Developer Update - 9 March 2023

Nice update, but shader fallbacks are still broken. Currently it only works with Toon, but none of the built-in shaders such as Standard, Standard Specular, and Autodesk interactive work, even with the Tags{“Queue”=“Geometry” “VRCFallback” added. Is there any chance we could get these shaders above added to the list of fallbacks. Here’s a canny, with the updated issues in the comment section.

tupper blink twice if they are finally adding group+ instances

1 Like

That’s a good idea! Please make a canny whenever you have the time! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve already seen a canny for that camera thing

say bye bye to any movie world that uses google drive i guess

for 99% of the movie worlds you need to allow untrusted URLs anyways, I doubt this will have any impact for the end user realistically

2 Likes

Thanks for the updates and the clear roadmap of what is being worked on.

Regarding the current openings, what is the expected turnaround time of applying and hearing back? I applied to a role back in November and still haven’t received anything other than the application confirmation.

I understand you guys probably are inundated with applications, so I just wanted to get a status update.

Group+ should really be added, it would be helpful for groups who perform events. I am currently part of an improv group and when we do shows it would be great to have it limited to group+, so it still shows up in the group tab but isn’t completely public.

1 Like

Can we have a Limit download by Vram size as we have with download size?
I know vram and download size goes hand in hand in most cases but I would prefer not to download a 200Mb+ vram avatar at all regardless of download size

2 Likes

Yes most def a bug and that’s why I wanted to bring it to the light of the devs so they get to work because this is very annoying… Thanks for trying to help! Appreciate it <3

Fix is on the way out, we’re aiming for a Friday patch to fix that issue as well as some others like the AudioLink issue.

Expect it within the next 4 hours.

Friday patches are always a little sketchy, but this one will be network-compatible. The impact to weekend events and activity will be too high for us to be comfortable with leaving it.

It seems like the constant add/remove of whitelisted URL’s and the new enhancements like string/image loading calls for attention on the Whitelisted URL’s, and user’s control.

Maybe to meet in the middle, we can be transparent of the requests to be made. Add a prompt to the end user stating that “This World is requesting permission to let your game send/receive content to and from http://xyz.com” and it would be whitelisted to that user individually. Any new URL’s not on the list will prompt another permission request.

It would Only apply to the domain name, and Subdomain only. Maybe prevent changing the domain/subdomain of the URL entirely. This can also allow the user to feel more confidence knowing that their “Untrusted URLs” is no longer a wildcard, but can consult a list to see which untrusted URL’s they’re permitting on their client.

With your upcoming “Udon” menu implementation, it could be considered to have VRChat built-in user preferences specific to the worlds, and include the whitelist there of URLs the World has requested to communicate with.

See post that I took this context from and explains more.

1 Like

I wasn’t able to find a canny for this. I Did stumble across a few request that VRAM be added to perf ratings.

I think in general the server doesn’t inspect avatars for performance data, just keeps track of download size.

If you find or file a feedback (canny) item for this please link it.

This is something we’ve wanted to do from the very start and will eventually do, but requires a good bit of engineering work that we have not had the bandwidth to do yet.

1 Like

Can we get that earmuff cone feature also for hide avatar by distance/amount?

This is very cool. In case anyone is wondering (correct me if I am wrong), similar to what Tupper said, this would easily enable the use of compute shaders. There are many types of calculations that can be done way faster on the GPU and then the data can be used by the CPU to do many different things. Here’s some examples:

This is really exciting and makes me want to get into shaders more. I was never really into just straight up shader development for graphics, but the idea of parallelizing a workload to compute it magnitudes faster sounds super fun.

Who knows? Perhaps some really common performance hogs in worlds could even be solved for all we know.

I am hopeful this can work it’s way down the pipeline soon. I do think in the long run, users being able to moderate their own experience with good moderation tools will do a lot. Mainly allowing users to really take full advantage of web requests to make great things. Being able to see and report URLs, as well as whitelist worlds or have more dynamic settings than just “whitelist - on/off”.

AsyncGPUReadback does not enable the use of compute shaders as defined by Unity, although you can do some more compute-heavy things in shader using AGPUR.

1 Like

Ah, I see. I didn’t realize it was a whole other API interface. I figured shaders were just shaders, but the more you know!

It wouldn’t really be necessary since that’s technically already accounted for in a technique called “frustum culling”.

Hire me in those job openings and I’ll help make it a reality :smiley: (No seriously I am putting together a resume since I saw the openings). I want to get out of enterprise development into game development since I have a passion for VR/VRChat and Udon/UdonSharp.