State of RTMP / RTSP / RTSPT support

Ostensibly, VRChat supports RTSP / RTMP protocol streams through AVPro support, introduced in VRChat 2020.3.3p1 . However, I suspect from both my own testing and comments in the VRChat Discord that such streams don’t actually work. This thread attempts to summarize the current state of things.

Using GitHub - aler9/rtsp-simple-server: ready-to-use RTSP / RTMP server and proxy that allows to read, publish and proxy video and audio streams and an RTMP-muxed H264/AAC input (from OBS), I’m able to open an RTSP and RTMP stream with VLC, at rtsp://example.com/stream.

In vrchat, if I use rtsp://example.com/stream with the VRCAvProVideoPlayer component’s Video URL field, the video fails to load; I think this is because AVPro assumed rtsp means “RTSP over UDP”.

If I use rtspt://example.com/stream, the video loads fine. However, the AAC audio doesn’t play, and I instead hear weird pops and clicks every so often. Searching the VRChat discord for “AAC” shows a few other people mentioning the same problem, with no known remedies. There is a mention of changing the AAC sample rate from 44.1k to 48k might work, but 48k resulted in the same breakage for me.

Toggling the ‘Use Low Latency’ property in the VRCAvProVideoPlayer component doesn’t seem to change anything. Other Discord comments mention that the latency seems to drift to 5-10 seconds anyway, which makes RTSP no better than HLS streams (which work fine with AVPro).

If I use rtmp://example.com/stream, the video doesn’t load at all.

If anybody does have a working RTSP/RTMP stream setup with working audio, please reply to this thread with details of your setup.

tried without defining the protocol?