Developer Update - 12 October 2023

Well you might want to start right now instead of contradicting yourself. :slight_smile:

Not to be rude, but if you’re going to set harsh limits, then abide by them. Otherwise it becomes a gray area and you have to then moderate a gray area, which causes all sorts of problems.

What happens if I write out a reply that takes 15+ minutes because of certain information, and then it gets deleted because it was off topic? What if people sense favoritism? What happens if you spend more time asking people to stay on topic, which makes the thread even more unreadable?

There are all things that go through my head when this happens, especially since I am a very literal type of person. So if I see you say to keep threads on-topic, but then go off topic, it signals to me that I can also go off topic.

Edit: And of course, I can understand the logical sense of this. Not making posts super long, not replying with garbage or insults, etc. Some of the replies on last dev update were getting quite long. But it’s hard to tell if this is a polite ask, or if this is going to be enforced. And if it is enforced, to what level?

2 Likes

Is there any chance that in a incoming patch we get utilities for friends lists?
I have posted this is the canny and it’s something that I have talked many people about it but would be great that you can have a general Status but if not you can change to custom to assign individually to those friend lists, if I assign people for Friend List A they can see me green, People from List B can see me Orange.
Why? Sometimes you add people because organization or usability as bots and etc, but there is no real connection between you and them, and If you are green I had the moments when those people Joined me and it’s not like I dont like to talk but i prefer to see them in certain events and not in my other friends time and that Force me to be all the time in away (for me and for many people), So is there a chance we can have something like that soon?

1 Like

Excited to see how this shakes out when its finalized!

Question about Branding.Breaking.Bumps, I would assume the goal would be to avoid branding changes wherever possible? Seems like most of the recent and eventually stuff (the unity upgrade, udon 2, creator companion, etc.) are all aiming to just be a breaking (or the unity change is more of a bump?) change. Where old content can be migrated pretty easily.

a final “this is the version we’re using”

Does this mean we’ll like, stick with 2022 or whatever it is you decide on permanently?
Or will we keep advancing unity versions as deemed necessary?

For the content gating is there going to be something for in case new users lie about there age to get past the content gating when creating a new account? Like a report system if we see someone that is underage but still seeing the content gated material?

In addition to that post being before yours, so like, I read it before yours, there’s some questions I’m willing to answer no matter what. Stuff about CE is one of those.

If, somehow, someone turns “we’re still working on CE” into a 80 page wall of text war, I will be both impressed and disappointed.

Please stop trying to turn “please keep things on topic” into Yet Another Off-Topic Wall of Text, Dark.

Pretty much, yeah. Branding changes are huge. They don’t happen often. We’ve only ever had three.

It means we’ll decide on precisely which version of Unity 2022 we’ll use.

Just like today, if it is discovered and proven beyond a reasonable doubt by our Trust and Safety team that someone has defined an incorrect age in their agreement to our Terms of Service for the purpose of bypassing safety systems, moderations will be applied.

2 Likes

Thank you

So me being concerned about something that directly is mentioned in a dev update is off topic? See what I mean?

Like I get I’m being a bit obtuse about this, but I am asking these silly questions on purpose to get clarification. I don’t like flying on assumptions and then getting burned later. This happens all the time on Discord and is why I left Reddit.

I’ll just assume it’s common sense. But if I have something to say, I am going to say it.

1 Like

For the content reporting, what is going to be done about people who lie about their age, or make new accounts to bypass it? Is it going to just be by a report basis, meaning people could spam their way into someone getting banned, or will there be extra efforts to actually take these allegations seriously? I love the content gating, however unless theres extra effort on the back end as well to deal with those who try to take advantage of it, it’ll just be a small step.

Not everyone is recording their game 24/7, so it’d be difficult to send hard proof unless there was some kind of log that could clip certain times or conversations. (Though…thats a whole other can of worms.)

Will we get documentation on how to update along with some sort of a video tutorial? Might be a good way to inform people that learn better by video than text. Just an idea, I’m perfectly ok with both.

Please see my response to ksnipe here

If you report a user for misrepresenting their age to VRChat in order to bypass safety systems, it’s expected that you provide some kind of info or proof. Regardless if you provide that or not, our Trust and Safety team will investigate as well.

There going to be a way to report users under 18 that are in worlds marked as adult content only?
What about a way to report children under the age of 13 so they can be removed from the platform?

Looking good! Is this going to replace the quick menu and big menus in game? Or is it just a log in experience before you load up the game?

You would do this through our moderation report form for now, just the same as it’s been. We may add other methods in the future.

The latter, it’s a “browse VRChat without going into VRChat” front-end.

1 Like

Responding to emphasize for folks scrolling this thread - I strongly agree with this.
Test your stuff! Daily-drive the Open Beta if you can!

I’ve been using the VRChat Open Beta (plus Steam & SteamVR betas) on Linux for many weeks now. There are some Linux-specific crashing issues I’ve already reported on Canny (e.g. the AVPro + Proton Experimental crash) that have forced me to revert to VRChat stable every time I actually play, but I still test if the crashes happen every update.

(Tangent: as of the past three days there’s a crash on VR launch with Proton Experimental, but it’s not related to the VRChat Open Beta as it happens on stable, too. It’s a Proton Experimental change. Update: This crash is supposed to be fixed now.)

Please don’t wait for the VRChat stable update to find out if things broke, especially if you’re doing anything unusual (such as VRChat on Linux). It sucks to plan to hang out with friends, only to wind up in a multi-hour tech troubleshooting session.

SDK is still planned to go into beta first before live?

Hopefully the in-game reporting for missing content tags will actually do something, because it clearly doesn’t do anything for groups that break the TOS and Creator Guidelines. Those always require a report via the website for anything to be done.

Also, if you could clarify regarding the content warning tags as it relates to avatars, should tags be applied based on the capabilities of an avatar or how you plan to wear it? Because most avatars on Gumroad and Booth would fall under at least one of these tags if it’s the former.

If someone has an avatar capable of being “Sexually Suggestive” for example, but they never use the toggles that would actually make it appear that way, should it still be tagged as such?

This is really a good question. I would say yes because even if you never use those toggles, the avatar is still considered NSFW. in the contrary, everyone could be free to tag or not depending on “how often” they use such content, which would become totally subjective and inaccurate.

1 Like

pretty nice

that’s good to do that report when people is missing something is not good in those avatars needs to put warnings too violence or something else :+1: