Developer Update - 26 January 2023

I started using VCC, once VCC gets an update will I have to do some mumbo jumbo to replace it or will it just auto-update?

You click the big ol “Update!” text, watch some installer windows go by, and then you’re done. :smiley: Takes about 10 seconds on my PC.

4 Likes

Any ETA on the revised UI for VCC?

2 Likes

I’d like to enquire about the possibility for the rating system work more of a tallying rating system. where it will take all stats into account like Poly count, VRAM, Material slots, and not just the worst outlier, you can have a pretty well optimized avatar using 2 Mats 73k tris and 50mb or VRAM and be very poor along side a 24Mat 220k tris 360mb VRAM avatar and both be very poor while one of them would not be really the case. the above mentioned definitely not being great or anything but having the semi optimized one deserving of very poor while the aforementioned one is for sure. having a system where each stat is rated and scaled based off of all stats. I wanted to see if this has ever been an idea the team has had?

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the feedback. This is good stuff!
I’m also interested in figuring out a way to keep search results persistent. You’re right in assuming that it’ll take some doing to get that feature figured out, but it certainly has been on my mind at the very least. I’ll bring up your feedback with the rest of the UI team. Thanks again!

1 Like

Sure - we’re currently very close to releasing the next Closed Beta version, which will hopefully be the release candidate. You can follow along on that milestone I linked - the date is a bit flexible but you should be able to get an overall idea of what stage we’re on for releases, and which issues are expected to be resolved.

1 Like

Short answer? Yes. Very much so. It’s talked about basically weekly.

We’ve been wanting to iterate on the aged Perf Rating system for a while, but there’s a lot of stuff to do.

2 Likes

I like what you guys updated for the VRChat but there’s still an issue regarding to the Avatar Ripping and Avatar Stealing. Everything of the avatars assets can be steal easily on the CACHE FOLDER of VRChat that’s how the hackers/rippers can able to steal all of our avatars nowadays. Like when rippers are on public and same instance with use they can able to retrieve our avatars easily and without consent. Like we feel unsafe whenever we upload something to your game and even the worlds can be rip off easily.

Unlike ChillOutVR when you check theirs, avatars has encryption. Also the Mods can still be install through QUEST users or other vr users who can able to bypass EAC, they can steal the avatars and cheat to the vr games. Like no matter what we do, even the locked avatars can be open by them. Rippers are still out there to rip off the public, paid and commission avatars. They can able to search the private uploads, they rip, download and upload straight to their ripping websites. I hope you guys do something for this. I love this game but it’s sad to know that it is still not safe playing this whenever there’s still people keep stealing stuff to anyone.

1 Like

I would honestly love to see this being integrated into the game to better understand what avis are tanking my fps, as well as having multiple benchmarks as to what’s considered Very Poor on a 4090 compared to Very Poor on a 1660.

Does the text input menu bug still occur?
Sometimes on Quest when I open a text box, the text input menu is bugged. For example, when searching worlds, it won’t say “Search Worlds”, it’ll say “Title” and I can’t type. When this happens, I have to reopen the text input menu before it works again.

Obviously as an outsider I can’t comment on exactly what VRC is doing / planning on doing on this, but I do wish to point out that to some extent this can never be truly resolved. If data is being sent to a local computer for temporary use, it will always be possible for a malicious actor to save (IE rip) that data. All you can do is make the process more cumbersome and frustrating. In doing so, you can dissuade a lot of casual rippers from stealing, but the most determined will eventually find a way. Things like encryption can be worked around by just grabbing the keys from memory (which has to be sent somehow, otherwise no one can see the data), and obfuscation merely delays the inevitable. Again, all you can do is raise the technical bar required so as few people as possible exist that are capable (or whom feel like putting in the work) of ripping content

I personally have a lot of experience in the Garrysmod mapping scene back in the day. People would try so hard to make their maps difficult to decompile, since it was common for others to steal maps and edit something small before reuploading as their own. There were techniques that made things more annoying to decompile, but eventually better de-compilers came out. Thats why there are 5 billion darkRP downtown maps.

That being said, I do hope the team does continue putting forward an effort to curb asset ripping, though I understand you guys can’t really talk in detail about your methodology.

Any update on the bloom slider not applying on world join?

1 Like

I dont mind if they ripped only the public avatars or not commission ones but they got extended even the private avatars are being exposed easily and somebody can just rip those off with or without clients but recently ripping got worst they can just get it through cache folder if you observe from ChillVR’s stuff, it is hidden and they just coded well that’s what i am hoping for VRCHat to improved. VRChat keep updating things but when it comes for Avatar Ripping, they didnt do anything. While NSFW avatars when someone report it, they made some actions for it so i am hoping same with the avatar stealing or ripping. I felt bad for the avatar creators who made a lot of effort, and time to make beautiful avatars and within just a minute rippers just rip it without them knowing or what’s worst is claiming as their own and selling it.

I hope you hear us and i hope there are some actions regarding to the Avatar Ripping because it’s getting worst and worst each day.

Will there be an avatar searching feature in the future? A lot of avatar creators either don’t know how or just don’t want to make an avatar world yet they have a bunch of public avatars. It would make it a lot easier to get public avatars and prevent people from gatekeeping them (not letting people clone).

1 Like

On the topic of UI changes, could we please get avatar cloning into somewhere in the quick settings menu? It’s a real pain to have to dig all the way into the main performance menu and click through into the the Comfort settings menu inside just to briefly enable it to share an avatar with someone.

1 Like

We put forth quite a bit of effort on this front, and you are correct in that we can’t talk about it too much.

Wasn’t aware this was a bug? Got a Canny?

2 Likes

I wish canny had better embeds but that’s probably canny’s fault

Here is a request for the same.
I really hope this is addressed as soon as possible because it has become a real hassle to visit new worlds.

I just want to know when is vrchat going to fix the bug that avatar movements after spending some time on a world looks stutter for the other players but in my game perspective looks 100% smooth, i have months since i have this bug and people dont stop complaining about my avatar movements that looks very weird, a friend of mine helps me recording to see how this bug is, and im 100% sure is not internet problem since i tested my other 2 computers on the same internet router and they dont have this problem also i play 100% via ethernet and this bug even happens when i play on Desktop, so in the computer that i have that weird bug have a I7 12700k and a RTX 3090 so i dont know what’s going on lol, i will leave some videos so people can see how this bug is related

Dropbox - 20230126_181516.mp4 - Simplify your life ← Friend Record me to compare my movements to the other players

Dropbox - 20230126_183316.mp4 - Simplify your life ← Bug still happens even using VRCHAT default avatars 100% optimizated

MY Perspective ← This is my game perspective

1 Like