Developer Update - 26 January 2023

Hey what’s up! I’m loving these quest hand tracking updates, definitely will be very nice qol updates haha.

My question is, will there be a way to open/interact with the avatar options menu (on controllers it’s opened by pressing and holding the button that opens the menu) with hand tracking any time soon? There tends to be avatar customization options under that menu, which is only accessible with controllers atm (at least to my knowledge).

Just curious if this is in the pipeline or anything

1 Like

There are probably some difficulties with this.
The only other application I know which does this is NeosVR, and it cannot swap between VR and desktop unless the game started with SteamVR also being started.
Can’t initialize SteamVR or similar without restarting the whole application, that is.

Nothing stopping you from having a desktop mode while VR is initialized, hence NeosVR can do it that way.

I don’t really see the point in doing this for VRChat though, as there is no need to hotswap, unlike in NeosVR where you might be creating a world in-game and hop between desktop for creation and VR for testing.

Please submit all bug reports to the canny!

Just spitting my hopes and dreams here.

An avatar discovery page creators can opt into would probably be the best way to keep the current expected behaviour of avatars, while giving people the choice to make their avatars searchable.

Implementing a whole new UI panel and trending algorithm for avatars could take a bit I suppose, I do hope they have something planned though.

P.S. would be funny if you could only make Poor or better avatars searchable, like fallback avatars only let you do Good.

Just made a Feedback post about it, I feel it is different enough from basic avatar search to have a separate post.

1 Like

Nice, though can you reduce the padding? The excessive padding makes it harder to read, at least on the big menu view of this. I also like the darker background, not the pseudo dark-mode gray.

Relevant Canny: Canny

Hey- It’s been a decently long while since it was promised to get STT services on vrchat. I’m not trying to be combatitive- but I haven’t seen anything in regards to that, and I was wondering if we can get a little insight onto whether it’s still being developed?

I mean for STT most people just use some sort of OSC Program, not sure if it’s really needed for them to directly support something like this.

1 Like

STT services generally cost money to use, at VRChat’s scale that might just be unrealistic.
If they used something like Microsoft’s Windows voice recognition, they would instead get complaints about the quality (it sucks).

OSC programs let people pay for whatever service works best for them. (seems to usually be Microsoft Azure cloud STT services)

Last I recall, we were investigating feasibility. We did not promise an implementation! Promise is a strong word.

We prioritized text chat and OSC over all else as that would solve most issues and allow community members to build their own tools to provide those features if desired (which they did!)

We may get to STT and STTS natively eventually but for now they are in the “not currently on a plan or roadmap” status.

Not a bad idea!

1 Like

Ah okay, my bad. I thought it was on the road map considering the talk about it at the beginning. But I now understand the feasability issues.

1 Like

Any words about the recent EAC bypass? I see more and more users modding the game again.

Can’t comment on any specific security work but we continually work with our partners (including but not limited to EOS/Epic) to improve security for VRChat.

I’d use it while working on avatars. Some tests need vr some don’t. Also would be useful to switch to desktop mode and have a break wearing headset without having to leave and come back twice.

Friends decide to watch a movie? Good time to switch to desktop for a good chunk of that time. Or maybe it isn’t a good movie so everyone is throwing popcorn around instead of watching the movie, quickly get back in VR for that.

Need to be a passenger in a flying vehicle to talk someone through flying it? Switch to desktop to avoid motion sickness.

If VRChat had the ability to switch between VR and desktop on the fly, I’d use it even if VRChat would crash to desktop 25% of every switch.

We previously had this in an experimental branch, but I believe some changes made it non-functional.

It’s helpful, but it also is chiefly useful for highly engaged expert users on PC. That doesn’t make it a no-go, but it does make it harder to place into a priority queue as we’ve got a lot of work to do focusing on making the broader experience more enjoyable!

Gesture Lock: Hold your left thumb and pinky together to disable all finger tracking gestures except for the quick menu.

Can this be set as default in settings? When I’m on my Quest I will use my controllers as the primary input, but set the controllers down when I want to use my hands — The default for the Quest OS is automatic switching between the two.

However, gesture controls in VRChat make this difficult. I don’t want to move or control my avatar with gestures, beyond maybe bringing up the action menu. The ability to set gesture lock on by default would be nice.

the avatar should really be loaded server-side on upload to check all performance metrics rather than having the client generate them, having the client generate performance metrics is why avatar loading is so slow in certain cases

I personally have 173 uploaded avatars, imagine how many avatars are out there. xD
They’d have to run that in a Unity environment, I expect server costs to be higher than the actual multiplayer functionality for that.

As much as it would prevent assetbundle crashers and lessen load hitches, I don’t think it would be feasible cost-wise.

1 Like

Ok, then calculate on upload (on the uploader’s device), have that as a “preview” which isn’t guaranteed to be correct then calculate again on client-side in game on avatar load, better than not knowing anything about the avatar you are about to load

Hm, I’ve had concerns about modded SDKs with this, but a mixed system would be interesting!
Doesn’t solve the hitches, but does mean you could hide most VeryPoor avatars without even downloading them.