Developer Update - 9 February 2023

How syncable will JSON and the new data types be?

could we possible use json stuff to have a save system that works over the web, or have some sort of world persistence?

1 Like

Thank you so much for the Japanese support!

We sometimes witness problems with Japanese translations in other games.

Of course, strange translations are troubling, but what bothers me more is the loss of readability due to the use of non-Japanese fonts (e.g., Chinese fonts).

Here is a page that explains this problem.

1 Like

We have a few people on the team that speak and read Japanese, and can verify we are using the correct character set!

Don’t worry, the reason we chose Noto as the UI font family was partially to ensure we have the correct glyphs. We will check for this.

Thank you for reminding us!

4 Likes

Then why aren’t constraints taken into account for performance stats?

no vertical camera on desktop?

the grid in the camera looks too thick, usually it is barely noticeable in SLR cameras. in ui button sounds in the camera can not be turned off, I hope this will be the next fix

That’s a relief to hear.
I’ll be rooting for you.
Thanks a lot :smiling_face:

1 Like

I think this may be due to the render resolution for standalone. I could be wrong.

Using chroma-key at all seems a bit old-fashioned if you ask me.
LIV (the vtuber app) passes through RGBA to the desktop window somehow, so OBS just gets LIV’s native transparency, instead of needing chroma key.

Would be nice if VRC did the same.

Put together a canny post for it.

Some unity functions, like UI dropdowns, only accept lists as inputs. Is is possible to cheese in support for runtime editable dropdowns using the JSON system?

The initial release is going to be very specifically targeting just the data structures. Going beyond that would balloon the scope and make it difficult to release. This is exactly what happened to the previous list implementation!

Once it’s out in the wild, we can maybe consider making some wrapper functions that would perform the action you want but with a DataList instead of a native list. However that’d probably be a tough sell because the longer it takes, the closer it would get to just being replaced by udon 2, which would definitely be the more proper way to do it anyway.

How syncable will JSON and the new data types be?

The new data types won’t be syncable directly on launch, but that’s something that we definitely want to look into post-launch. In the meantime though, you can just serialize to json and then sync the json, because it’s just a string! It’s going to be a lot of wasted space because json takes a lot of characters, but it would be usable.

could we possible use json stuff to have a save system that works over the web, or have some sort of world persistence?

This feature will not directly include persistence, nor will it be required for persistence. Persistence will be it’s own thing, but the idea is that if a variable can sync then it can also persist, so if you want a generic key-value storage for your persistent data, then data dictionaries would be a pretty convenient thing to use, once they actually support syncing of course.

3 Likes

I spent this week making a whole system with an octree in a 15 dimentional jagged array to have a grid of blocks as a workaround for dictionaries not existing… Just for dictionaries to get released

Glad they’re finally coming, but damn that was bad timing for me lol

Probably already asked here in the past dev updates.
Who can know.
When will there be an update by groups?
Especially when they will give the opportunity to create open instances for everyone within the group.
(when any user can join a group instance, not just a person who is a member of the group)

1 Like

If a group instance is completely open, what is different from public? I suppose moderation abilities?

I’ve seen such things asked for. I don’t think there has been favorable response yet.

Moderation and the fact that you know what Group it belongs to. This would be really usefull for big open events. Basically Friends+ with Group Moderation is what most people want.

will there be an interface for udon to see what language someone has selected so world creators can have translations in their worlds?

So you can silently take photos, or so you don’t have to hear people take too many dang photos? The latter of the two makes sense to me. Is there a canny for it that I can upvote?

I can’t record a music event with the streamcam and switch between camera modes. The sound of the buttons gets into the recording. The camera shutter sound is just turned off in the ui sound settings, but the button presses are not. So I can’t set three static streamcam positions and switch between them silently for example.

2 Likes

We already send raw transparency if you use Alpha mask mode. That’s been a feature for three or so years now! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Haha whaat? Movies still use greenscreen.
I don’t know what that means but if it works easily in editing software then sure…