Developer Update - 9 March 2023

If you hide my amount it still counts the avatars behind you. “hide avatar by distance/amount” is not a render technique.

Yes, but avatars outside of your viewing frustum still get culled regardless, gaining you a bit of performance. It’d be a bit redundant to add something that is already being solved by something else.

Avatars you’re not watching won’t be drawn by GPU, sure. They are still probably updated by the CPU. But maybe that is similar because these location hidden avatars are still running animator?

1 Like

You have to check the save box in the parameter.

That is correct, yes. Hidden avatars still have their animators running contributing to overhead on your CPU.

Note: VRChat had a bug in regards to actually saving locally. Latest release fixes it.

The problem is not performance but only seeing 3 avatars in front of you despite having the amount showing set to 8 and thus it “shows” 5 avatars behind you. I wanna see 8 in front of me (if there are that many) not 8 around me.

And thus in other so the enough avatars in front of me, I need to increase the amount and then it because a performance issue.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a bunch of avatars using “Update when Offscreen” on skinned meshes as a workaround for bad bounding boxes, given that there’s a bounding box limitation I found it odd that this toggle is being ignored for avatar performance ranking, it severely reduces the instances at which the mesh would actually be culled when out of view.

3 Likes

Oh I understand now. Yeah, that I can totally get behind that change then.

2 Likes

This will require more users to check the “Allow Untrusted URLs”.
Why cannot you add *.github.io to the whitelists?

*.github.io is already whitelisted for images and strings.

That is correct.

It is not done for videos.

Perhaps a better idea? Allow users to create and manage their own whitelist and blacklist.

https://feedback.vrchat.com/feature-requests/p/custom-url-whitelist

I would also hope the groundwork on this feature would eventually allow for a more dynamic/less restricted string and image loader.

1 Like

What sort of video are you going to host there? Poster type stuff can now be remote image, but maybe animated poster cooler?

The problem is that images were just finally implemented and the whitelist was reduced without notice.
First of all, the resolution limit for images is one-fourth that of videos, which means that significant modifications are required on both the distribution and asset side, not simply replacing videos with images.
A bigger problem is that each existing world requires the author to replace and upload the asset.
For my assets, users load GitHub first and fall back to Google Drive when get an Untrusted URL error. For assets with a similar system, they should be able to mitigate the problem by adding URLs allowed for images to videos as well.

I do not see why the GitHub URL is not on the whitelist, as it is allowed for images, and there are no privacy issues with IP address collection, redirection.

For videos, not posters, Quest users are forced to check “Allow Untrusted URLs.”

How is the Portal UI rework going btw? Any updates on that?

Probably just not well known for videos, out of everyone using video players for things, maybe the posters are only use? Even with remote image there is certain amusement in throwing a single frame of video into a video player.

I once threw in a star trek styled error message and friends took it as the error from the video player. So uh make sure you have a canny about adding GitHub pages to the video whitelist.

Here is a Canny post requesting the addition of GitHub. (github.com is a mistake for github.io, though.)
https://feedback.vrchat.com/feature-requests/p/add-githubcom-into-video-player-whitelist
https://feedback.vrchat.com/open-beta/p/add-githubcom-into-video-player-whitelist