Developer Update - 17 August 2023

The Android app sounds pretty sleek, though according to Google Play my 12gb Android 13 phone is apparently not supported :laughing:.

World preloading also looks super useful! Not sure why it’s being tucked away in the world page.
I think it could be the default for most people, as it skips on a lot of time lost not speaking to the people you were talking with when you transition worlds together.
Have you considered creating a toggle to make preloading worlds the default? Or have a prompt every time someone wants to join a world, letting them choose if they want to leave now and download the world in the loading screen, or stay in the instance a little longer while the world loads?

I was curious how the pre-loading feature will work if you join another world while pre-loading a world. I see we can only queue up one world at a time for pre-loading and was interested to know how this interaction would be handled. Does the pre-load continue, despite loading the secondary new world you’re joining, or does that secondary world push it out of the “pre-loaded” queue?

Really want to try out VRChat with a Smartphone but unfortunately I’m a iPhone user.
But can’t wait to play with smart phone users tonight!

If you can preload the world, you can get rid of the loading screen, its only necessary when you’re not preloading the world.

Awesome update, as always! Off topic, but is there any word on the Imposter system? I haven’t heard anything since the dev post back in April, but then again I may have missed it. Looking forward to seeing what y’all do next!

2 Likes

What if I try to preload an updated version of the world I am already in? Didn’t see it mentioned, so wondering if you tested that.

Would’ve been nice to have during the most recent Vket cuz man I had to use a slow connection at the time and it was frustrating :joy:

But I’m glad this is finally coming! It’s a feature I’ve wanted for a long time.

Remote image loading was implemented right before a vket with a lot of manga samples. The event used the video player method to load an atlas for each sample. Not the last time they’ll just miss something.

Still have to unload old scene, load new scene, connect to instance and sync up. I guess maybe that is instantaneous for some peeps but not for me.

Try it and get back to us? (fellow forum users)

I’d expect it to pause preload.

Is there not a way to manually show very poor avatars like on Quest?

Last I used Quest, you could select a user and select “show avatar” to display that user’s avatar.

The limitation on setting avatars a minimum of poor only applied to the default; i.e you can’t show very poor avatars by default, but you can show very poor avatars on a user by user basis.

This is a really cool update.

That was what i was waiting to get vrc+.

I just tried the mobile version and it seem to work great so far.

That being said, i see you comming.

Pushing me to make quest content and optimise them as much as possible …

fine. I’ll do it :sweat_smile:

This is more of a suggestion but has the vrchat team considered partnering with a service like now.gg or some other mobile game streaming platform to allow people on lower end phones and iOS to play the android version? This could be a nice alternative to the normal iOS version of the game as chances are iOS will end up having the least amount of content available overall. Plus it could finally allow cloud streaming for players on desktop and maybe even let people play through the xbox’s or ps4’s with the added gamepad support!

As someone with an often very slow connection I’m very happy about world preloading.

I kinda also wanted to prod a bit regarding the loading process for avatars. I normally prefer to use options that either show everyone as bots or fallbacks until I show their avatar, but there’s a lot of drawbacks to how it’s currently done.

I have no way of previewing how large an avatar is before I show it, and the only way to cancel an avatar download is to rejoin a world, so I’m always hesitant to show avatars because I can’t easily make educated decisions about which to load and the time cost of rejoining a world to cancel one that’s too large adds to it.

I understand there’s likely a lot of technical reasons why avatar loading works the way it does, but I wonder if it would at least be a relatively simple fix to continue showing the bot or fallback while the avatar is loading, and replace it upon the completion of the download, instead of having a very imprecise preview in the meantime.

At the very least that, and being able to cancel the download of an avatar, would ease the woes of avatar loading on a slow connection quite a bit.

While I do support the phasing out of Very poor on mobile, please make getting to poor rating a bit easier. 20k poly’s is difficult to reach on existing avis without sacrificing model details big time. 45k or so would be neat, the other restrictions already in place are fine.

Point was, that you can (not yet of course, this is a suggestion) skip the part where in the loading screen you have to click enter. Preload world, click join, everything goes black and then you apppear in said world.

I love this idea of limiting the amount of simultaneous VeryPoor avatars. xD

People try to show VeryPoor avatar and another gets hidden.
VeryPoor whack-a-mole!

Sounds like a great incentive to optimize without too much restriction.

I know Tupper said that any alpha/beta feature announcements often are 2-3 months out once they announce them on the dev blog. But that’s specific in way of wording when it’s mentioned.

So I’d anticipate it may be a few months at least before we see it. I am really excited for it since it would be incredibly beneficial for everyone. How cool would it be to see a single material impostor for every verypoor avatar in a lobby? Club worlds might just look incredible.

I don’t think you understand what the Very Poor restriction is going to do to the mobile version. People won’t optimize more, people will just… not play the mobile version and it will die.

This is a silly way to “force” people to only ever use Poor avatars in every world. This kind of goes against everything that people like about the game (the expression, freedom to create, etc.). You already have the hidden-by-default and blocking features on Quest that work fine for performance. Making it mandatory to never look at a Very Poor avatar is a giant middle finger to everyone.

Sure, the game might turn into a slideshow, but that should be MY decision to make. Not yours. This feels like an underhanded way to kill Very Poors, even in private worlds. Yeah, Poor or better should be preferred in publics, but there are countless things only technically possible with a Very Poor ranking.

Come on, guys. I’m sure I speak for a lot of people when I say if this arbitrary (technical wise, we know phones can render these avatars, its just gonna be a balancing act) restriction remains in place, we just simply won’t play the mobile version. Which sucks, because I was looking forward to it for my lunch breaks at work.

1 Like

Sorry for the doublepost, but no, you can’t. You can’t even force it on - mobile users can never see Very Poor avatars.

I have a hobby of bothering my quest friends about avatar stats for various avatars. Basically if they really like an avatar and use it for a whole day I’ll ask about it. A lot of them are just shader conversions, so if it has 200k poly and 40 mats on PC, that is what it has on Quest. Rarely will an avatar have a few more polygon on quest because of hair. The quest shaders can’t be told to draw both sides, so it needs some more

I think there should be an upper polygon count on mobile/quest. Start with a million polygon limit, then 500k, then 250k. Or maybe directly to 125k

Or hard cap quest to PC-Good. 70k poly, lots of material slots…

70k/125k sound sensible to me, and the higher numbers might be more for amusement from user complaints… I have never seen a million polygons on quest but I’m sure someone needs them all

1 Like

So the day of reckoning begins…