Whats cool with 2019.4.29f1

No but really curious. What new thingies can we do now?

Also I love it

short list:

• Dark mode for free
  • Improved icons/new/better icons for supported files
  • Better garbage collector (less lag spikes, more smooth performace)
  • Ability to more directly set the levels of optimization (You can tell vrchat what resolution to use for textures per preset, lods, etc)
  • Better shader handling/Memory usage, VRC should now properly clear out the memory of shaders that get unloaded, instead of keeping them in memory
  • Better prefabs
  • Built-in shader editor (Shader graph) to easily create shaders Unreal style Unity Shader Graph | Build Your Shaders Visually with Unity | Unity
  • Better lightmapper, more accurete and better performance lighting wise
  • More stuff getting pushed onto the GPU rather than CPU for no real reason
  • Better/More accurate physics engine
    • Not sure if VRC will implement this feature, but VRC’s sdk can become a package module which would allow it, and something like udon# to be updated automatically as engine packages.
3 Likes

thanks for making this list, been wanting to know the real differences, i didnt notice many aside from it switching build from pc to quest/vice versa way quicker compared to 2018 unity which is super convenient for world creators like me, i personally dont like the new look of the udon graph icons.unknown (1)

1 Like

there’s a plugin for that, but I forgot the name. I’ll try looking it up when I get home.

I mean for the beginning world creator there is nothing cool and new. I myself am stuck on 18 atm but in the end it really doesn’t matter.

@gexthegecko
Actually, the improved light mapper is pretty good for new world creators.

Since the GPU light mapper doesn’t take forever to compile. In fact, it only takes a couple minutes at most.

But, unless you’re updating your world with new stuff, or making a new one. There’s no major point right now to migrate to 2019.

also @mista_roy couldn’t find it. It seems to have been removed. But I did find this while looking, which is pretty neat:

i dont quite follow, plugin?

yeah i havent tried the lightmapper settings till the 2019 update, not sure which one is best for least size.

I like the new icons. made it super easy to find

1 Like