How to keep particles going after I stop a gesture?

I’ve been making avatars with constraint-based world particles for a while now, but there’s one thing I’ve never been able to figure out. Some people are able to make avatars where the particles they spawn (like a fireball for example) continue until they fizzle out even after I stop doing the gesture. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out how they manage to do this, but I can’t figure it out. Does anyone know how to let particles stay after a gesture stops? I’d appreciate it! >w<

Instead of enabling/disabling the particle system with your gesture you enable/disable the emission of particles, that way the particle system will always be visible but particles wont always be fired
tohruthumbs

2 Likes

Thanks Chii! Would you happen to know how to get that to work for the idle state? I can get it to work if I make another gesture with another hand but the particles go away if I return to idle or change gestures on the same hand, even when I make a custom idle animation.

I might not be understanding you correctly, but the method I was talking about should be working with idle state
I can try to describe it in more detail
You make a particle system of whatever you want on your model somewhere.
This particle system should stay on all the time, even in idle, however the emission module is set to 0/off
Now with your gesture you enable the emission module or set the emission to something higher than 0, for the duration of your gesture the particle system should fire particles, and when stop your gesture the particles should just stay there/fizzle out

Hmm, maybe I’m just doing it wrong. I’ll give it another look over in the morning and let you know what I find. thanks for the help. :3

After closer inspection, I realized that I did indeed have the particle system off. Switched that and I think it’ll work fine now. I’ll check it in a minute and let you know my results!