Developer Update - 30 March 2023

You’re too early for April Fools

that’s if development goes correctly and considering groups is still a vrcplus exclusive after so long I would assume 6months is the minimum for non vrcplus users to receive access to it.

1 Like

I’m concerned about the usage of ads in mobile games and how much of that would leak into normal VRChat. Is this something to be worried about? I wouldn’t want to boot into PC VRChat and see AFKLegends ads in my face…

Unity 2021.3 is exciting for numerous reasons, but id be curious to see how forward in unity we can move with the mention of possibility for more recent versions.

Would this also mean performance ratings for VRChat Android/PCVR would change or is this to early to tell?

6 Likes

Really excited for the switch to Unity 2021, I was seriously concerned we would be losing a lot of worlds moving forward! Already dropped an application not too long ago, hoping to hear back soon!

2 Likes

Always good to hear about a unity version upgrade. Is there any word on phys bones/ contacts making it to worlds or constraints coming to Quest avatars?

also another question, is the unity version and sub version finalized or will that change as it has in the past over time up until release or can we start preloading a unity version for the new up and coming update?

As noted a few times in the Dev Update text, no, it isn’t:

You don’t need to do anything right now to prepare for this update, so please don’t!

Even “preloading a new version” isn’t really useful-- the Unity editor is like… maybe 800MB for the core install? So like two public instance avatars. And we’re a bit away from a full release. Chill :smiley:

1 Like

Please fix the long standing ray cast issues if you are moving to more non-VR platforms.

1 Like

Nope, nothin!

You might wanna read this, tl;dr is “no, the XR2 simply doesn’t have room”

1 Like

its super old avatars when there was 10x less players and 10x less features and 10x smaller avatars, I dont think its something to care about.
If they want to save space tho… and traffic as thats usally more expensive… please allow splitting avatars into smaller chunks, imagine not needing to upload your whole avatar 200 times when testing each time changing 1 animation in x versions with different clothing. Clothing could be downloaded and versioned as separate batch, and any other part.
Even better if all these rindo avatars would just share single body texture downloaded and cached once (as long as its actually the same ofc), You could even have multiple qualities of single texture then and your client would download it depending on quality/seafty setting

But well so far we cant even cache images from new udon api.

1 Like

Looks like 2021 unity has PS5 support, is it possible we one day see vrchat on the console?

3 Likes

Does the Old Unused account also apply to banned accounts? Recently I’ve stop of modding but I would like to delete old account to use the names I had before.

VRChat Mobile? I think this is April Fools :rofl:. I don’t believe you as much as I want that :smiling_face_with_tear:

EXTERNALLY SCREAMS

Finally i can have a permanent instance for my group with spare phone! And the bonus of everyone drawing on my dead body! Woo!

It doesn’t, since accounts that have been banned have definitely been used before.

Nah, it’s still March. :slight_smile:

p a i n, but understandable. Thanks for a speedy reply

1 Like

I wish there was a voice in the VRChat development team like John Carmack, we really need someone who pushes a bit more on the Performance front-- I feel like many of us have seen avatars get around the set limitations of the quest (Audio, Avatar Lights and Constraints are all things I’ve seen on Quest working perfectly, at least in small capacity) so it feels a little odd to hear “It’s just not possible” when additional limitation lifts are brought up.

I mean, isn’t that also why we have performance adjustments? We can custom tailor performance if it starts to be an issue-- And hell, now we’re able to use Web Browsers while on Quest, something both Meta and I believe the VRchat team at one point or another had referred to as “Unlikely/Impossible” for performance reasons. But it’s here.

Not to sound rude or ungrateful, this is a fantastic update and of course the team is doing a great job keeping them consistent-- I just HAVE to imagine someone on the team does or has made the argument for more capabilities on Quest, or if not, I do kind of wish there was someone in there.

2 Likes

VRChat needs this upgrade. Before I could do tiered rendering without EAC and get almost 20% free performance boost. But until now this feature has not been officially implemented.

1 Like

IMO, It’s one of those “Give an inch, take a mile” scenarios. If they allow those components for Quest, people will go out of their way to abuse them. And for the average user, they won’t know what to adjust in order to curb the performance issues this would undoubtedly bring.

VRChat
PCChat
AndroidChat
PSChat

1 Like