Developer Update - 29 February 2024

So will stuff made in udon 1 be fully compatible with the udon 2 compiler?

1 Like

Yep, that’s the idea!
However, we recommend re-uploading worlds with the Udon 2 SDK to take advantage of the performance gains in Udon 2.

5 Likes

Very excited to see actual progress on both Udon 2 and Persistence (stuff I’ve been eager to get my hands on / see what others do with)!

Out of curiosity how does the setup for player objects work? Is it only one script / object that will get networking when instantiated or will the networking work for multiple objects (ex: multiple vrc pickups parented to the initial player object)?
Also will multiple player objects be supported per world?

1 Like

Is the persistence mentioned going to be cloud saved or cached on the user’s pc (or their device)?

1 Like

In editor, it’s just a single object which you put a component on. That source object is then disabled and kept around as the “original”. When a player joins, that object is duplicated and network IDs are assigned.

You can have multiple separate synced objects per player object, in the children. You can also have multiple completely independent player objects, which is of course very important for prefabs.

6 Likes

It’s stored server-side! But it’s only available while a player is in the instance.
So different players can access each other’s player data to make scripting easier.

^from Fax’s comment earlier

1 Like

Just commenting to note that I attempted to reach out to the “ux @ vrchat . com” email listed in the user research form and was met with an “Address not found” error.

Thought I’d comment here considering it’s on-topic and will probably get noticed and fixed faster this way haha

3 Likes

Oh. Will follow up internally, thanks for flagging! I’ll comment when we get this sorted.

3 Likes

I will second being able to have global data across worlds, being the developer of a system multiple world creators use it would be nice to be able to have global settings for said system. A great example is audiolink for if you have very specific settings you like for your avatars

5 Likes

saving in udon is happening udonbros we’re so back

gone are the days of password systems for saving

4 Likes

Happy for native persistence at long last. Also appreciate that VRC did not break VRCX’s interim solution as was originally discussed a while ago.

And yes please more world fav slots/rows. VRC proudly boasts the number of worlds it has and then only lets you fav a relatively limited number of them, it’s a bit silly!

4 Likes

It sounds like the player object is basically a native and faster built in version of Cyan’s PlayerObject Pool? Or does it add a little bit more beyond what that library provides?

1 Like

We updated the Google form! It was supposed to be " ur@vrchat.com" not ux. Sorry for the confusion!

2 Likes

It’s basically Cyan’s player pool, yes. The interface is slightly different, but it’s all the same goal and should have the same core feature set. However, then it also has persistence on top of that. You can disable persistence on a per-object basis though if you don’t want that.

4 Likes

Hmmm…
I’m thinking of two changes:

1. 4 preset color themes if not subscribed to VRC+

2. More reporting options (user is underaged, etc)

1st one is because some people aren’t used to looking at blue all the time and can switch to a different color they can take for a long time (possibly based off of user rankings?)

2nd one is because…
(Well, why do you think?)

2 Likes

Whether udon2 has opened restrictions on URL construction is really important for string and image loading

3 Likes

Udon2 does not currently have any changes to the VRCUrl system, that’s a separate issue.

1 Like

Have you considered opening up vrcurl’s build restrictions, perhaps requiring some security measures such as notifying players before building?

3 Likes

VRC+ would be basically worthless if it didn’t have extra world + avatar groups (besides being able to make groups now), lmao

1 Like

Yes, this is something we discussed in great detail internally, looking forward to when we can share the plans.

3 Likes