Developer Update - 9 February 2023

• Group Banners now use mipmaps, meaning they will no longer shimmer and have improved visual quality at a distance

Awww, no more static from the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee group banner.

5 Likes

I know, I’m kinda sad too. RIP eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

7 Likes

i take it constrains being more expensive than physics bones is why they’re not available on Quest

Initially, it was because we just hadn’t whitelisted it yet. However, before we added it, we discovered the performance issue. So that turned into the reason.

Quest is absurdly constrained on frametime as-is, and we have no wish to add more to that right now.

How about we make a SETTINGS BATTLE! Mini game where a world can override your chair override and also override your avatar chair so you can stop breaking triggers and out-of-bounds colliders with them.

It should take the form of having to interact with UI in a room full of chairs and pickups while holding Index controllers

1 Like

Any kind of camera updates are always a welcome addition. Is there ever going to be some kind of camera path mapping so we can set a path for the camera to follow rather than manually flying it in drone mode? It’s the one thing I’d love to see as I’m looking into video content creation.

would it kill you guys to add the option?

3 Likes

and I take it the quest 3 when it does come out you would want to have folks have higher performance not increase the Avatar limits again

Yes. We’d literally die.

We’ve seen this suggested a lot, and its a really cool idea. Some camera addons allow you to do this right now!

It’ll probably wait on a camera revamp, though. That isn’t “on the books” (I’ve used that phrase twice now… hum) right now, though.

“Sounds cool! We’ll get to it, eventually.” is appropriate.

I’ve seen some broken Udon with global teleports/triggers that was basically this

If a Quest 3 exists and is released, and theoretically has a handwavey 20% compute increase, I’d rather just give our current application breathing room than cram in more stuff.

I cannot overstate how much we (and users) push the XR2.

2 Likes

Wait there are add-ons for that already? Have I missed something because I haven’t seen any coverage on it, that’s my number one feature I’d love to see! What is it called?

I’m not sure, I’ve only heard about them, not looked for them myself. :S

Lists and Localizations are one of my top requests, good to see they’re finally in the game after 5 long years

2 Likes

:+1:Good Job Your Other VRChat Teams.

1 Like

Good work for localization, however, there are still a lot of users using Chinese. It will be better to add Chinese localization.
I think VRC can add a new module, which let users translate and check some unsure texts and submit it or vote it and the UI shows the most voted result.

4 Likes

I’m going to presume stringloading will be usable with the JSON parsing?
Are they releasing together, or apart from eachother?

this is interesting stuff…

Some unity functions, like UI dropdowns, only accept lists as inputs. Is is possible to cheese in support for runtime editable dropdowns using the JSON system?

Hoping for a bluescreen to be added soon on the camera, I would use it for my videos soon.

1 Like

Do you have any plans to implement a vertical screen mode in desktop mode camera and flying camera?
I would like this.

1 Like

Yes, they will be usable together because string loading just gives you a generic string and JSON parsing takes in a generic string. These two systems are not linked together, but they communicate in the same way.

Hoping to release together, but it’s possible that remote string loading will release first separately.

Do you have experience with services like crowdin or transifex? Personally I’m neutral on them, but maybe someone here has an opinion on what site works best for crowd sourcing translations.

The paragraph after the languages are listed mentions that they are going to crowd source translations in many languages, so I hope to see English variants like Aussie along side Chinese.