Is their an avatar asset that is the size of the average VR chat player?

Long story short, I wanna make sure my world is scaled so that nothing is too big, or too small. Anyone got a prefab/asset that might help me with this? (Alternatively, tips on how to make it to scale would be nice too!) Thanks in advance! :smiley:

I ususally import my own avatar to get a scale reference, but you can also use UnityChan

Or Kyle

3 Likes

Thank you!!

I’m no expert but I hit a similar issue when building my own worlds. Unity works to a metric scale of 1 unit = 1 meter but everything’s relative and I’ve found that quite a few VRChat avatars are a little smaller than what might be thought of as normal human scale and that seems to affects the scale they perceive the world at, not just their physical height. That’s the part I’d really like someone to explain - how the scaling and positioning of the camera view gizmo affects perceived scale. I’ve also read that the avatar’s arm length is important:

It’s not the height that matters, but the proportions of your armspan compared to the rest of the body.
If your avatar has disproportionately small arms, your feet will never reach the ground in game.
Conversely, if the avatar has super long gorilla arms, the floor would be at waist level.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/438100/discussions/1/3010053344552994555/

So for example, the freely available Kaziu avatar (made by BlueASIS for the Junkyard world) is very low to the ground but has the camera view perspective of a huge character. try it. It’s really odd, but quite cool too.

On the whole my 1:1 worlds work ok, but when I’ve imported avatars that I had from other non-VRChat projects (done lifelike to world scale) I’ve found that they’re a little taller than many people I meet.

VRC specific avatars don’t adhere to the standard unity scale, which is why I suggested those unity avatars in the first place.

Unity-Chan is the average height a lot of vrc avatars are at. While Kyle adheres to the normal standard and is a reference for a normal height.

it’s true that 1 unit in unity should be 1m, however this scale isn’t standardized across tools and exports and you’ll find that this scale and vary wildly between asset sources.

which is where my original suggestion comes from, since they’re somewhat the right scale.

Thanks @Luna_Delrey As I mentioned, I’m pretty new to the VRChat SDKs but I do know Unity. “this scale isn’t standardized across tools and exports” doesn’t make much sense to me. Can you explain what you mean, and where/why the discrepancies come in? An asset bundle out of Unity (which I’m guessing is all that the VRChat export process creates and uploads) is still just a Unity asset bundle, and should adhere to the rules of the engine. I do think the arbitrary nature of scale just comes down to so many avatars being relatively small (Unity Chan is a good case in point). A great example of this ‘incorrect’ scale inadvertently becoming a standard is the the Unity third person character model Ethan which was created too small (by the Unity devs) This led to a huge number of assets on the Asset Store being incorrectly scaled Scaling issues in Unity — polycount

It’s because in tools like maya, 1 unit = 1cm or in some cases inches. blender and 3ds might have arbitrary unit scales as well see: Transformations — Blender for 3D Printing

The reason a lot of vrc avatars are rather small has nothing to do with unity itself. And everything to do with this scale discrepancy between tools.

Most of these smaller avatard are converted MMD avatars which uses a different scale system as well. The scale chosen there (which is similar scale of unity chan) is because that’s the average height of Asians and is baked into the pmx file.

This is also the reason unity lets you specify what unit scale was used when importing assets, since there’s no real standard between tools. one artist might use 1 unit = 1 meter and another might be on 1 unit = 0.5m

I use a capsule its basically the standard height

2.5m is a good ceiling height, avatars are normally under 1.8m but need 2.25m for clearance, most my projects i run a 3-4m ceiling height for indoors as if someone does have a 2m+ avatar they don’t get stuck unless they stupid tall.
i also run doorways 1.5-2 wide unless they are teleport doors which can be the better choice