How do we avoid getting banned with tall avatars

“Avatars must not hide, obstruct, add/remove elements from, or affect/modify the appearance of the VRChat UI (such as nameplates).”

Really tall avatars within the sdk bounding box limit obstruct the nameplate.
Is this bannable now and how do we avoid this issue?

That specific part of the TOS was aimed at shaders that manipulate the nametag in some way, so just having the avatar be tall should be fine. However, they kept it vague so they can do what they want when they want to. I honestly wouldn’t worry about it.

I worry about it because I’ve experienced people getting banned for infractions that were pretty far fetched from other vague community guidelines, rather be safe than sorry
Moving the viewpoint higher seems to move the nameplate as well, obviously this is not an ideal solution at all, just looking to see if anyone out there knows a good way of getting around this issue to be safe

The problem is we can’t move the nameplate to fit avatars as they don’t trust us. If I remember correctly, the nameplate is half a meter above the viewpoint so as long as you have no mesh around that area you should be fine. It’s less the size of the avatar and more that the nameplate distance does not increase correctly according to head size.

yup exactly that’s the problem, I don’t know what to do about it, as not having any mesh there is not really an option, my head goes there haha

Me and chiiz wrote an email to the team about it as it is actually concerning considering we have avatars that size.

I’m sure it’s fine, but something doesn’t sit right fully with me. Clarification would be best at this point.

Turns out community guideline will only be enforced if blockage is intentional, in the case of big avatars it is deemed not intentional

2 Likes