provide a detailed response for this.
(Cross cultural communication is currently something I’m looking in to)

To answer your question.

I personally do recommend to include the original text/intent of your question. There are other users here that also read your post. If things seriously derailed during the translation then they will chime in and provide you with feedback. Don’t be afraid of these situations!

The order is as far I can see not really important in short messages. But since English is the first language used, I would recommend to always start with English.

In terms of other things you should be aware of when submitting content to the Creator Hub:

Be aware of your own cultural background, and the culture of the target audience you are trying to adres.

Firstly,
Most readers on this form will most likely prefer a “Direct Communication”.

This means your submitted content (feedback/questions/proposals) should be constructed in short and precise sentences.

For example, in case of an issue with VRChat : Start with a simple explanation of the problem. If possible, point briefly to what you think is the issue. If possible, provide a solution or workaround. And for the remainder of the message you can start explaining the problem in detail.

(Benefit with this approach. Even if your detailed explanation gets mistranslated somewhere down the line, the short explanation should bring the message across.)

Second,
On this forum there is a culture of “Low Power Distance”.

This means that a response from VRChat is more likely to come from the person that is capable and available over that of the most suitable person in the organisation.

This also means that others are more likely to provide feedback publicly on things that didn’t go as expected.

Don’t be afraid to ask directly for clarification or additional information.

In general, be patient and don’t be afraid of these situations. See this is a learning opportunity.

— TL : DeepL —

これについては、詳細な回答ができるよう最善を尽くします。
(異文化コミュニケーションは、現在私が研究していることです)。

質問に答えます。

個人的には、質問の原文/意図を含めることをお勧めします。 あなたの投稿を読んでいる他のユーザーもいます。もし翻訳中に事態が深刻に脱線した場合、彼らはあなたに意見をくれるでしょう。このような状況を恐れないでください!

私の見る限り、短いメッセージでは順番はあまり重要ではありません。しかし、英語が最初に使われる言語なので、常に英語から始めることをお勧めします。

その他、Creator Hubにコンテンツを投稿する際に気をつけるべきことがあります:

あなた自身の文化的背景と、あなたが訴えようとしている対象読者の文化を意識してください。

まず第一に、
このフォームのほとんどの読者は、「Direct Communication」を好む可能性が高いです。

つまり、あなたの投稿内容(フィードバック/質問/提案)は、短く的確な文章で構成されるべきです。

例えば、VRChatに関する問題の場合:問題の簡単な説明から始めてください。可能であれば、何が問題だと思うかを簡潔に指摘してください。可能であれば、解決策や回避策を提示してください。そしてメッセージの残りの部分では、問題の詳細を説明することができます。

(この方法の利点。 詳細な説明がどこかで誤訳されたとしても、短い説明でメッセージが伝わるはずです)。

二つ目、
このフォーラムには「Low Power Distance」という文化がある。

つまり、VRChatからの返答は、組織内で最も適切な人よりも、有能で利用可能な人から来る可能性が高いということです。

これはまた、他の人が期待通りにいかなかったことについて公にフィードバックを提供する可能性が高いことを意味します。

説明や追加情報を直接求めることを恐れないでください。

一般的に、忍耐強く、このような状況を恐れないでください。これは学習の機会なのです。

4 Likes