Developer Update - 30 May 2024

I’m really excited watching the development of the VRC Constraints. Boops looks cool, and as others said, I think it would be topped off with a cherry by being able to send a short message in the boop. Nice work!

2 Likes

Please consider allowing me to mute boops globally, regardless of status. As well as mute boops from specific users.

I have ADHD and get distracted/annoyed easily, and I can see boops quickly becoming an annoyance, even if they are rate limited in their current form.

I just created a feature request for this.

I’ll be completely honest: It is really confusing that I’ve heard Tupper and other staff talk about the importance of dev time and how long a feature takes vs. it’s importance. Especially with Strasz previously talking about the contentious nature and potential social impacts of a “clock”. But then you release a feature that literally no one asked for and has actually negative social implications.

They certainly won’t kill VRChat. But not being able to block chatboxes for users without muting them is annoying. Still lots of people that abuse OSC to have annoying chatboxes.

11 Likes

If this goes live there has to be an option to disable them globally, I don’t want to worry whether opening my menu while streaming will fill my entire screen with emojis or potentially something against TOS. Going on red as the only way to mitigate this is unacceptable. Not to mention how invasive it can be outside of streaming, especially to those who have issues with being overstimulated.

3 Likes

Extra question then: I imagine for the user sending the boop that it’ll tell them they can’t send another boop until the last one has been interacted/dismissed? or at least grey out the button?

1 Like

Just to clarify, the “boop explosion” particle effect will only happen when you view the Notification itself in the Notifications menu (and only once per notification too), so if you’re having a chat with friends or playing a game then it shouldn’t distract you at all - All you’ll see is a small toast message. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Question, is there a process to “discourage” (or report) boops that are send out of malice? (besides blocking/unfriending)
I dont think theres anything stopping someone from sending skulls or thumbs down in a never ending stream.

It would be good to atleast limit the boop amount from one person to another by a cooldown time (like 15 to 20 minutes) so it cant be spammed

3 Likes

Boops seem fun! A good extra way of communicating with others, espeshally if you may wanna tell a friend you wanna move instance descreetly without others seeing if your uncomfortable, or even having other “emoji” phase systems between friends ^_^

One BIG suggestion, however:
Only make it so you have to ENABLE booping from specific people, perhaps like a friend request, but for boops! :D Having to disable booping altogether, or disable it for all (hundreds) of each of your friends on your friends list individually would be a nightmare. Thus instead of having to request booping from only your close friends would work way nicer ^-^

Would perhaps think having a friend folder set to “Allow booping” would work, BUT it wouldn’t, as some people would only be able to boop one way, if one person has their booping enabled, and the other doesn’t, so requesting means both parties both give content to send each other boops! ^o^

4 Likes

Not to mention “custom” emoji boops, if someone knows about someone with arachnophobia, they could just send a bunch of spider boops to them with nothing able to stop a dozen of spiders to come crawling out their message box.

4 Likes

That’s a fair suggestion! We’ll make sure the sender is made aware if the sending of a boop wasn’t successful.

1 Like

What is the execution order of the VRC constraints in relation to other VRC components, like physbones? I remember having issues with unity’s constraints interacting weirdly with physbones and colliders. Something like physbones evaluated the colliders before the constraints updated the colliders’ transforms.

1 Like

“Hide OSC chatboxes” would be helpful versus ones that are input from the Chatbox menu.

2 Likes

This is an interesting idea! My gut feeling is that “off by default” systems are likely to fall off in usage from obscurity, especially in a settings-rich environment like VRChat.

We’ll pass your feedback and all the other feedback here upwards for consideration.

While I think you have a great point, and I understand all the cases others have brought up here for abuse vectors (as noted above, thank you for all those, we’re passing those up) I have to ask the obvious… why would you be friends with someone like that? :cold_sweat:

3 Likes

Can I ask why this feature was implemented in the first place?

What problem is this solving? What value is this adding?

When you guys were in the meeting discussing boops as a feature, what was the selling factor on it?

10 Likes

Super hyped for these new constraint features, I use quite a bit of them on practically every avatar I use!

I have a small concern about a pretty niche trick constraints can do though!

At the moment, constraints can be used to do a cool little trick where you “mute” the player wearing the avatar by constraining the headbone to an object far above the player, moving the voice location. I’ve loved making use of this “feature” to make avatars that have a secret speech system (only wearers of the avatar can hear each others voice, while outside viewers hear alien noises), it’s a super fun and goofy effect that I’m hoping isn’t broken with these new constraints!

Looking forward to implementing these cool new features!

1 Like

Made an account just to say please, please, please, add a way to disable this before it goes live. I have severe ADHD and anxiety issues and this would be extremely unfriendly to both of them.

3 Likes

Many of us friend people for utility such as hosts for events, general staff for communities, etc. There are many reasons why someone would be on your friends list.

4 Likes

VRC constraints will run at the same point in the frame as Unity constraints, which is necessary to keep existing avatars with constraints on them working as they did before. This happens after physbones are solved.

Can’t say I’ve seen that one before! We’re functionally matching all constraint behaviors which means it should still be supported, and we’ll be responding to any reported issues with special setups like this as this system goes through beta testing.

2 Likes

not for long after they pull such a move, but its hard to predict people’s behavior

4 Likes

A relief to hear, thank you! Will certainly be testing this behavior with the upcoming betas!

The boop system NEEDS a way to be fully turned completely off or be off by default and opt in. I don’t care if its rate limited, so many of us friend people for utility or hosting reasons I absolutely do not need people to have even more ability to send me pop up notifications.

I really don’t understand what made this seem like a good idea to be on by default and have zero way to stop them other than blocking that won’t be mega abused like facebook pokes and msn nudges were.

It seemingly has zero functional purpose other than to spam people, especially without any kind of messaging function and being emoji exclusive. I could see it being cute if you had like 5-10 people on your friends list, but when most users have hundreds of friends on their friends list this a genuinely pointless notification spam system that needs to be able to be turned off.

12 Likes